Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Styling the comments area title font, form field and label font, and form field sizes

Old Aug 1, 2009, 12:53 PM
jkintzele

6 posts · Jul 2009
Hello Everyone, I'm a WP/Atahualpa noob, but I have to say, after test driving a number of themes, Atahualpa really impresses me.

Here is my question: I'm interested in styling the comments area to match the rest of my customizations for posts. Here is a link to a single post with a few comments:

UsenetAdvantage Blog

Please look at the comments area below the post. I'd like to alter the font styling of the "2 comments to The UsenetAdvantage.net Blog is Coming Soon!" and "Leave a Reply" text so that they match the post title style (which uses a smaller orange Verdana font), and I'd also like to adjust the size/font of the form fields and form field labels.

The style elements I specify in the ATO "Body, Text, & Links" and "Posts & Pages" don't seem to be picked up for the comments area, and I also can't find a built-in option - the "Style and configure Comments" section doesn't offer the option.

In reading these forums, I see that some of these matters are addressed with CSS inserts, but I'm not familiar with these. I have some experience with XHTML/CSS, and have worked with JS, but never with a PHP driven site. Can anyone give me some insights that'll help me get the work done wthout breaking things?

Thanks, John

Last edited by jkintzele; Aug 1, 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: I forgot to subscribe to my post!
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:45 AM
jkintzele

6 posts · Jul 2009
OK, I read another post about the use of Firebug to inspect and tweak elements on the fly. Now I'd like to make my changes permanent using CSS inserts. Can anyone point me to a primer on CSS inserts? Thanks, John
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:53 AM
jkintzele

6 posts · Jul 2009
Nevermind, I sorted it.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 01:26 PM
coghead

2 posts · Nov 2009
Hi jkintzele. I am a very new and green user looking to do the same thing - specifically I want to shrink the font size of the Comment section title.

When you say that you've 'sorted it' do you mean that you used css inserts, or did you find a non-css way to fix the problem? I'd love to fix it without css (as that involves a whole new level of learning that I've shoved to 'long-term').

Thanks for any reply.

Gord
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
coghead
to change teh style of a post FOOTER go to ATO->Style POSTS & PAGES->FOOTER Box
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:18 AM
jkintzele

6 posts · Jul 2009
Hi coghead - Yeah, I used the CSS Inserts, and the learning curve / required modifications aren't bad. Here is what I recommend:
- Get Firefox, and especially get the Firebug addon.
- Go to your "under construction" blog, and then to the page with the comment section title you want to style
- Activate Firebug and then click on the title you want styled. Look at Firebugs right-hand pane at the bottom - by clicking on the title Firebug finds and shows the default CSS - and, cool thing - you can make on the fly changes to the CSS to see how it would look. (These aren't permanent of course).
- Play with the relevant CSS in Firebug, falling back to Google or w3schools to do the (very small) amount of learning for this task
- Once you have a sense of the required change, go back to the ATO options - CSS Inserts are one of the very last. Add your insert. Here is an example of an insert I used to resize heading 3, and make it orange:
h3 {
font-size: 1.1em;
font-weight: bold;
color:#ff7322;
}

Hope that helps!
john@usenetadvantage.net
www.usenetadvantage.net