Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

ThemeFrame Video #2

Old Dec 2, 2009, 09:23 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Watch the current state of ThemeFrame in this video:

http://themeframe.com/video/

A usable first version should be available within very few days. When you hear "just a few things missing" in the video, that means "a few things to make it usable and to release a first Beta".

- Drag & Drop Layout Areas
- Fully WYSIWYG Live Preview
- Nearly no page reloads ever, Ajax everything
- Creates static CSS and JS files for best live performance
- Only 1 DB query per page view on the front end no matter how many options
- Import & Export configuration files, load a style you made earlier and re-use it, e.g. with a few changes
- Upload images directly or choose from WP uploads folder

- Not implemented yet, but will be in the very near future: Smooth fonts, Effects for the Drop Down Menus, Rotating images with smooth effects and different images on page type or individual page basis, Ajax for comments and wherever it makes sense

All donors with a total donation of $40+ will get full & free access to the Beta and the following Final Release. Once the Beta is out, this opportunity will be gone but you will be able to buy a Paid Subscription (not enabled yet) to the BFA Forum, where you can download and discuss ThemeFrame.

Last edited by lmilesw; Dec 8, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:26 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Incredible work Flynn!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:41 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Exciting, Flynn! Can't wait to get my hands on this.

I notice you're developing this using WP 2.8.5. I think the 2.8.6 upgrade was mostly about a security patch or two, but I just wanted to make sure there won't be issues for those of us who are using 2.8.6 now.

Last edited by paulae; Dec 3, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:03 AM
Liston

26 posts · Oct 2009
Scotland
Thanks for the update
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:42 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
This looks very nice!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:08 AM
JaneD

72 posts · Jan 2009
Wow! Amazing work. Again, I can't wait to give this a try!
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:17 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Is there any import function for atahualpa, or will we have to start from the beginning?

I'm a bit afraid knowing the countless hours I have invested to get a usable and nice Atahualpa....
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Flynn, I have two MU sites running now. How cool would it be if I could use ThemeFrame to custom-design themes for my users based on their needs? Will I be able to set things up just-so, and then save that design with a unique name so I can upload it to a user's folder? If you can make that happen, my man, you will have a real killer app.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 05:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Paulae, since you will be able to save the design as a css style sheet calling it what ever you want. I think this will do exactly what you want
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:49 AM
LabbyRoad

13 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
All donors with a total donation of $40+ will get full & free access to the Beta ...
While I qualify for the beta, I will likely purchase ThemeFrame at some point anyway. You do incredible work Flynn, and you deserve to be supported!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:10 PM
Vidal

11 posts · Oct 2009
London, UK
Flynn,

Very exciting update on progress since the last video.

1. Particularly pleased with all non-theme files going into wp-content rather than a few of them sometimes needing to be uploaded within the theme directory structure. As you said on the video this should make upgrading much simpler and safer now that the odd stray image won't get overlooked.

2. Drag & Drop functionality for the header layout - excellent work, the ultimate in WYSIWYG.

3. Export (and Import) for the current settings is a real plus. It's a quicker and simpler backup feature (than having to export the whole of a WP database) which is therefore much more likely to get used. It's also likely to be used more frequently as a result and should lead to less lost work.

It looks like Themeframe is going to be a great Christmas present!

Keep up the great work!!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:09 AM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Any more news Flynn?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 09:39 AM
wrecker69

13 posts · Nov 2009
London, Canada
Flynn. Loookkkiiing Gooood!! I can't wait to get my grubby little paws on this fantastic app. You and I seem to have at least one thing in common. Perfectionism. I can understand that you do not want to release something that is not just quite right. But hey, this release will be in Beta. Right? If you give us something to play around with we can send you feedback as to what works and what doesn't. Please don't take this the wrong way. I am not slamming you in any way. I am just really starting to salivate here. I know there are members that have been waiting longer than me, so I can imagine how they feel, anticipating the release. Pleeease just give us something.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I turned this into a standalone application (you'll get the whole code) plus theme, instead of a plugin plus theme. The application creates everything that is better pre-produced as static files, such as the CSS, JS and PHP files, and the theme controls remaining live settings, like which template to use for which page and SEO settings (which will miss in the Beta).

Settings are saved in files rather than MySQL which makes them very transparent and portable. There's also no requirement for creating databases. The installation is just 1) writing the username & password into a config file and 2) uploading the app.

The static, pre-produced files will be good for live performance. The whole system is also easy to follow, and the resulting themes are easy to hand out to clients. I noticed some posts where users of frameworks were complaining that they had to re-do the settings on the client's installation. This is not the case with Themeframe.

The reason to make it a standalone application was to be more independent from Wordpress. The plugin wasn't using much Wordpress code anyway, and what it used, it used just to "get past" Wordpress.

This delayed things a bit but I am very close. I am making the theme part now which will be rather limited in the Beta or else it would take too long and I understand that I am more than overdue...
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:45 PM
Danielwerner

94 posts · Jul 2009
No worries, you just focus on getting a working beta. Keep up the good work!
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:07 PM
bsizzle

9 posts · Jan 2009
Very exciting. It's like waiting for Christmas morning to arrive.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:32 PM
DavePorter

130 posts · Mar 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsizzle
Very exciting. It's like waiting for Christmas morning to arrive.
Yes, I'm really hoping we get a beta before the 25th..
Dave
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:33 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
Stand-alone is even beter! good luck...
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:26 PM
Crunch

2 posts · Nov 2009
NC
Quote:
Yes, I'm really hoping we get a beta before the 25th..
Right, then Christmas will be hell for the kids while we all lock ourselves in a room and play. Flynn, do us and our families a favor and release it after the New Year. Those of you waiting, if you don't have a family then use the time to do something for someone else. I have found 2 families at school who have broken computers and can't afford to fix them. Have one fixed and working on the other. Personally I know if this new toy lands on my door over the next few weeks I will be tempted to play with it. Part of me hopes its A New Year present.
Oh! Will be back tomorrow to check!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:36 AM
jack96161

66 posts · May 2009
Just made another donation - I'm anxiously looking forward to ThemeFrame - anything I can do to help test or document, please let me know.

keep up the good work Flynn and happy holidays!

Jack
[Yes, my avatar now has skis -- we just got 2-3 of snow and my favorite resort opened early!]
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:54 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
I turned this into a standalone application (you'll get the whole code) plus theme, instead of a plugin plus theme.

The reason to make it a standalone application was to be more independent from Wordpress.
Does this mean that the hundreds (thousands?) of Wordpress third party plugins will be usable, or not?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 02:46 AM
DavePorter

130 posts · Mar 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not sure what you mean ? Why would themeframe have to do with plugins?
It simply generates a WP theme based on your settings...
Imagine a product for WP that made plugins not work ! I think not!
Sorry if I've misunderstood.
cheers Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetravelchronicle
Does this mean that the hundreds (thousands?) of Wordpress third party plugins will be usable, or not?
Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:06 AM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
I retract my question. The term "standalone" is my point of confusion, but the meaning will sort itself out with use of the product, I assume.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 11:25 PM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
I'm SO glad WordPressZen replied to the "Showing Off Atahualpa" thread with a comment mentioning ThemeFrame ... I had no idea of it's development.

I searched the forums and found the videos and Wow!

I immediately made my donation so I could be in on the beta and get the final product.

Awesome. Thanks Flynn.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
SherylCPA

10 posts · Mar 2009
Flynn,

My business partner recently made a PayPal donation of $50, but doesn't participate in the forum and has no user ID. Can you connect that payment up to my ID so I can get the ThemeFrame beta?

If so, I can email you the info off-forum. Thanks.

I absolutely love atahualpa and am looking forward to trying out ThemeFrame.

Sheryl