Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Upgrading from 3.7.3 to 3.7.15

Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:51 PM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Upgrading from 3.7.3 to 3.7.15

Ok, I know, I should have done the intermittent upgrades, but I didn't. I plan to upgrade manually so that if something is amiss I can go back to 3.7.3 until I figure out what to do.

I see in another post that it might be better to do the upgrades in stages ( http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=21394 ) - that was 2.6 to 3.7.13, although some versions were skipped, including 3.7.3.

Do I also need to do this process going from 3.7.3 to 3.7.15 in steps, rather than going directly from 3.7.3 to 3.7.15?

Once I get it up-to-date I plan to put my header images, logo and favicon in the new image location as per Juggledad's instructions (in http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8520).

I am also curious about Juggledad's new note at the top:

=========================
As of 3.7.12 I recommend putting the header images. Logo and Favicon in an external file - using the new 'Image Locations' option - and then doing automatic upgrades (after doing a backup of course).

it seems to contradict what is said in step 1 of the instructions, and I'm wondering why the change.

Anyway, as always, thanks for any help you can give! And now that I have a bit more confidence about updates I'll keep up with them!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 06:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
A question first... I your current version of Atahualpa in a folder called atahualpa or is it in a folder called atahualpa373 or something of that sort?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 02:10 AM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Just the plain default "atahualpa", as it was an automatic install rather than a manual one. And in case you need to know, I just upgraded the site to Wordpress 3.9, and updated all the plugins.

Last edited by capelady; Apr 29, 2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
I am also curious about Juggledad's new note at the top:

As of 3.7.12 I recommend putting the header images. Logo and Favicon in an external file - using the new 'Image Locations' option - and then doing automatic upgrades (after doing a backup of course).

it seems to contradict what is said in step 1 of the instructions, and I'm wondering why the change.
The reason for the change is a change in WordPress rules. It use o be that you could not have any file/image used by a theme outside the theme folder. And that ment each time the theme was updated your images were wiped out unless you manually upgraded. Now they are allowing themes to access images that are not stored in the theme folder, so we added code to allow you to put your images outside the theme folder to survive automatic upgrades. Since the automatic upgrades are easier, that is what I now recommend…once you have moved your images to the external folder.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:19 AM
capelady

50 posts · Mar 2010
Thanks Juggledad, I suspected that was the reasoning, but wanted to make sure it wasn't something else that I wasn't understanding.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 03:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
once you upgrade go to the following theme options and hit the SAVE button
Style & edit HEADER AREA
Style & edit CENTER COLUMN
Style & edit FOOTER