Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Scared to move site from my computer to host

Old Mar 21, 2009, 12:09 AM
Andante

30 posts · Feb 2009
I have built a new web site using - I think - Atahualpa version 3.1.9. Up until now, I was able to resolve all my issues just by reading forum posts.

I've created the site in a local wordpress installation on my computer using wampserver. Tomorrow I was going to upload it to my lunarpages host, and have studied for a week on how to do that. Just when I was feeling pretty confident about that going well, some threads on the forum have me very concerned that I will run into problems. These fears were greatly compounded by threads here about problems when upgrading to 3.2.

One issue relates to the sticky post about if you downloaded Atahualpa 3.1.9 from Wordpress.org (as I did), that the folder was called /atahualpa, when it should have been called /atahualpa3. My theme folder is /atahualpa. Should this not be a problem as long as I forget upgrading for now?

I have promised the client that the site will be online by tomorrow. I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

I have made a lot of changes in the theme, as it is a site, not a blog; I have read that any changes made in the change screens will hold, but I know I've made other code changes in the "Editor" section. Reading this thread: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=117 has made me very fearful that just moving it to the host will mess up the site, even if I avoid the added potential problems of upgrading.

At this point, since getting it online before the client freaks out is the main problem I face, I will postpone for now any thoughts of upgrading. So perhaps Flynn or someone else could just advise me as to the basic procedure they would follow to move the blog to the host without screwing up the changes I've made to the theme.

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 09:30 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Theme file edits would be preserved, because when you edited them through the WP "Editor" they were "hard coded" (physically written into the file(s) opposed to saved in a database).

The theme settings (that you made through Atahualpa Theme Options) are now stored in your local database.

Transferring the Atahualpa Theme Options is not fully automated yet: You can do this with PHPMyAdmin (there have been threads here on how to do that, use the search) or with the export.php script in this thread http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=117 . This script does not import the settings to the new blog, it just exports them from the old blog into a xml file. You would have to manually set all the options at the new blog, by going through all the settings listed in the xml file that export.php created. Only options you actually changed will be listed there, so if you changed 30 of the 215 options export.php would list only those 30 options. So using export.php should be more convenient than comparing the Atahualpa Theme Option pages on both blogs one by one.

The atahualpa vs atahualpa3 directory can be an issue mainly with background images. You might have to go through the theme options on the new blog and change all occurences of "atahualpa" to "atahualpa3". The only places where the directory name may appear in the theme options is when images are being referenced in CSS. Post/Page Styling -> POST Container: STICKY is the only place where this happens in the default options as far as I can tell, but you may have added other images, i.e. background images somewhere in the theme options.

Last edited by Flynn; Mar 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Regular Wordpress Tools -> Export does not seem to export options, only content (Posts, Pages, Comments)
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:42 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please note that I edited the above post. I was claiming that exporting a blog through Site Admin -> Tools -> Export would save the Atahualpa options as well but it does not seem to export any options, only content (posts, pages, comments)
Old Mar 22, 2009, 02:24 PM
Andante

30 posts · Feb 2009
Hello Flynn,

Thanks for the correction on how to export my theme settings before uploading the site from my computer to the host. I am hoping to finally make the move today, but have a couple questions:

1) So I don't fall behind on upgrades, should I just be brave and upgrade to version 3.2 while it is still on my computer, BEFORE I attempt the move to the host? Then I can just install the fresh new 3.2 on my server, upload the content, and input all the changes I made from the export.php, right?

2) I understand the concept of the export.php file being like insurance that I'll be able to put all the changes I made to the theme in manually after either an upgrade, if I should lose some settings - and when I move to the host.

But I do not understand how to use the export.php code you posted. I cut and paste the code into my PSPad text editor, and saved it as 'export.php. You then said just to 'call it in your browser'. I did that, and I just get the 'open or save' dialog box - with either one of course I am simply staring at the code you provided.

I know next to nothing about php, and have no clue what I am to do with this script. Is it behaving different because I am calling it up on my local computer?

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:39 PM
Andante

30 posts · Feb 2009
Solved the php export part ... sorry for asking what to do with the export file, figured it out. Now will be brave and upgrade my local blog to 3.2; then up to the host in 3.2...
Thanks!