Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Widgets Page Not Functioning and I'm baffled...Need Help!

Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
topgunscooter

5 posts · Feb 2010
[SOLVED] Widgets Page Not Functioning and I'm baffled...Need Help!

The widgets page on one of my WP sites has stopped functioning. I can't edit, add, delete, or even drag elements on the page. When I click on the arrow on any installed widget, the page jumps slightly and momentarily, but that is the only response I get on the page. I've done everything I can think of. I disabled all plugins even though I hadn't added any recently. I removed the widgetizing code from header.php completely and the widgets are still there. I've updated to the most recent versions of WP and Atahualpa. I've run WP Security Scan as well as having the server scanned, and nothing malicious shows up. I've thoroughly read every line of code on any page that might relate, and can't find an obvious glitch. I'm baffled, any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by topgunscooter; Feb 27, 2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: solved
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of Atahualpa and WP?
what is the url?
Who is your host?
Has your host made any changes to the environment?
What version of PHP are you running?
Have you recently add any large amounts of data?
When did you do your last backup?
Have you ever optimized your database?
How many records are in it?

Things don't 'just stop working' something must have changed. The key is to figure out what. You say that it's happening to one of your WP sites. Are the others on the same server? and hosted by the same host? what happens if you switch to the default theme? The key is to find the difference, and it should explain why this is happening. And remember it could be a parameter that the server changed, not something you did...or it could be something you did that seems insignificant.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
topgunscooter

5 posts · Feb 2010
ATO is 3.4.6
WP is 2.9.2
Host is justhost
They have made no changes according to what they told me when I asked. I have numerous other instances of WP/ATO hosted there, and no problems with any of the others.
No large data additions.
I do backups on all of my sites daily, which has proven to be a mistake in this case, I don't have a backup that is old enough to be free of the problem. I had done a backup that included the problem before I knew it existed, and I haven't been archiving backups due to the size. That will change as of right now.
No, I have not optimized the database.
If I'm interpreting correctly, there are 148 records.

The WP/ATO instance that is malfunctioning is one of several that I have on a local news site. I have separate instances for different sections to allow for differing advertising from one section to another. The one in question is http://www.beaufort-news.com/blogwp . The main site is http:www.beaufort-news.com.

The only change I have made to the instance in question is an image rollover menu in a text widget on the left sidebar. It didn't function (primary image and links worked, but not the javascript rollovers). I rethought the idea and chose to switch to a single image map menu instead. I installed the rollover set up exactly the same way on both my main section and on the blog section, but only the blog has malfunctioned. I replaced the rolllover code with the imagemap on the main page without any problem and it all works fine. I then went to the blog section to make the change there, and that's when I found the problem with the widgets page not working.

I have a total of 12 instances of WP/ATO on this website, and 10 other sites running the same structure. All are hosted on the same server, and all are working fine except fo the one I mentioned.

I haven't tried to switch to the default theme, I will try that now and let you know if it worked.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
topgunscooter

5 posts · Feb 2010
I activated the default theme and still had the same problem, so it doesn't seem to be theme based. I have changed it back to ATO. Everything on the end user side is working, I just can't edit the widgets, and I do have a link error on the menu that I want to change out, so I do need to get this fixed. I have a feeling it relates to the rollover menu (perhaps a jsquery conflict), I'm just not sure where to go to find and eliminate the offending critter.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:33 PM
topgunscooter

5 posts · Feb 2010
I've finally been able to eliminate the content from the sidebars and it is now replaced with the default WP content. I did this by eliminating the widgetizing code in functions.php and then saving the page. I then rewrote the original widgetizing code to the page and saved that. Now I'm rid of what I initially needed to edit as well as everything else. The widgets page still does not work, now I have an open left sidebar (stuck open) that is empty. I still can't add, remove, or edit widgets, but I feel like I've made a little progress. Looks like another all nighter. I think Wordpress should be designated a "Beer Sport"!
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:22 AM
topgunscooter

5 posts · Feb 2010
Problem solved at 4 am. It ended up being 3 plugins that I have used for quite a while. I deactivated all of the plugins for the 3rd time and for the third time I reactivated them one at a time. This time it worked, but it didn't work the first 2 times. I was able to get updates on 2 of them that allowed them to be reactivated, but the third is still a bugger. For reference in case anyone else has the same problem, they are:

Auto Post Images (API) Reactivated OK with upgrade
Automatically adds images to posts without having to edit the post.
Deactivate | Edit
Version 2.1.2 | By Karthikeyan Karunanidhi | Visit plugin site

Gixaw Chat Still a bugger!
Embed Gixaw Chat on your blog.
Activate | Edit | Delete
Version 1.0 | Visit plugin site

Another Wordpress Classifieds Plugin Reactivated OK after upgrade
AWPCP - A wordpress classifieds plugin
Deactivate | Edit
Version 1.0.4.5 | By A. Lewis | Visit plugin site

I kept going back to another thread that juggledad responded to and pointed to the plugins, and it finally worked out. The good news is my coding skills have improved immensely over the last couple of days. I'm an artist and designer who can read code and understand it (and most times figure ou thefix). But I AM NOT a coder, and the vast knowledge on this forum is a Godsend for me. At this point, I've pretty much memorized every line of code on all of the pages on this site, so I should be able to quickly recognize any future problems.