Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

New Widget area not showing up

Old Oct 5, 2010, 03:54 PM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to sleenie
WordPress 3.01 and ATA 3.5.3

I've avoided this like the plague because i seem to have a mental block on adding new widgets. I've been reading thru this thread
and it all made sense. I add the new widgets area above the loop in the center column and added the following as the first line:

<?php bfa_widget_area('name=Group Menus'); ?>

No matter how many time I refresh it just isn't showing up. Even cleared my cache. I've added before just to see it I could get it added and then it worked. Of course when I need it , it doesn't.

Even tried another in the footer just in case. Nothing.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 04:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
After you create the area what widget are you putting in it. Nothing will show up until you put a widget in the widget area.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 06:37 PM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
I can't put anything in the widget area because it isn't showing up in the widgets at all. Can't even try to put something there.

I'm looking in Appearance>Widgets
Old Oct 5, 2010, 07:46 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Make sure if you put it in a new area that you change the name. Also you must go view the page that it will show on before it will show in the widgets
Old Oct 5, 2010, 08:40 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You said it worked in the past. Was that on the same host?
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:04 PM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Yes it was the exact same host. This is what I've done.

I've put in <?php bfa_widget_area('name=Group Menus'); ?> above the loop in the Content Above the Loop.

Then I have refresh several times. The code is still there but I show no widget on the....OMG!

I have been out there several times refreshing during the last several hours. I re-booted, cleared my cache etc. I checked within the past hour even. It just now showed up! Why would it take so long? is it something I've done or didn't do) or maybe my hosting? it literally took several hours to show.

That being said I now get to take the next step which is where I have had the mental block in the past. So here goes. Hopefully you won't hear from me again but you never know!

Thanks. (Not sure why I can work on something for hours but then right after I post I figure it out or it resolves itself. I'm starting to get a complex)

Again, thanks
Old Oct 5, 2010, 09:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
When you refreshed was it while on the home page or in the WP dashboard? I you indeed went to the front page to refresh the site "several times" there must be some caching issue going on. Let us know how it works out for you.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:54 AM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Hi Larry,

I think I refreshed on every page possible but at least it is there now.

I've managed to get the widget right where I want it, got all my images right where I need them (well, almost). I need to have it centered and I've tried a couple of things but I know I'm lost. Here's one of the pages it's on. I put all of the images in one text widget.

I know this is basic CSS but for the life of me I can't get it to work. I'm so happy to be taking a class next month on CSS. I spend so much time on W3 Schools.

Hopefully I will get this so that I can then configure my footer widget.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
When you refreshed was it while on the home page or in the WP dashboard? I you indeed went to the front page to refresh the site "several times" there must be some caching issue going on. Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited by sleenie; Oct 6, 2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 07:10 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
To center it wrap it in a div an give the div an unique id. If you are going to center several widget areas that are the same dimensions then use a class instead. Next in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts give that class or id a width and auto left and right margins.
Here is an example.
HTML Code:
#widget_area {
width: 300px;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
}
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:16 AM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Ok.....I'm sure this is wrong because it doesn't work. I can change it in Firebug and all I do is change the container to

<div id="Group_menu" class="Group_Menu">
width: 300px;
margin-right: auto;
margin-left: auto;
text-align:center;
</div>
Old Oct 6, 2010, 09:30 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
After looking again I realized the easier way is to put the following in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
div#text-10 {text-align:center;}
If you were using a multi-celled widget area you would need to use a different approach but this should work for you.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:51 AM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
That didn't work. Is that all I need? I tried a couple of variations of things to add but no change.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:54 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Where are you putting the code? And just to make sure could you paste the code that you are using in a reply. The code I gave you should work.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 01:08 PM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Sure, I put it in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts at the bottom of the page and I have pasted

div#text-10 {text-align:center;}

Right now that is all that is there. It doesn't seem like enough, but then what do I know. :-) It's still to the left.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 02:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I looked at your source. At the very bottom of CSS Inserts right before the code you pasted in you have
HTML Code:
/* ================================================== */
/* How to bold menu items */
/* ================================================== *
font-weight: bold;
}
There is a slash missing at the end of the third line and font-weight: bold is incomplete.
Replace the code above with
HTML Code:
Old Oct 6, 2010, 03:21 PM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Thanks..I fixed that.

But it wasn't suppose to fix the centering of the widget though was it? If so, I more confused that I thought.

There was a post from Paulae that talked abut how she handled the ad she has at the top of her page. I can' find it...do you have it bookmarked? I though I did. Thought it might helo me to review what she did.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 06:30 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
With that code that I mentioned gone and div#text-10 {text-align:center;} still there your images should center.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 08:23 AM
sleenie

291 posts · May 2009
Texas and New Mexico
Larry,

Ok..my bad...I thought you meant to replace just the one line so it had the missing slash. Based on your last email, I removed the entire portion and then tried it and it worked. I added back in just the below then and it still worked.

Code:
This may seem like a dumb question, but how did that one have anything to do with the widget? I'm not sure when I even added that or why. (I'll be so glad to take the CSS class next month)

Thanks Larry. Hope fully this will be the last of my questions. (Don't bet on it though)
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:06 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I'm not sure about why the widget didn't show. That's the way computers are sometimes.