Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

where can I find the bfa_subscribe.php table to customize my widget?

Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:57 PM
coolmummy

16 posts · Nov 2009
Hi

All I am trying to do is have an email subscription button on my blog page.

I have spent hours trying to change the BFA subscribe widget look to do just that. I just want the email subscribtion button alone but NOT the comments or the rss icons because I already used the text widget to display my feed icons.

In one of the posts Flynn says that you can change the bfa widget look to eliminate the post and comment icons by doing this:
"It's a table, line 37-63 in bfa_subscribe.php that you would have to edit. Simply cut and paste the lines of the table <TR> ... </TR> to re-arrange the order"

But for the life of me I do not know what the "tables" are nor where I can actually find them. I tried the ATO, the plugins editor, the theme editor...btu I don't really know what I am looking for.

help please!!!
my blog is http://www.coolmummy.co.uk/theblog/

thanks so much
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:15 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
So you want just the Email subscription button?

Have you tried going to ATO > RSS Settings > And then choosing the appropriate drop down menus to turn off the Post Feed and Comment Feed Icons? This should be the easiest way to implement your vision if I am understanding you correctly.

Otherwise, you could always use a text box or new widget area to display an image of your choosing that links to the email feed, thus creating your own button anywhere you want.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 02:26 AM
coolmummy

16 posts · Nov 2009
Oh great!
It worked thanks so much for your help

I am still wondering about the "tables" Flynn" refers to in his post, any suggestions on where I can find them and what they actually are (so sorry, I am such a novice at all this and trying really hard to learn this stuff).
Old Nov 23, 2009, 01:39 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
If you unzip the original Atahualpa zip file, or login to the server where your theme is uploaded, you can easily find bfa_subscribe.php.

You need to first open the Atahualpa342 folder (or whatever digits your version is), then the "functions" folder, and in that folder will be a php file named "bfa_subscribe".

You can then edit the lines in this file with a text editor such as Notepad++. Be SURE you save a copy of the file FIRST before you edit it in case things go wrong.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 06:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
one more step that Wimbledon left out,
if you edit a module on your computer, you have to FTP it up to the host in order for the changes to show up.

An obvious step, but there have been times I've overlooked the obvious
Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:41 AM
mamboe29

11 posts · Apr 2009
Netherlands
Thanks for the suggestions here! I used the one about editing the php file (a first for me as I had never tried that one before, editing a php file) and in one go! It worked!! I was sooo surprised expecting it not to work. So thanks a lot! Again, very useful forum!
ciao Madeleine