Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

SEO in home page Not working

Old Oct 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
vipsky

5 posts · Oct 2010
I enable the SEO, it's all ok in pages,

i set keywords and description for home pages,but not working in Home Page,not show it

can not see the

<meta name="keywords"
<meta name="description"

somebody can help me? ????????????

thanks

Last edited by vipsky; Oct 20, 2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 11:14 AM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Since Vipsky didn't get much in the way of a reply, maybe I can add some insight into why a forum search might not help him very much much - his question is the closest I could find to my own.

So, I recently began looking at ways that search engines will eventually find my sites. Starting from the assumption that BFA and WordPress were handling things like the title, meta description, meta keywords, etc. I started reading what Google has to say about SEO in their "Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide". This led me to think I would find nice tidy entries in my source code like:

<title>
<meta name="description" content=
<meta name="keywords" content=

On the four sites I'm working with, two have Atahualpa 3.3.3, one has 3.4.2, and one is using 3.5.3. It appears that 3.5.3 may have cleaned up some of the problems I've found in the other three, none of which have anything resembling my meta descriptions or keywords in the source code.

(Yes, I did select "Use Bytes For All SEO options?")

In the site (http://www.kenyatravelchronicle.com) with 3.5.3, the tidy entries do appear as expected in the source code when I access it through a browser. However, the title is not the blog title (as entered in the WordPress "General Settings" page), but is taken from the tag for the home page. Also, I edited the meta description and keywords at some point, and BOTH versions show up, the new one did not replace the old. My instinct tells me that is not a good thing.

My first thought was to edit these items directly, at which point I discovered that the header.php file under Atahualpa 3.5.3, which has all the other info I'm seeing in the source code, does not contain:

<title>
<meta name="description" content=
<meta name="keywords" content=

These entries must be getting pulled from somewhere else, but where is that, and can I edit it directly? If so, should I turn off "Use Bytes For All SEO options?"

Any general explanation of the structure of all this would be greatly appreciated. Any specific strategies for how to handle these issues going forward would be even better.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
thetravelchronicle - I just tried to recreate the duplicate keywords and I always end up with one.
Try disabling all your plugins to see if one might be adding the extra META's in. other than that, I'd have to dig in and play with your site a little
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
>I just tried to recreate the duplicate keywords and I always end up with one.

I'm a bit stumped, but I assume you mean on another site where you tested whether you can edit and change the metas without getting a duplicate set.

If a plug-in is altering the way the "Save Changes" works on the "Configure SEO" page, I don't imagine turning it off would cause the duplicate set to go away. Are you suggesting that I turn off all the plug-ins, and test whether a new edited set will overwrite one of the ones there now?

Assuming that works, but I still have a second set of metas, is there a file somewhere I can edit myself? Can I just not bother going though the BFA interface in general?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:56 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
All the Atahualpa options are stored in the database. Do an export of your settings and attach it to a reply. I'l import it and see if I get the doubble metas.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:08 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
UPDATE: I just realized that at some point I started using the "Atahualpa Page Options" to input meta info, and didn't think not to do it for the homepage. When I later placed a similar description in Configure SEO, that's where the duplicate came from. Should I choose "No" on "Use Bytes For All SEO options?", and treat the BFA fields on the individual pages as though I were using a third party SEO Plug-in, or set it for "Yes" and just not fill in one or the other options for the home page?

I'm still curious as to whether there a file somewhere I can edit myself? Can I just not bother going though the BFA interface in general?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
well you could edit header.php but the same thing will show for all pages and you will have to make the change each time you upgrade.

Quote:
Should I choose "No" on "Use Bytes For All SEO options?", and treat the BFA fields on the individual pages as though I were using a third party SEO Plug-in, or set it for "Yes" and just not fill in one or the other options for the home page?
good question and not being an SEO expert (are there really any seo 'experts'?) I personally don't have an answer for you, especially since the rules for SEO seem to change ever month or so.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:29 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
This is all very new to me, though I am quickly realizing why I need to concentrate more energy to it.

When you say that the Atahualpa options are stored in the database, I'm taking that to mean something (or somewhere) other than the files I'm accessing under the theme 3.5.3 folder. If that is the case, that helps me to understand why I'm not seeing the meta entries in those files (i.e. header.php). This also implies that there is some sort of a call to the database to retrieve those values, which is why they do finally show up in the source code that I'm seeing in my browser.

So, do you mean that if I were to edit the header.php file (insert the meta info), say no to the BFA SEO option, and refrain from installing any third party SEO, whatever I put into the header.php file would work, but would apply to all the pages, not just the home page?

Meanwhile, my question whether to use BFA as though it is a third party SEO plugin was more structural than a "what works best for SEO" question. I want to be sure I don't create a conflict somewhere. My best guess is that I should say yes to using BFA in "Configure SEO", use the fields on that screen for the home page, and use the "Atahualpa page options" everywhere except the home page.

If you see any problem with this logic, let me know, otherwise I'm going to mush on.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
thetravelchronicle - the meta info is built in bfa_meta_tags.php
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:29 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Curiouser and curiouser.

As I mentioned above, I chose "yes" to use BFA for SEO, and filled in the description and keywords fields on the "Configure SEO" page. I then cleared the bfa fields on the home page to avoid getting duplicate entries.

I then looked around the database using phpMyAdmin, and can find entire articles, titles, user profiles, the whole nine yards - no problem. Everything but the meta description and keywords.

If not for the fact the meta info shows up in the browser when you look at the source, I'd swear the fields on the "Configure SEO" aren't doing anything. Where that info is stored is still a mystery.

Going to the file manager, the bfa_meta_tags.php file has the instructions, but not the actual meta info.

The database has special bfa fields, and when I put the meta data back into the home page, it shows up just fine.

So..... Contrary to my original plan, I'm choosing BFA (or Bytes) for SEO, leaving the fields on the Configure SEO page blank, and using the "Atahualpa Page Options" for meta info on the home page. It may not be the right thing to do for search engines (and how would we ever know?) but at least I'll know it's in the database.

STB - I'm still trying to figure out how I'm ever going to get my first post - the need for an automated SEO option seems very far away. In the meantime, if I do it all myself I'll have some idea what to think of the results the software gives me if I ever get to the point of needing it.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 05:46 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
All of the theme options are stored in the wp-option table. It use to be that they were in separate rows, but to cut down on the number of database calls, the developer (Flynn) merged them all into one row, the 'bfa_ata4' row. So that is where they are stored.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Yep, when I type meta info into Configure SEO it shows up in bfa_ata4.

My guess is that at least some search engines will find meta data in something called bfa_ata_meta_description more efficiently than they might in bfa_ata4, so my last take on this still stands - I'll be entering meta info into the Atahualpa Page Options on the homepage and leave the Configure SEO blank.

There might be some value in entering completely different keywords in the Configure SEO, (double the number further forward?) but that's getting really esoteric.

Anyway, for the first time I now also understand why if I download my whole site, I still haven't backed up the content until I back up the database. I was just carefully saving everything manually so the site could be rebuilt from scratch while I continued to wonder where the heck my content was.

Thanks for following this through, I can now go back to reading Google's "Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide" with a fairly decent map in my head.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
No search engine will find the bfa_ata4 because that is in the database. Search engines just search the HTML of pages served.

I glad you realize that the database is important to backup...very important
Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:05 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
Duh - I get the difference. And if Vipsky is still around, I'd bet we answered his question as well.

After further thought on the value of filling in both the Configure SEO and Atahualpa Page Options, the SEO meta info shows up in the source code before the page options do. Based on that meager inference of a hierarchy, I decided to put more general terms applicable to the whole site in Configure SEO, and those that are only applicable to the home page in the page options.

It may not do any special good, but I can't think where it will do any harm. If anyone is curious, they can see the results at the link above.