Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Displaying posts in two columns in centre area

Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:41 AM
giveabrick

3 posts · Jan 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to giveabrick
Displaying posts in two columns in centre area

Hi,
My site currently has all the post excerpts listed in a vertical column on the front page: http://www.GiveABrick.com

However, I'd love to have the excerpts organised in two columns within the centre area. I've seen it done here with the thesis theme:
http://www.theinfopreneur.net

But I love the atahualpa theme, am delighted with the layout otherwise and really don't want to pay for another theme.

I understand from another thread on here that it's not possible without fiddling with the code. Whilst I can't write code, if someone clever knows how to do this, I am able to change what needs to be changed.

Finally, since I only want to display excerpts rather than full posts of varying sizes, I'm hoping the issue discussed here is obsolete: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=posts+columns

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated and all for a good cause too

Thanks for your time,
Eleanor
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:25 PM
giveabrick

3 posts · Jan 2010
Ok, so I found comprehensive instructions here: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1288

But when I did this, despite checking and double checking that I had the 'excerpts only' setting right, when I upload the new home.php file, I get the table with posts in two columns but it won't show excerpts.

I tried disabling plugins but it made no difference. All I can do for now is delete home.php and go back to index.php instead.

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I was curious about how this could be done and noticed that the index.php has a secion with the following code.
HTML Code:
<?php /* Add Odd or Even post class so post containers can get alternating CSS style (optional) */

$odd_or_even = (($bfa_ata['postcount'] % 2) ? 'odd-post' : 'even-post' ); ?>
It would seem like that could perhaps be used to create a two column layout. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old Jan 6, 2010, 02:51 AM
giveabrick

3 posts · Jan 2010
Hi,
I'm still playing around with the original instructions I found from the other post. When added as instructed, it does put the posts in two columns.

However, it totally overides the code instructing it to display excerpts. I've tried working round it by creating hand made excerpts for the first four posts and then telling it to only display a max of 4 posts on a page. (I'll do this for the other posts too eventually but was trying to save a little time and get this fixed!)

I also tried disabling an excerpt plugin I had installed but to no avail. Is there some way in the code to tell it to always, always display excerpts? (other than the settings discussed within the theme options)

I have everything set to 'excerpts only' but the code given on the other post (altering index.php) somehow overrides this instruction totally!

Any other ideas?

Thanks