Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Disabling the right clickability on images

Old Jan 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
ksmith101

79 posts · Dec 2009
North Carolina, although Georgia (USA) is HOME
Does anyone know how to set it so viewers can not right click on an image and copy it? The last theme I used, specifically designed for photographers, had this built into it. I liked that, but prefer this Ata theme for many other reasons.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 04:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
This is done by adding a java script to the page. If you google 'wordpress disable right click on image' you will find lots of references

However, you may want to read http://www.webpagemistakes.ca/disable-right-click/ so see an argument on why not to do it.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:36 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I haven't tested it but NexGen Gallery let's you add a watermark to images on a per gallery basis. You can use plain text or an image for the watermark.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:47 AM
ksmith101

79 posts · Dec 2009
juggledad...thanks for the link it was very interesting. I know disabling the right click does not prevent others who are determined to steal images. But it does deter most.

After reading that link I think I have more work to do!! Do you think turning off 'view / source' is ok?

Also, I have NextGen gallery but have not gotten far enough to use it yet.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 09:53 AM
ksmith101

79 posts · Dec 2009
Nevermind the 'view / source' question above...seems what I am reading is it only deters also.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Just in case you still want to investigate prohibiting right clicking I saw this in the new plugins area. Blog Protector
Old Jun 8, 2011, 06:24 AM
durapills

1 posts · Jun 2011
Hi all,

I found this thread in searching for a possible solution to this problem and here are offered some ways to solve this.

I like placing the photo as background the most, as explained here. The reason is that I don't like watermarking and the javascript option will only filter out the users, who don't know how to turn off their javascript. But placing the image as background is so nice, because even the Opera users (tools -> advanced -> blocked content) can't block the image from showing (that's good if you have commercial banners, which you want to always show).

So thats the option I favor, and only small percent of the user know how to get the image from the browser cache. If you find any other ways, please share.