Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[How To] modify 'Category Page' aka page2cat to display posts instead of just titles

Old Aug 14, 2009, 05:33 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
While this plugin 'Category Page' aka page2cat (version 2.5 - get it at http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/) seems to be gathering dust (last update 3/29/2008) it still works, but the way it works is it lists just the titles (as links) of a category on a page. Most people seem to want to be able to list the entire post. You can do that by making a slight change to the plugin.

Edit the plugin lines 618-620 and change them from:
HTML Code:
   foreach($catposts as $single):
         $output .= "<li><a href='".get_permalink($single->ID)."'>".$single->post_title."</a></li>";
    endforeach;
to
HTML Code:
        query_posts('cat='.$v0.'&showposts='.get_option('posts_per_page'));
   endforeach;
That all it takes.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 30, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:01 AM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
Works good for me, but it seems its duplicating the last posts tags in the section title:

For example:

http://truechiptilldeath.com/news/hardware/

Ideas?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm not sure what you are talking about, can you be more specific?
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
If you look at the my last link.. it seems to be showing the category header as a new post, and it has tags that duplicates the most recent tags in that category.. and for some reason also shows socialable links.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What you are seeing is the PAGE info. This is a trade off, You could shut off the title display for the page and the footer items, but then the posts wouldn't show them.

You could dig into the code and figure a way to skip the page info altogether when running this plugin.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
Ok you gave me a clue, I was able to disable the page title and sociable from the meta info, but its still showing those phantom tags from the last post in the cat at the top.. ideas?

http://truechiptilldeath.com/news/featured/
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:32 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are talking about the 'Category: Chipmusic | Comments are closed' that is the PAGE info. It is the PAGE Footer. It looks like the page info is displayed, then the PAGE2CAT code is invoked to display the posts.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:27 AM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
Ah got it.. so the bug/choice is in page2cat trying to display a footer for the category. No way to exclude JUST this footer? I can disable all footers on multipost pages as a workaround, but thats undesirable.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:43 AM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
Another thing I noticed, if you click on OLDER POSTS, it displays the same posts again on page 2..
Old Aug 22, 2009, 01:47 AM
ernie334

4 posts · Jul 2009
Is it possible to display post with certain tags onto a Page instead of categories?

Also, when displaying post from categories onto a Page, can we post excerpt instead of full post?

Thank you

Last edited by ernie334; Aug 22, 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 02:26 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
When I read the fix for the page2cat plugin I thought COOL, that's what I have wanted! And then I thought what you said, can't I just have excerpts? I figured I'd just give the code change a try (I'm no programmer but I thought HEY I can cut and paste with the best of them) and then if it worked out pretty good I'd ask about the excerpts. Much to my delight the output was alreaddy excerpts on the page. I don't know if I have some setting that is different? And for me removing the footer for multi-post pages worked out perfectly.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 03:24 PM
chrisp

18 posts · Aug 2009
I was following the instructions here to get a full post and everything worked fine except I am only getting an excerpt.

Quote:
query_posts('cat='.$v0.'&showposts='.get_option('p osts_per_page'));
endforeach;
Is there something else that I needed to do to get the full post displayed on a page?

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
herrprof

6 posts · Aug 2009
Posts vs excerpts is an option in atahualpa page views.

Any update on the page repeating bug? Or am I missing a configureation setting?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 06:42 PM
agrossman

16 posts · Jun 2009
This thread was very helpful, and I am now able to display the entire post.

However, I do not want the post to be displayed on the homepage. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

p.s. To be more specific, when my posts are attributed to my category page, let's call it id=39, I do not want them to appear on the homepage. However, new posts not associated with id=39 I would still like to appear on the homepage.

Last edited by agrossman; Aug 27, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
agrossman

16 posts · Jun 2009
I found my answer here:

How to post on 2 seperate "Pages" or "Cats":

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...=homepage+post

Thanks for such a great forum!!
Old Nov 16, 2009, 01:47 AM
jiggajones

1 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
While this plugin (version 2.5) seems to be gathering dust (last update 3/29/2008) it still works, but the way it works is it lists just the titles (as links) of a category on a page. Most people seem to want to be able to list the entire post. You can do that by making a slight change to the plugin.

Edit the plugin lines 618-620 and change them from:
HTML Code:
         $output .= "<li><a href='".get_permalink($single->ID)."'>".$single->post_title."</a></li>";
    endforeach;
to
HTML Code:
        query_posts('cat='.$v0.'&showposts='.get_option('posts_per_page'));
   endforeach;
That all it takes.

Just tried this but it still gives me a list instead of the full post, you can see it here, http://abouncybear.com/?page_id=540

is there anyway to get this to show the full post? or have I missed something?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 10:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
please attach the full plugin so I can take a look at what you did.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
axesim

7 posts · Nov 2009
I searched page2cat plugin in wordpress; however it does not seem to exist. I am trying to list all the posts with their images in category view, but it displays only the text. Would you help me to include images to the posts in category view? (http://www.lindentea.com/)

Thank you,
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:58 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
see post#1 I edited it with the link - it called 'Category Page' - I replied to your post in the other thread about that.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:59 PM
axesim

7 posts · Nov 2009
Please ignore my question here as you answered me in another page (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...light=category). Sorry for posting the same question twice as I was searching other related posts to find a solution and thought that someone else would answer me as well. I was actually not expecting such a prompt response !! I really appreciate it. I will follow your instructions and try to fix. I hope it works.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:52 AM
SupraTT

78 posts · May 2009
Anyone figure out how to remove the footer right under the headline title without emptying the "FOOTER: Multi Post Pages" option? I want to have a footer for all the post excerpts, just dont want the extra footer showing up under the headline.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
A post is made up of the
Kicker
Headline
byline
body
footer

so are you talking about the 'footer' or 'byline'?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:28 PM
SupraTT

78 posts · May 2009
Hi Juggledad,

I mean the footer. On a multipost page, I want the footer to show for the exceprts, but when I use the Category Pages plugin to make a page with posts of a specific category, the page's title has a footer. I dont want the page's footer showing up, but the footer of the post excerpts to show up.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 02:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Did you apply the changes from the start of this post?
Are you using the [catlist=nn] to generate the category list on the page?

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 7, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 04:24 PM
SupraTT

78 posts · May 2009
Hi Juggledad,

Yes, I made all the changes from this post and I am using [catlist=XX] to generate the category posts. I am having the same issue as Post #8 on this thread.

Thank you,

SupraTT