Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Categories across the top!!!!!

Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:05 AM
Phil Gleeson

5 posts · Feb 2010
Leeds, England
Hi I am totally new to wp and have just moved from joomla, sorry for swearing.

I have this excellent theme but I cannot work out how to get categries across the top of the header, only pages show up as tabs.

I know I am doing something stupidly wrong but please help.

thank you
Phil Gleeson
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:17 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Relax. It's easy.

Dashboard/Appearance/Atahualpa Theme Options/Stye and Edit Header Area/Configure Header Area:

If you want the categories across the top, above the header image, and the pages under the image, put this in the white field:

Code:
%cats %image %pages
You can throw in a decorate bar or two as well, and style everything down below. This theme is so very, very flexible. See http://larchmontgazette.com to view how I have my header area set up.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:21 AM
Phil Gleeson

5 posts · Feb 2010
Leeds, England
Thanks for that, ive done as you have said and now just need to work out how you get the cats with a drop down but not like i have done on my site with pages. In joomla it had sections and then cats, section name wa one on menu the cat was the drop down part. I removed what you suggested whilst i solve my first problem

http://www.juniorbowlingforums.co.uk...ng/?page_id=51

if you see i have put articles in but as they are pages they just drop down as a list and the more items i post the longer it will get.

i have a friend who can change the pic so not bothered about that.

really sorry do you know of any idiot proof info on web where i can learn all this rather than keep posting on here otherwise i am going to end up having good people like you build it and thats not fair.

thanks
phil Gleeson

Last edited by Phil Gleeson; Feb 23, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 08:26 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
You can create "child" categories which will be drop-downs. On my site, click on More Features to see child categories.

You can go to wordpress.org and read the documentation. They have a beginner's guide. Also, just google "wordpress for beginners" and you'll get some good stuff.

You can use the header configuration area to make your header area taller to accommodate that image.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:08 AM
Phil Gleeson

5 posts · Feb 2010
Leeds, England
now its all gone mad and when you click on the top tab it takes 2 or 3 clicks to get where you want!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Not sure what you mean.

Are you using a tab plugin? I don't see why you need that.

If you want your posts to show up in full, not as excerpts, you can set that in the theme options.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 03:55 PM
Phil Gleeson

5 posts · Feb 2010
Leeds, England
what i am trying to do is like your more features drop down where you have a title and when you hover or click on it it drops to show different headings, when you click on them they then lead to a seperate list of stories, i think your site is excellent and well laid out, no rubbish saying linked to or whatever just read more once you have reached the article.

i wish i could afford to pay you to do my site in a similar way.

yours in sport
phil gleeson
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:23 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress and the theme will do all of this without any fancy coding. You can do it yourself! Just look at my site again. If you go to More Features/Travel and click on Travel, you'll see a list of travel articles. This is called a category page or category archive. This just happens automatically; it's a Wordpress thing.

To get the category menu bar to look the way you want, you'll just go to Appearance/Atahualpa Theme Options/Header Area/Category Menu Bar. That's where you can set the colors and font sizes.

So as not to muddy the waters, I suggest you deactivate that tabs plugin, at least for now.

Spend time learning about this theme, and go to wordpress.org and read the beginner information about how Wordpress works.

I'm flattered that you'd like to hire me, but truly, you can do this yourself.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 05:47 PM
Phil Gleeson

5 posts · Feb 2010
Leeds, England
will do. the tabs is only supposed to let me use tabs and sliders in articles like i used in joomla.

unforunately due to my illness i have short term memory and find it difficult also to learn from script but learn better being physically shown. thats life though.

thank you for your help it is much appreciated.

yours in sport
phil gleeson
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Hey, my memory's shot too, but just from being old!

There are lots of YouTube how-to videos about Wordpress that might help you with visual learning.

Personally, having used both, I find Wordpress much easier to use than Joomla, and Atahualpa is just plain brilliant.