Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Full posts showing on category pages rather than excerpts

Old May 6, 2015, 10:21 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Full posts showing on category pages rather than excerpts

Hi

I've just noticed that my category pages are now showing full posts rather than excerpts, even though I have 'Only Excerpts' selected under ATO -> Configure Excerpts -> Category pages, and excerpt length is set to 55 words.

The category pages used to show excerpts only, and I can't think of anything relevant that I've changed.

Can any suggest what the problem might be, please? It's baffling me!

Best, K
Old May 7, 2015, 05:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
see So..you have a problem and need some help...
Old May 7, 2015, 08:31 AM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks. Point taken! I've done some investigation and isolated the problem. It's a consequence of installing and activating the bbPress forum plugin. Somehow this overrides the 'extracts only' command on category pages. I've no idea how to solve the problem, however. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Old May 23, 2015, 01:00 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
An update on this issue. A member of the bbPress forum, Robkk, has diagnosed the problem, and with their permission I am posting their response here, in case it is of help to anyone.

>>>Robkk writes>>>>>

What i found is that this bug is because of your theme and not really bbPress. So i recommend contacting your theme developers about this especially since they want to support bbPress.

in the bfa_post_parts.php file in your functions folder, under the bfa_post_bodycopy function you will see

OR function_exists('is_bbpress')

This is what is causing your issue.

the way i figured out to fix it is to remove this and create my own bbpress.php off of the index.php file from your theme.

this is all the code i used to create the file. So you can copy and paste this into your theme into a bbpress.php file and all should work …hopefully.

I also left the widget areas there if you want them still there user theme/replace them or just remove them.

<?php
list($bfa_ata, $cols, $left_col, $left_col2, $right_col, $right_col2, $bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'], $bfa_ata['h_posttitle']) = bfa_get_options();
get_header();
extract($bfa_ata);
global $bfa_ata_postcount;
?>

<?php /* If there are any posts: */
if (have_posts()) : /* Postcount needed for option "XX first posts full posts, rest excerpts" */ ?>

<?php if ($bfa_ata['widget_center_top'] <> '') {
echo bfa_parse_widget_areas($bfa_ata['widget_center_top']);
} ?>

<?php while (have_posts()) : the_post();?>

<?php /* Post Container starts here */
if ( function_exists('post_class') ) { ?>
<div <?php if ( is_page() ) { post_class('post'); } else { post_class(); } ?> id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } else { ?>
<div class="<?php echo ( is_page() ? 'page ' : '' ) . 'post" id="post-'; the_ID(); ?>">
<?php } ?>
<?php bfa_post_headline('<div class="post-headline">','</div>'); ?>
<div class="post-bodycopy clearfix"><?php the_content(); ?></div>
</div><!-- / Post -->

<?php endwhile; ?>

<?php if ($bfa_ata['widget_center_bottom'] <> '') {
echo bfa_parse_widget_areas($bfa_ata['widget_center_bottom']);
} ?>

<?php endif; /* END of: If there are no posts */ ?>

<?php get_footer(); ?>
Old May 23, 2015, 02:34 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Just for clarification, that code was inserted to fix a bug in bbpress that they will not acknowledge. (

See http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=22946 for the original patch
See https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2723 for the bbpress bug report that they refuse to fix even though it was also a bug in Budy Press and they fixed it.

So use your code at your own risk and be warned that it may cause other issues.
Old May 23, 2015, 03:23 PM
kitfreeman

57 posts · Jan 2011
Thanks. I confess I'm out of my depth here. I want to get the excerpts function working again, since I use category pages as root pages in my menus but I need bbPress too for my student forum. But it seems there's no simple fix and, from what you say, it's due to a bug in bbPress.