Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Embedded CSS

Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:12 PM
mdelaflor

22 posts · Jul 2010
Texas
Hello,

One of the moderators asked me to look at the HTML produced by Atahualpa to locate a place I would need to change to edit the layout. No problem, however as I was looking I was surprised to find a 2880 lines of CSS code embedded in the HTML header of every page. I was baffled as to why any layout needs 2880 lines of CSS code? Did I do something wrong in editing Atahualpa and caused this to happen?

Mike
Old Mar 28, 2011, 06:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
There are that many lies of CSS because there that many places the theme can be styled. There are over 400 lines to make the menus work.

Why the Twenty-ten theme, which isn't nearly as customizable, style.css file is 1324 lines long.

The more a theme is customized, the more css there is.

You can set the CSS to be in an external file, but it still has all that code, the difference is that when using external CSS, the file is only loaded to your computer once for the duration of that session. If someone only visits the front page, then it actually takes a little longer if the CSS is external because an extra request has to be sent to the server and the file delivered. You will gain that time back the more pages they visit, but unless you are serving thousands of pages an hour, i don't think anyone will ever notice.

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 28, 2011 at 06:54 PM.