Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:34 AM
Ber|Art

198 posts · Oct 2009
Europe (NL) ber-art.nl Windows 7x64 WP 3.x Atahualpa 3.7.x
Send a message via Skype™ to Ber|Art
I fogot this one; http://www.instructio.nl/zzp/ just ready
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:54 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4duser
...<snip>...I don't understand what you mean by adding back in Atahualpa etc. because it is mentioned. Maybe I should give Atahualpa greater prominence?

...<snip>...The 'Featured on inside pages section' uses the 'Get Custom Field Values' plugin to randomly display categorized text similar to excerpts on selected articles, styled with CSS, in six widget areas placed in the center column. ...<snip>...
c4duser: again WOW! I keep getting lost in your site. I link over to check out some WP usage and 15 minutes later I realize I was swallowed up in your content (..just about to turn 60 I'm desperately and selfishly interested in things financial).

Re my mention of ATA -- sorry, I guess I was so fascinated by your listing of all your plugins that I just missed your crediting of ATA/BytesForAll.
"Maybe I should give Atahualpa greater prominence?"

YES! By all means! You, of all people, certainly appreciate the depth and versatility of Flynn's creation. Your site is the first I've seen that rivals Paula's Larchmont Gazette. You might consider giving ATA separate credit back in the main footer next to your general "Acknowledgments" link.

Thanks again for sharing! Now, I have to visit that Get Custom Field Values plugin and see how it works -- you make it sound SO SIMPLE! Jim
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:26 PM
trsills

2 posts · Feb 2010
Thought I'd share my newly created site as I've enjoyed looking at what other people have put together. I just came across this theme last week and put together my iPhone programming site in about 3 days. I hadn't touched WP in about 2 yrs and even before it was only for a limited amount of time. I found Atahualpa almost overwhelming at first given all the options but soon found that it was the perfect solution to the frustration I'd experienced with the previous theme I had been using.

I'm still tweaking and making adjustments as I go, but most of the heavy lifting has been completed so that I could at least go live with the new theme. I haven't added a page for it yet, but I've found the visitor maps plug-in to also be pretty entertaining.

Visit pocketworx.com if you get a change and feel free to ping me with any particular suggestions for improvement.

thx
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:00 AM
barefaced

5 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristofferrom
I've done www.ohnoono.com. I'm tweaking it once in a while but I'm pretty satisfied with the basics. Let me know what you think
Nice one, and I actually have that album!!
Nicki
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:21 AM
c4duser

24 posts · Nov 2009
Shepherd Jim wrote:
Quote:
... I have to visit that Get Custom Field Values plugin and see how it works -- you make it sound SO SIMPLE! Jim
I'm also using the Sidebar Shortcodes plugin, which may be needed for this to work.

To use the Custom Field Values plugin as I did on Capital Flow Watch, follow these steps:
  1. Create widget areas at the bottom of the center column. I use six different widget areas for each type of article that I am selecting.
  2. Create a custom field value in an article that you would like to excerpt in a widget area. Use HTML and CSS to format, include images, links, etc. to create a customized excerpt. Place this in the custom field you've created. I have six different custom field values, one for each widget area.
  3. If you want to randomly insert hand-crafted excerpts selected by topic, do this by setting up standard custom field designations. For example, I use 'sb_excerpt' to indicate all articles about 'stock buybacks', 'we_excerpt' to indicate 'world economy' , etc.
  4. Use the text widget to place the shortcode for the customized excerpt in a specific area. Title the widget to indicate the kind of article and then place code, like this:[custom_field field="extract_we" random="1" limit="1" /]. What this does is randomly select i article with the custom field 'extract_we' and places the value for that custom field in the widget area. If you have 20 articles with the custom field 'sb_extract', it will randomly select one of these articles to display.
  5. On my site, these widget areas appear also on the inner pages. Since articles are selected randomly, each set of excerpts is different from other pages.

I use only some of the features of this plugin.

Jim, I hope this is useful. (I'm not sure whether this is the proper place to post this.)
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:52 PM
ray411

2 posts · Nov 2009
Love this theme, still working on it, although not much these past few weeks, hope to spend more time on it later this week.

http://www.coolest-travel-pictures.com

Ray
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
sorodocul

2 posts · Jan 2010
Suceava, Romania
Send a message via Yahoo to sorodocul
Love this theme, still working on it. Altahualpa theme ROCKS!

http://www.blogtips.ro/
Old Mar 3, 2010, 01:56 PM
X-Evolutionist

41 posts · Mar 2010
Californian living in Oklahoma City
I just started my blog a few days ago. Here it is: http://x-evolutionist.com/

I have not customized it too much yet. Here are two things I want to be able to do:

1. I want to center the title and tagline in the header.

2. I want to edit my css so I can pick the colors that I want my links to be. I want them all the same throughout so I can change them all at once if I want a change.

I don't know how to do that stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

X

Last edited by X-Evolutionist; Mar 3, 2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: made question number 2 more clear
Old Mar 3, 2010, 05:52 PM
kal

149 posts · May 2009
Rhode Island
Hands down - THE best theme out there!

Here are three that I've done:

mikerielly.com
gspstudios.com/blog
tigercal.com

I have three more sites I am going to move over to Atahualpa!
Old Mar 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
maximze

3 posts · Sep 2009
Hey -

I thought I should throw mine in here as well. I'm using this theme as the basis of an expanding stable f niche membership sites - we've built some custom plugins for it, but the theme allows for complete flexibility. Which I love.

First site is here: My Twitter Toolbox

David
Old Mar 6, 2010, 04:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
maximze... If I may ask... What did you use for your menu?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 01:52 PM
iamklw

3 posts · Mar 2010
So I am completely new to this with absolutely NO knowledge of how to build a site. I'm glad I picked the best theme to work with!

My first attempt took me two weeks and I completely lost the site (probably was hacked or ?? because I set my permission numbers too high). Anyway it was a good learning experience.

This time around I have it up and running in less than a week. I still have two categories to finish up and then add all the meta tags and set up the rss etc. But here is what I have so far on my site
It is a pet site geared towards basic info and I wanted it to be fun. Be kind in your criticisms please!
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:07 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
iamklw... I think you did pretty good for a newbie. The only thing that hit me right off is that I think having the banner picture and the width of the content the same would help visually. For someone who says they are completely new to this with no idea of how to build a site you did better than many who have done this for some time. For instance you didn't use the default favicon, you added a nice slideshow plugin and it appears from what you said you are persistent which is probably the most important of all. Again... Good Job and me and my family love animals too.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 11:32 AM
iamklw

3 posts · Mar 2010
Thank you for your kind words, but now I have to show my ignorance....what is a banner picture? Are you referring to the header image? If so I agree that I have a couple of images in there that are not wide enough - I was just going to remove those images so the rest of the images will span the window (I have it set to fluid but have the maximum set to 1350 which is the width of most of the images.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 12:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry... Header images is what I was referring to. It looks like your widest are 1250px though. I usually set my sites to a static width of a little less than 1000px. Fluid tends to mess up layouts of pictures with text at times but I would at least set your maximum to 1250px.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 04:22 AM
acommonreader

6 posts · Feb 2010
I'm in the process of moving my blog from Typepad to WP using Atahualpa. Why did I wait to long? ! ?

Atahualpa provides everything I need and I've enjoyed the easy-to-use customisation.

A Common Reader

Any comments welcome

Tom
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:56 AM
xheartrockx

10 posts · Mar 2010
Hello everybody.

I've been a lurker on this board, sifting through entries focused on problems/glitches I had with the theme.. Anyways... I thought it might be nice to join in in case I had a problem that hasn't been up here.

Meanwhile, here's what I made with the script:
http://www.alongtheroad.de/

Comments, appreciation and rotten tomatoes this way
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:19 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Love it! Very un-bloggy. How about telling us your method for getting the gray/white background graphic in your widgets and post titles, like Welcome, Gallery, New Start? Did you use CSS inserts? How about the gaps between widgets and posts?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:13 PM
xheartrockx

10 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Love it! Very un-bloggy. How about telling us your method for getting the gray/white background graphic in your widgets and post titles, like Welcome, Gallery, New Start? Did you use CSS inserts? How about the gaps between widgets and posts?
Thank you It's a fansite I run for a friend of mine and the theme worked out great for it.

For the titles of widgets and posts, I used a graphic as a background and put it into the ATO >> Style Widget >> Widget Title box.

The gaps were achieved basically by giving the center column/post page the background of the page, then I gave the posts a different background color, borders and such.

I can't explain this properly, but maybe it helps.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:42 AM
kal

149 posts · May 2009
Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by xheartrockx
Hello everybody.

I've been a lurker on this board, sifting through entries focused on problems/glitches I had with the theme.. Anyways... I thought it might be nice to join in in case I had a problem that hasn't been up here.

Meanwhile, here's what I made with the script:
http://www.alongtheroad.de/

Comments, appreciation and rotten tomatoes this way
Really nice!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 08:55 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
For the titles of widgets and posts, I used a graphic as a background and put it into the ATO >> Style Widget >> Widget Title box.
I did the same thing for mine for the widget title box :-)
Attached a pic for those interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATO_Widget-Title-box.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	427  
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
xheartrockx

10 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMann
I did the same thing for mine for the widget title box :-)
Attached a pic for those interested.
That's what I meant Thanks for sharing that, I suck as explaining things.
May I ask where you found those social media icons? They look great
Old Mar 11, 2010, 05:26 PM
cpalmer03

15 posts · Mar 2010
Here is my blog for our podcast...let me know what you think.

www.themulliganshow.com
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:00 AM
kpkrew

1 posts · Mar 2010
here are a few I have been building , keep in mind that a few are a work in progress

Buildasite.com

bubsyboo.com

my kids site no1

my kid site no 2

Weirdwackyweb.com

bribieIsland explored.com
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:04 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
May I ask where you found those social media icons? They look great
Thanks for the kudos
I honestly don't recall where I got the icons. I think I just googled "social icons", "social media icons", or "social networking icons" and found some that I liked. I have an entire HUGE folder of them because I just kept downloading new ones and putting them into my "social icons" folder.

www.vecteezy.com has some, but I don't think it has those that I'm using.