Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Improve? Header Image Transition

Old Jun 2, 2009, 03:58 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
I like the new ability to randomly switch out the header image, but would it be possible to have them transition in a smoother manner?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:10 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You can use NextGen gallery and it's features. Take a look at this post (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1197) to see how. the only reason I'm not using it on my own webpage is I wanted to be able to have rounded corners at the top of the images and I couldn't figure out how to get that effect with Nextgen.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 04:50 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
I saw that thread and I thought perhaps there was a way to do it without having to resort to the NextGen script, which I don't particularly like. I think a smoother transition from one image to another should be the default setting. A choppy one-to-another isn't as easy on the eyes, IMHO.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:23 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
I tried the instructions in the other thread. My header moved way down, all the navigation went out of whack and I got the "need flash player to view slide show" message at the top of the page.

I think we need another way to do this.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 05:40 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
I tried putting the "header" gallery in the sidebar widget as a test, couldn't see it there either.

Last edited by krystyna; Jun 2, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 05:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Hi,
If you are getting the "need flash player to view slide show" you need to install a flash player viewer in the browser. The NextGen Slideshow uses Flash to show the pictures. Without it, nothing shows.

So you need to go to 'http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/' and install flashplayer
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:26 PM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
The reason why I got that error message was because imagerotator.swf was not installed.

This will (maybe) solve the image transition esthetics problem, but how to embed a Flash header I still don't have an answer to.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 09:53 AM
tiber

11 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
You can use NextGen gallery and it's features. Take a look at this post (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=1197) to see how. the only reason I'm not using it on my own webpage is I wanted to be able to have rounded corners at the top of the images and I couldn't figure out how to get that effect with Nextgen.
Hello, I have reviewed the thread you've linked to here, and had a couple of basic questions if you don't mind -

1 - Could you be a bit more specific in the 'inserting into css' bit? As in 'where' you would insert that code for starters? This would probably be very helpful for novices such as myself.

2 - So would one make the changes you mentioned in that thread to header.php, AND the CSS insert? This was not very clear.

3 - So after making the changes you have helpfully outlined, the header would then respond to the other variables outlined in the theme options, such as size?

Thanks for your time.

Eddie
Old Jun 25, 2009, 02:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
1 - put it in ATO->HTML/CSS Inserts->CSS Inserts
2 - yes
3 - yes
Old Jul 3, 2009, 11:50 AM
krystyna

121 posts · Apr 2009
I'm re-opening this topic because I have a new site I'm working on, and I want the smoother image transition, much like this theme:

http://essence.ithemes.com/

I've used this javascript before, but as far as Atahualpa is concerned, in order to make the transition work, where would I insert the relevant info for the javascript?

Note: I don't want this as a Flash effect, so NextGen's not an option; it must be done with JS.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 09:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I played with this for a bit and hit a couple issues
1) you must download a copy of the jquery.cross-slide.js cope - it's not part of WordPress or Atahualpa
2) You will have to edit header.php and remove the current java code and addcode to include teh jquery.cross.slide.js
3) if you overlay the blog title on the image, you will next have toe figure out a way to prevent this new code from covering up the blog title

While this is something that might be doable, and would be great, it is going to take some hours of work to figure out (at least it will if I look at it - Flynn could do it much faster, if he has the time)