Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

How to make an Archive Page?

Old Feb 4, 2009, 02:37 PM
HalfWayThere

25 posts · Feb 2009
Hi

I am trying to create a custom Archive Page, and have put the ID of an existing page into the required field but it does not work for me.

Can you confirm the correct format of this field - I have entered "126" (which is the page number)?

Thanks

Matt
Old Feb 4, 2009, 03:43 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Putting the ID is right but that's the ID of a post, not a page. The only page you seem to have so far is http://matterstoday.com/?page_id=2 - "About matterstoday.com"

Put the ID of that page (= 2) as the archive page ID to test it, or create a new page at Site Admin -> Pages -> Add new
Old Feb 4, 2009, 07:03 PM
HalfWayThere

25 posts · Feb 2009
Hi

Again, many thanks for a very quick and helpful response. I shall certainly be making a contribution shortly - the labourer is worthy of his/her hire. :-)

I tried out your suggestion, and concluded that I want to leave that idea for a while. Can you help me, though - when I click on say Archives (Feb 2009) [there are currently 3 posts there], it will only display the most recent one.

Am I correct in thinking that it is not good practice to set it up to give a potentially long display of all a months postings on one page, and that I should reintroduce a navigation tab with the post (Next/Previous Navigation, I think you call it)?

On blogspot (which I was using before I found Wordpress), it lists all the posts for the month in line, which at this stage I would prefer.

Matt
Old Feb 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
With Wordpress you set the amount of posts per page and that applies to homepage and all other multi post pages such as category pages, archive pages, search result pages etc...

The setting is done at Settings -> Reading and you appear to have set it to 1. That's why you have only 1 post on the homepage too.

At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Posts or Excerpts you can set whether to show full posts or excerpts on the various page types

Atahualpa 3.2 will have the option to display XX full posts on the homepage followed by excerpts

There's room for improvement in that area in both Wordpress and Atahualpa and I'll see if I can add more fine tuned options regarding placement, length, amount of posts/excerpts on the various page types.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:37 AM
HalfWayThere

25 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks again - it will certainly be useful having the new options on the homepage in 3.2.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 12:41 AM
lsilva

9 posts · Mar 2009
I use permalinks and my pages don't show a page ID in their URI. I created an empty page (named Site). What do I use for Archive Page id for that page? I tried putting Site in the ID but nothing is built in the page.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:43 PM
lsilva

9 posts · Mar 2009
I found out how to do this. I used page preview and the ID was in the previewed URL.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:44 PM
BooNMiNG

7 posts · Apr 2009
hi !!

i'm having trouble in certain setting in this archive page... there is this column where i can limit my "Archives by Date: Limit" ... my setting is to show POST BY POST ... so does that still apply to my setting? because i tried to set the LIMIT to 15 or 30 but it still shows every post in my history (400+) titles in my archive page as here..

http://boonming.com/archives/

any idea how to fix this??

actually i'm planning to put the archive page down under my main page like what this fellow had done...

http://kennysia.com/

*scroll down and you will see a list of archive down below...

any idea how to do it?? i've searched many places but i didn't manage to find relevant sources/codes to do it... pls forgive my nOOb-ness... =.="

Any help would be appreciated!! =)
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:49 PM
BooNMiNG

7 posts · Apr 2009
no one able to help me with that? T.T
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:40 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooNMiNG
hi !!

i'm having trouble in certain setting in this archive page... there is this column where i can limit my "Archives by Date: Limit" ... my setting is to show POST BY POST ... so does that still apply to my setting? because i tried to set the LIMIT to 15 or 30 but it still shows every post in my history (400+) titles in my archive page as here..

http://boonming.com/archives/

any idea how to fix this??

actually i'm planning to put the archive page down under my main page like what this fellow had done...

http://kennysia.com/

*scroll down and you will see a list of archive down below...

any idea how to do it?? i've searched many places but i didn't manage to find relevant sources/codes to do it... pls forgive my nOOb-ness... =.="

Any help would be appreciated!! =)
The missing limit is a bug. Thank you for finding. I will fix this in the next release. If you want to fix it in your version, replace in inde.php line 220

PHP Code:
<?php wp_get_archives('type=' $bfa_ata['archives_date_type'] . '&show_post_count=' . ($bfa_ata['archives_date_count'] == "Yes" '1' '0')); ?>
with

PHP Code:
<?php wp_get_archives('type=' $bfa_ata['archives_date_type'] . '&show_post_count=' . ($bfa_ata['archives_date_count'] == "Yes" '1' '0') . ($bfa_ata['archives_date_limit'] != "" '&limit=' $bfa_ata['archives_date_limit'] : '')); ?>
To put the archive at the bottom of the front page, make a static page the front page and put the ID of that page into Atahualpa Theme Options -> Archives Page -> Archives Page ID
Old Apr 12, 2009, 08:25 AM
BooNMiNG

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Flynn!! Danke sehr für deine "TIPS" ... the first part is fixed perfectly!! =) Aber ich habe Problem mit dem 2nd PART...

i've made the static page (which is my ARCHIVE page the front page under SETTING -> READING -> Make Static Page -> Front Page -> I chose "Archive"

then i proceed and put in the ID of the page into the theme option... but when loaded, only the archive page is loaded while the latest posts doesn't load above and never show up at all... how is it so??

ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch spreched... only ein bisschen so pls don't reply everything in German ... hahaha
Old Apr 14, 2009, 04:10 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The Archive page is not supposed to list the latest posts. It'll display the content of a specific page, plus archives of posts and/or categories
Old May 5, 2009, 08:45 AM
currye

3 posts · Apr 2009
I have added a new page Archives, the id shows as /archives I added it in Archives Page ID I still get Not Found, I tried it as archives and /archives and /archives/ neither worked, is there somthing else I need to do. Can someone please help. Thanks
Old May 5, 2009, 07:42 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The ID is always a number. With permalinks on you won't see the number in the URL, you'd have to go to edit the page, then you'll see the ID (the number) in the browser status bar and in the URL field, too