Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Adding a top margin to LH sidebar with CSS - If not td#left - then what?

Old May 14, 2012, 05:48 AM
arthurmild

50 posts · Aug 2010
Cape Town
Adding a top margin to LH sidebar with CSS - If not td#left - then what?

I want to shift the left sidebar down by about 20px on this site

Have tried adding
Code:
margin:20px 0 0 0 ;
to td#left (both in ATO SIDEBARS and in HTML/CSS inserts) - neither option works.

Firebug shows td#left to be the element to style - I came to CSS after the days of tables so am prob missing something simple ...?

Old May 14, 2012, 06:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why not shift he center down?
Old May 14, 2012, 06:33 AM
arthurmild

50 posts · Aug 2010
Cape Town
Great minds think alike !

But what if I NEEDED to move the LH sidebar (or introduce some space between its top border and the header)

I can't see why adding margin-top space to td#left has no effect
Old May 14, 2012, 08:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you can move it, just not with margin - the sidebar - td#left is part of a table, so you would have to move teh entire row with the margin.

You can change the postioning and move it that way.
Old May 14, 2012, 08:17 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The reason you can't do what you want is because the area you want to target is a table cell. Besides if you add space there it will probably not look right on other pages. I think perhaps taking out the top padding in ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Post Container and removing the top border may be what you are looking for.