Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Can I show a special greeting to new visitors?

Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:27 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Hi,

I don't know if this is even possible... but is there a way to set it up so that someone who is visiting for the first time sees something different (say a special greeting) that goes away on future visits?

Thanks in advance,
Sharon
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
This popup scheduler is one plugin that might be what you are looking for.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 05:41 PM
horsemansarts

122 posts · Jul 2009
Cool! Thanks for the reply!
Sharon
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:00 PM
WordPressZen.com

28 posts · Aug 2009
Canada/Utah
Another option is the plugin called WWSGD (aka What Would Seth Godin Do?). It also allows you to customize multiple messages based on where your visitor arrived FROM based on "referrer links" (ie. if they found you via a Google Search, or if they typed in your URL directly, etc). Fun options!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 06:24 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The big problem is knowing when a visitor shows up for the first time. Unless you force people to register, you can never be sure it is thier first time visiting, even if you put a cookie on thier computer.

Say I visit the site, so you pop up a special message. Then I go to my friends house and visit the site again. If you are using a cookie and he has never visited, you will thing this is my first time again, but its not.

And what if someone evisits the site on a public computer, then someone else visits it for the first time, but the site thinks it's not their first time since it found a cookie on the computer.

See the issues.