Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] W3C Validation 14 Errors 10 Warnings

Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:41 PM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Previously, W3C Validation PASSED with WP 3.0.4 > Atahualpa 3.5.3

however, now...

have updated Atahualpa 3.5.3 with download and manual installation of Atahualpa 3.6.4

W3C Validation has Failed with 14 Errors, 10 Warnings.

PS. All plugins deactivated.

Last edited by KatyDigg; Feb 7, 2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: PS.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 04:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what is the url?
Old Feb 7, 2011, 08:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I took a quick look at your site in the validator and it seems that the validator does not ignore comments. ie. if you have
HTML Code:
/* The pages widget gets "block" because it usually has only 
one link per <LI> and no text */
it flags the <li> as an error. Looks like the validator has some short comings....
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:03 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
My "test" site has only one posting, and as I said previously, with ATA 3.5.3 it had passed W3C.

When I switch theme to
WP default theme and run W3C validation ... all clear and passes.

But then with ATA 3.6.4 the result is...

Validation Output: 14 Errors, 10 warnings.

1. Warning Line 111, Column 31: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

/* reset "break-word" for pre & wp-syntax: */

This message may appear in several cases:
* You tried to include the "<" character in your page: you should escape it as "&lt;"
* You used an unescaped ampersand "&": this may be valid in some contexts, but it is recommended to use "&amp;", which is always safe.
* Another possibility is that you forgot to close quotes in a previous tag.

2. Warning Line 119, Column 31: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

---------- WRAPPER, CONTAINER & LAYOUT ------------------------------

* You tried to include the "<" character in your page: you should escape it as "&lt;"
* You used an unescaped ampersand "&": this may be valid in some contexts, but it is recommended to use "&amp;", which is always safe.

3. Warning Line 546, Column 10: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

in IE 6 & 7 */

4. Error Line 664, Column 50: element "A" undefined

widgets get the left border and padding on the <A> instead of the <LI>.

You have used the element named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This error is often caused by:
* incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the "<frameset>" element),
* by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
* by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and elements must be all lower-case).

5. Error Line 664, Column 70: element "LI" undefined

You have used the element named above in your document, but the document type you are using does not define an element of that name. This error is often caused by:
* incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Frameset" document type to get the "<frameset>" element),
* by using vendor proprietary extensions such as "<spacer>" or "<marquee>" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to achieve the desired effect instead).
* by using upper-case tags in XHTML (in XHTML attributes and elements must be all lower-case).

6. Error Line 670, Column 58: element "LI" undefined

…move the left border and padding from the <LI>. The margin stays on the <LI>'s

7. Error Line 670, Column 88: element "LI" undefined

8. Error Line 671, Column 18: element "A" undefined

because if the <A>'s of the cateories widget were set to display:inline (defaul…

9. Error Line 680, Column 47: element "A" undefined

/* Then, add left border and padding to the <A> */

10. Error Line 739, Column 17: element "LI" undefined

11. Warning Line 928, Column 48: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

/*-------------------- ICONS in KICKER, BYLINE & FOOTER ---*/

12. Warning Line 1210, Column 19: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

---------- TABLES & CALENDAR ----------------------------------------

13. Warning Line 1677, Column 19: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

/* For accordion & tabs*/

14. Warning Line 1786, Column 22: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

height: auto; /* FF & Safari need auto */

Last edited by KatyDigg; Feb 7, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
15. Warning Line 2521, Column 24: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

/* divs added for "IE6 & 2 menu styles" */

16. Warning Line 2665, Column 56: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

* HACKS : Suckerfish w/Form Field Support (for IE 5.5 & 6.x)

17. Warning Line 2795, Column 28: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

---------- HACKS: Clearfix & others ---------------------------------

18. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "LI" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".
19. Info Line 739, Column 14: start tag was here

20. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "A" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

You may have neglected to close an element, or perhaps you meant to "self-close" an element, that is, ending it with "/>" instead of ">".

21. Info Line 680, Column 45: start tag was here

/* Then, add left border and padding to the <A> */

22. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "A" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

23. Info Line 671, Column 16: start tag was here

because if the <A>'s of the cateories widget were set to display:inline (defaul…

24. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "LI" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

25. Info Line 670, Column 85: start tag was here

26. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "LI" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

27. Info Line 670, Column 55: start tag was here

28. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "LI" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

29. Info Line 664, Column 67: start tag was here

30. Error Line 2962, Column 9: end tag for "A" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was specified

}</style>

31. Info Line 664, Column 48: start tag was here

Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:10 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
All of which, looks very much like this posting dated Jan 09, 2011

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12138
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:10 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
1. Warning Line 111, Column 31: character "&" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data

/* reset "break-word" for pre & wp-syntax: */

The validator is flagging an error where the line in question is a COMMENT line in the CSS.
Comments in the CSS should be ignored by the validator.

I just tested the validator in 3.5.3 and it kicks out the same 'errors'
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:33 PM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Yet, when I validate 3.5.3. I don't get the same ... all clear (passed OK).
Old Feb 7, 2011, 01:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Not all validators are alike. I just created this page in straight HTML
HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-US">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<title>W3 Testing</title>
<style type="text/css">
/* ===================================== */
/* test comment & this should be ignored */
/* ===================================== */
tr#bodyrow {
border: solid 1px red;
	}</style>

</head>
<body>
hello world
</body>
</html>
If I run it at http://validator.w3.org, I get 1 error - on the line of COMMENTS
If I run it at http://jigsaw.w3.org, I get 0 errors
Old Feb 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
runnerb0y

67 posts · Nov 2010
juggledad,

That's a good illustration of why we should check things against multiple sources. Just like viewing your site using IE, Safari, FireFox and Chrome.

Good stuff and thanks for the good reminder!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 02:48 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean
All of which, looks very much like this posting dated Jan 09, 2011

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12138

Assuredly, I do test with more than one tool!

Old Feb 8, 2011, 04:56 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Happily, I have now managed to solve this puzzle.

Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
And are you willing to share your solution?
Is it that you set the 'ato->Configure CSS & JS->CSS: Compress' option to 'Yes' so the comments are removed and the validators don't trip over comments in the CSS? (which they should ignore - a bug in the validators)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
KatyDigg

319 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
And are you willing to share your solution?
Is it that you set the 'ato->Configure CSS & JS->CSS: Compress' option to 'Yes' so the comments are removed and the validators don't trip over comments in the CSS? (which they should ignore - a bug in the validators)
Hi Juggledad,

No, because ATO > Configure CSS & JS > Compress option - was set to default 'Yes'

What I have done is this, I have tested all the options within ATO > Configure CSS & JS

I now have an all clear "Passed" ok ... by the validators.

This can be achieved by either of the following (each with CSS Compress set to default 'Yes'):

CSS change to 'External'

JS change to 'External'

OR

CSS default 'Inline'

JS default 'Inline'

Allow Debugging change to 'No'

(remember to switch on to Yes before raising a question here at BFA Forum!).

It is, of course, due to the comments and directives included as such in the CSS, and is, of course, picked up by the validators.

Please see... http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...7247#post57247

Last edited by KatyDigg; Feb 8, 2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: to insert helpful link to other thread
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Thank you for point outthe case in whichthe error happens. I looked at the code and in the 3.6 release, there was a change that causes the compression to be ignored if 'Allow debugging' is set to 'Yes'.

I have created a BUGFIX, see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12685