Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

A cell that spans more than one cell/column?

Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:41 AM
Sundrop

14 posts · Dec 2009
I am experimenting with a new front page, magazine or newspaper style.

I am doing ok with three columns using this code to style the center column. (Content in cells 1, 3, & 5. Cells 2 and 4 provide padding.)

Code:
<?php if (is_page(6814)) { bfa_widget_area('name=Magazine Front&cells=5&align=9&width_1=500&width_2=50&width_4=50&width_5=250&before_widget=<div id="%1$s" class="header-widget %2$s">&after_widget=</div>'); } ?>
My question: is there a way to have a cell span across two or more cells/columns?

For example, I'd like to have one long cell on the left, from top to bottom. Then I'd like to be able to have something span the top of the middle and right cell, perhaps something like Featured Content Gallery.

Is that possible? Or is there some way to accomplish this by other means?

Thank you very much?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:55 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you want a cell to span multiple colums use the colspan option. For Example, this is how the header area works across there columns:
HTML Code:
<td id="header" colspan="3">
Old Dec 22, 2009, 08:34 AM
Sundrop

14 posts · Dec 2009
Was posting before my morning coffee, and I meant to make clear that I know how to make table cells span multiple rows or columns for a regular table.

But I don't know how to do that and put a widget area in there.

I am trying to create widget areas for a new front page, and what I'd like is one long widget area on the left, from top to bottom. Then I'd like to be able to have a widget area span the top of the middle and right widget areas. That top right widget area could have something like the Featured Content Gallery widget spanning the middle and right widget areas beneath it.

Does that make more sense? I'd be glad to format a table as you suggest, juggledad, but I don't know how to get a widget area in there. I hope it's easy and I'm missing something obvious.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:36 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Let me see if I have it, the normal page looks like this
HHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHH
SSSCCCCCCSSS
SSSCCCCCCSSS
SSSCCCCCCSSS
SSSCCCCCCSSS
SSSCCCCCCSSS
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

and you want to add in a new area like this?

NNNHHHHHHHHHHH
NNNHHHHHHHHHHH
NNNNNNCCCCCCSSS
NNNSSSCCCCCCSSS
NNNSSSCCCCCCSSS
NNNSSSCCCCCCSSS
NNNSSSCCCCCCSSS
NNNFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
NNNFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:51 PM
Sundrop

14 posts · Dec 2009
Close... I want the header and the footer to be in the normal fashion, then I want Widget areas that I'll number below.... I could leave out header and footer because they are not really germane, but...

HHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHH
FFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFF

Something like that. The code I posted above in my original question works great for giving me 3 long vertical columns (with 2 thin columns in between), but I would like, if possible, to be able to span some of the columns with another widget area.

Thank you for your interest.