Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Creating a home page that is a page

Old Mar 2, 2009, 05:52 PM
Witchypoo

5 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Delete the word "Home" from that textfield, that's it
Really do apreciate you responding but I'm afraid I mustn't have been clear. What I've been searching for is where to find the ...
"4) At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar, " to "delete the "Home" from "Home link in Page Menu Bar" "
... I've searched the THEME OPTIONS page and can find only the 'yes/no' toggle to include the menu, but nothing that allows the described change.
Also, with...
"5) At Site Admin -> Pages, click on all pages and watch the menu tab "Attributes" on the right side. "
... When I used to open my WordPress, I had a Site Admin link that would allow me to see attributes, etc. Now, since upgrading to WordPress 2.7.1, I can not find that Site Admin link and the only way I have to affect changes is through the side menu for settings. I've posted a screenshot so you can see what I mean, or perhaps describe where to find that option... if you would be so kind (?) Thanks again, Witchypoo<|: )
Old Mar 2, 2009, 06:13 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchypoo
Really do apreciate you responding but I'm afraid I mustn't have been clear. What I've been searching for is where to find the ...
"4) At Atahualpa Theme Options -> Page Menu Bar, " to "delete the "Home" from "Home link in Page Menu Bar" "
... I've searched the THEME OPTIONS page and can find only the 'yes/no' toggle to include the menu, but nothing that allows the described change.
Also, with...
"5) At Site Admin -> Pages, click on all pages and watch the menu tab "Attributes" on the right side. "
... When I used to open my WordPress, I had a Site Admin link that would allow me to see attributes, etc. Now, since upgrading to WordPress 2.7.1, I can not find that Site Admin link and the only way I have to affect changes is through the side menu for settings. I've posted a screenshot so you can see what I mean, or perhaps describe where to find that option... if you would be so kind (?) Thanks again, Witchypoo<|: )
4. You're running Atahualpa 2. Atahualpa 3 is optically similar but much different under the hood.

5. I've attached an image below. Click on Pages -> Edit -> [Title of a page] -> then you'll have the screen that is attached below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page-order.jpg
Views:	1229
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	56  
Old Mar 3, 2009, 09:18 PM
Witchypoo

5 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks for the screen shot! It let me see that I am working on the same playing feild (wondered about that) but the biggest issue for me is still how to find/alter the 'page menu bar'. I have yet to find that in my dashboard and until I do I can't delete the "Home link in Page Menu Bar". If you could kindly point out where to find that, I think I'd be golden.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 08:58 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You don't have that option because you're running Atahualpa 2
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:38 PM
Witchypoo

5 posts · Mar 2009
Ahem... ok, I've upgraded to Atahalpa 3, followed the directions you provided and have set a static home page. Thank you very much for your patience and kindness! Can't wait to check out all the great options in this incredible theme <|: )
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:21 AM
idg

21 posts · Mar 2009
Seattle, WA
Upgraded to 3.3.3 last night and went back into index.php to manually remove the category headline from my front page like before. I read about the HTML/CSS insert option for 3.3.3, but didn't want to mess with Google and invisible type.

The code Flynn indicates to replace on post#13 of this thread has moved to lines 145-161. (old was 88-103).

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:05 AM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hi there,

I tried to follow the code in the link where it says to remove the 'Page' tag from multiple pages which were ID# 24, 2, and 14, otherwise known as 'main' 'Random Page' and 'The Blog' but when I did this the only thing that happened was it removed the title of my first post in 'The Blog' page... any ideas what I did wrong? I put the old code back and it came back luckily.

All these pages were made using a copy of 'Index.php' as the template if that makes a difference
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:12 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hello Humphrey:

I'm not an expert. ..and not sure I understand what you're wanting to do or what solution you're reffing when you say "code in the link".

But, I do note that you're mentioning "The Blog" along with what sound like they're "static pages" --'main' 'Random Page'. WordPress and Atahualpa treat "pages" differently than "blog pages" --

As I've come to understand it, blog posts will show up on "muliple post" pages -- maybe all posts in a certatin category, or tag, or the main "blog roll" -- these multiple post pages tend to show an excerpt of the beginning of the post -- the length of which you can set by inserting the ...<more>... tag

OR as single post pages -- showing ONE post in full with comments and "type a new comment" area below the last comment.

In Atahualpa, Flynn tends to say "page" when referring to what WordPress might call a "static page", and he says "post" when discussing a page showing a "blog post".

Suggest you go back in and make sure you haven't included the "page code" for your blog where you should only be listing "pages".

Jim
Old Apr 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Jim,
Thanks for a response!
sorry I am not very clear about what I am talking about and am using the wrong terms... let me try and reference it again...
In this topic, post #12 shows the problem I am having... I want to remove that heading 'Home' from my static front page, but when I try the code in post #13 I am not having any luck. I also tried the code in http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?p=613 with also no luck.

By the standards you mentioned before I have currently got 2 'Page's and 1 'post' on my site and in WordPress Options I have set it to show a static page for my front page which is titled 'Main' and I set the post page to be 'The Blog' and I have a third 'page' that is titled 'Random Page' and just has some text and a photo.

I want to remove these headers that show up (as in picture in post #12 on this topic) but when I have tried the code I mentioned before, the only time anything happens is that if I use the one to remove based on an array and input all page ID's into that array, my 'post' page is the only one effected, and it removes the headings from all my blog posts but not the page heading.

where is the code that identifies pages as either 'Page' or 'Post' pages? Is there more to it than selecting it in WP -> Reading Settings ? maybe I messed it up somewhere. All my pages have been created using a template version of index.php, could this be causing a problem? My front_page doesn't seem to identify itself properly, because I tried putting other code in to add widgets to the front page and that didn't work either

Thanks for the help!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:14 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey
...<snip>...
where is the code that identifies pages as either 'Page' or 'Post' pages? Is there more to it than selecting it in WP -> Reading Settings ? maybe I messed it up somewhere. All my pages have been created using a template version of index.php, could this be causing a problem? My front_page doesn't seem to identify itself properly, because I tried putting other code in to add widgets to the front page and that didn't work either
Ouch! Okay, like I said I'm pretty new to WP and Atahualpa. It sounds like you're working way too hard, re-inventing the wheel, etc.

Log into the WP Dashboard: You should be creating static pages by opening the "Pages" dropdown and clicking on "Add New". Give the page a name (which will show up in the navigation or Menu Bar IF you have it show pages (vs. category names, the other option) and put your text in the editor window.

You create posts by dropping down the "Posts" and clicking on "Add New" -- same drill in this editor except you also have all the blog post "stuff" to set and specify.

I understand where your head is at. I am also "old school" -- used to re-naming files, cutting pasting, etc. -- building things fromn scratch. BUT, WordPress is set up to do a LOT of stuff FOR you. It sounds like you're mostly getting in WP's way.

I'd suggest deleting ALL the "pages" you've created by re-naming index.php. Prob good idea to copy the text body of the pages before deleting. Then, go into the Dashboard, "Add New" a new page and paste your body text in -- that'll keep from having to re-type everything.

Caution: the WP text editor is a finnicky piece of work. I'd suggest viewing and editing your pages (and posts) mostly in the HTML view -- only switch to "Visual" to check out what you're getting.

Spend some time using WP at its simplest to get a feel for what's doing behind the scenes. THEN, you can "go in" and start tweaking. Like in the text editor (page and post), you can set up <divs> etc. and then "style" them by inserting CSS in the Atahualpa HTML/CSS tab.

Also, always a good idea to go back through the Atahualpa Theme Options tabs (starting with "Start"!) and REALLY reading what Flynn's written in there. It's not like a "WP for Dummies" manual, but he has included a TON of info in there. More and more of it makes sense as your experience with WP and the theme increase. You'll discover that he's anticipated some of the changes you want to make and already provided the mechanism for you to do so.

Last, but by no means least, make a PayPal donation to BytesForAll. You will not find better support ANYWHERE in the WP world -- and that includes most of the PAID themes!

Good Luck! Jim
Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:24 PM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hey Jim,
I just want to say a HUGE thank you!
That was the perfect advice. once I threw them all out and started again simply, it worked 100%!
Thanks again and I'm going to donate as soon as I have got the site 95% what I have in my head, just to be sure I'm sticking with this theme.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by idg
Upgraded to 3.3.3 last night and went back into index.php to manually remove the category headline from my front page like before. I read about the HTML/CSS insert option for 3.3.3, but didn't want to mess with Google and invisible type.

The code Flynn indicates to replace on post#13 of this thread has moved to lines 145-161. (old was 88-103).

Hope that helps.
I just created a new site and used WP 2.7.1 and Atahualpa 3.3.2. I tried to remove the title from the Home page using Flynn's new CSS option, but couldn't figure it out from his brief mention in the Changelog 3.2 to 3.3 http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=199:

Quote:
DONE: Add option to not show the page headline in the body copy of individual or all "Page" pages. ( possible now with CSS Insert div#post-106 div.post-headline {display:none;}, see next list item )
DONE: Let Wordpress add the whole range of classes and ID's to posts and pages so individual posts/pages can be styled differently without file edits PLUS: each <body> gets ID and classes now = individual styling for each page possible
I was successful using the method from post #13 described earlier (that IDG wrote about, supplying the new line numbers). However I'd like to use the new option that Flynn has put in. Has anyone been able to figure out exactly what text to put in, and exactly where in the Atahualpa CSS page options?

Flynn - if you're reading this, can you explain this point a little more fully? Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 07:21 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
On all static pages, the <BODY> tag has an ID in this form

HTML Code:
<body id="body-page-XX" class="......">
with XX being the ID of the current static page.

On the front page it is

HTML Code:
<body id="body-frontpage" class="......">
With

HTML Code:
body#body-page-13 div.post-headline {
display: none;
}
you can remove the post-headline container on the page with the ID 13

With

HTML Code:
body#body-frontpage div.post-headline {
display: none;
}
you can remove the post-headline container on the front page
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:50 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Flynn,

This is an awesome theme - I've never found one so easy to customize. Thank you.

I want to do the same thing as described above, however Wordpress seems to think that no theme exists/is installed, and I get the error "The requested theme does not exist" when I try to enter the theme Editor. We're at www.uniquediveadventures.com.

I can see in our file manager on our host control panel that the theme is fully installed, but I think it may have something to do with me messing with one of the header function files the other day.

Can you please help?

Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2010, 01:52 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Also, the index.php when I pull it from our file manager looks very short and doesn't have any bodytags
Old Mar 5, 2010, 04:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
index.php IS very short. If it may be caused by something you did to header.php, upload a new copy and see what happens
Old Mar 8, 2010, 02:32 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Thanks juggledad,

Are you telling me to upload a new copy of the entire theme or just header.php? If I upload an entire new copy would I lose all the customizations I've done?

Also, where exactly in the index.php file do I insert the code that Flynn recommends for omitting the page title?

Sorry I'm such a noob.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:24 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can just upload header.php - you won't loose your settings since they are stored in the wp database and this is the CODE you are talking about

Last edited by juggledad; Mar 14, 2010 at 05:08 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:22 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Hey juggledad.

Thanks for your help so far. I uploaded a new Header.php file, and WP still can't find the theme. If I reupload the theme entirely, will WP's database preserve my customizations?

And are you saying the edits I need to make are in the Header.php file, not the index.php file?

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
All teh settings made using the theme are stored in the DB so if you reload the theme, they won't be effected - IF you have loaded IMAGES you will have to reload tehm. if you reload the theme all your settings set via the them
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:01 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Reuploaded the theme - everything looks good. However, I still can't get the 'Home' title off the frontpage. What am I doing wrong? There is no place in the index.php file to enter Flynn's code. I tried it as a CSS insert, and an HTML Body Tag insert, and am still not getting any results.

Please help?
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it looks like you may have added some CSS Inserts to the 'HTML Inserts: Body Tag' option, that won;t do anything but possible cause a problem

1) what is the name of your HOME page (ie your page-id-5)?
2) what have you got coded at ATO->Page Menu Bar->Home link in Page Menu Bar? make sure this is empty
Old Mar 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Took out the inserts in HTML Inserts: Body Tag option.

1 ) page-id-1
2 ) It's empty

I just need to know where to enter Flynn's code...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:55 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Wait, did you create a page template?
with Atahualpa 3.3.3 and later and WP 2.7.x and later, if you want to create a static home page you
1) use 'ADD PAGE' to create a page (call it myhome)
2) go to 'dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays' and select 'A static page', then pick 'myhome' as teh page.

that's it. you're done. from then on 'mypage' will display as the front page of the site.

If you use a template for the page, then the logic in that template is going to control what shows up and I can't tell you what is will be since I don't have the code you are using.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 03:50 PM
UniqueDiveAdventures

16 posts · Mar 2010
Thanks juggledad,

Those settings had already been in place. Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

I read this thread to learn how I can remove the 'Home' page title (or in your example, 'myhome') from the static Front page. I've been searching where to insert Flynn's codes to make this change, but I can't find it.

I attached a screenshot to show what I'm referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	437  

Last edited by UniqueDiveAdventures; Mar 17, 2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: add screenshot