Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Enabling/disabling sidebar

Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:19 PM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
Basically, I need an option for my users to disable the sidebar, while looking at the posts. I can do that now, but that would disable it for everyone, I'd like to offer that feature to only those who need it.

Because some people, with low 4:3 resolution, will see my images (that are 800px wide) in the sidebar.

I tried installing two Atahualpa themes and a theme switcher. Then I edited one theme's settings that it would not show a sidebar in posts, but when I switched back, I noticed that those settings "carried over," which means it either showed the sidebar for both or for neither of them.

Is there any way I could solve this problem?

Alternatively, could I change the sidebar, so it would be up or down instead? And possibly, so I could only change that in one theme, so people could use that Atahualpa theme, which has the sidebar on the side.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:24 PM
NeilC

47 posts · Jun 2010
Runcorn, Cheshire, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to NeilC
Could you possibly use a gallery with thumbnails and have the images open as a lightbox-style. That way you could have a very narrow sidebar containing a 1 x any-number gallery and could accommodate users with low res screens.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:40 PM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
I'm afraid not, full-sized images are kind-of needed for my blog, which is used for my "let's play."

Since there are screenshots from the visual novel from time to time, I feel like it would stop the flow, if people had to click to open the images or anything of that sorts.

It also has youtube videos. While I can make those smaller, some people don't like to use full-screen, so I'd rather use the proper resolution for that.

Last edited by Certis; Aug 2, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:52 PM
NeilC

47 posts · Jun 2010
Runcorn, Cheshire, UK
Thinking outside the box....

Create two style sheets, not two themes with switching. Similar to a Mobile option I guess.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
How would I be able to create links for switching them?

And from what I saw from the css files, I didn't see the part where sidebars where handled.

That option, would be the best, to be honest, if it works on the fly (switching with AJAX?).
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:06 PM
NeilC

47 posts · Jun 2010
Runcorn, Cheshire, UK
Another way might be to create two "all-encompassing" classes and then replicate the CSS generation with different page widths/sidebar generation for each class.

Its a problem I have to overcome at a later date as I need to add mobile-css to my own site. Thankfully I do not have to deal with this task myself yet!

I was just thinking out loud and in general terms because I will have to think about it myself at a later date.

Good luck.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
There's no way I can think of doing this 'on the fly' because the page is already built and the sidebars are part of a row of a table. You would almost have to have a duplicate of the page with the sidebars excluded and just jump to that page to do what you want.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:52 AM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
Then is there a way to remove the sidebar for one Atahualpa theme? Seeing as I have installed two, I could use the theme switcher to switch them.

Or move the sidebar up, instead of the side.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Sidebar can only be on the side. I haven't played with theme switcher, but the problem I envision is that you will not be able to have two copies of the theme options unless you copy the theme code and edit it to change the name of the database row it uses.

Then you will have to make sure that every time you make a theme change, you make it in the other and you will have to edit the theme and make the new copy every time a new release comes out.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:32 AM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
I have edited the names of them.

But for some reason, when I use the theme switcher and change something in ATO, they apply for both skins.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:37 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you have done it correctly, you should have a row in the wp-options table beginning with bfa-ata4 and a second row with the name you chose. Do you have the two rows in the db?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:30 AM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
I seem to only have 1 line of that in my database.

The way I tried to install two copies of them was just having two copies of the theme in my themes folder and changing the name of the theme in the CSS file.

It seems that it wasn't enough.

Could you please guide me on how to do it properly? Also, will switching themes reset the widget placement? Cause I'd like my visitors to see the same widgets with both themes.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you search thru the forums, I seem to remember someone who did this. But to guide you thru this process is beyond a simple answer from the forum.

Having not yused theme swtcher, i would have to install multisites, install theme switcher and then firuge out how to do it then write up The steps. If you would like to fund this amount of work, send me a PM.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:27 AM
Certis

12 posts · Jul 2010
Unfortunately I do not have any means to transfer money to other countries.

But could you just tell me how to change the database name of the skin? From bfa_ata4 to something else.

Edit: I found out how to do that. I just copied the contents of bfa_ata4 and made a a new one in wp-content, called something else. Then edited all the files of my second installed copy to change bfa_ata4 to what the new one.

The theme switcher works perfectly now and I can edit the theme options seperately, while the widgets stay the same for both of them. Thank you everyone so much for your support.

Last edited by Certis; Aug 3, 2010 at 08:59 AM.