Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Would like hover background to fill menu

Old Sep 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
ktaylor310

11 posts · May 2010
Hi, I know the answer to this is probably simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can you please take a look at the following site: http://www.crossroadsowensboro.org/site/

I would like the current item/hover background to fill the menu from top to bottom instead of presenting as a rectangle around the item. I like the size of the menu and the padding around the menu items themselves, so I am hoping that doesn't have to change.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 08:19 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Menus configuration is often more complex than other items on a site. I played with the code for this for a bit with Firebug and came up with the following.
HTML Code:
#rmenu2 li a {
    height: 20px;
    margin-top: -5px !important;
    padding-top: 9px !important;
}
The submenus are a bit off so you will have to play with them. I mean I can't do it all for you... right.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 08:33 AM
ktaylor310

11 posts · May 2010
Thank you so much!! That worked great. One more question (isn't that the way it always works I've noticed that the left/right padding is not the same (narrower) around menu items that have children. Is there anyway to make the padding consistent?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:36 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Thus the complexity of styling menus. It is a matter of determining the selectors for the items in question and styling with CSS. That's where the Firebug addon for Firefox comes in.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 09:42 AM
ktaylor310

11 posts · May 2010
Yes, that is what I use too. Couldn't live without Firebug! Just not having a whole lot of luck with this one. Thanks for all your help though. I'll keep working on it.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
since it is a hover, don't forget the css will be using the pseudo code on the link i.e. ... a:hover {...}
Old Sep 22, 2011, 10:34 AM
ktaylor310

11 posts · May 2010
Thanks! Probably can't work on this site today, but as soon as I get it squared away I will re-post in case someone else runs into this situation.