Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

How create an alternate page template ATA 3.6.7

Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
blueprairie

98 posts · Feb 2009
How create an alternate page template ATA 3.6.7

Hello! Its been awhile, but I believe I have created alternate page templates in ATA such that a drop-down appeared on the right nav of the Admin "new/edit page" screen.

I need a couple changes between the main template and the alternate, mainly change the background image and also change the size of the right sidebar (the goal is to create a page template that will allow for longer content with a plain background image rather than the very fixed space used with the main background.

I made a copy of index.php and called it PlainTemplate.php but have made no other alterations to it.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Why not. Use CSS to make the changes for that page?
HTML Code:
body.page-id-1739 {background: #ffffff;}
body.page-id-1739 .colthree {width: 400px;}
you have to know how many sidebars you are using to determine the 'colxxxxx' to use or you could exclude the sidebar using the 'RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Pages:' option

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 13, 2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
blueprairie

98 posts · Feb 2009
I need it to be very easy as the ministry will be maintaining the site themselves. Manually updating the CSS each time they want a page like this is probably too much. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
blueprairie

98 posts · Feb 2009
Here is the temp address if it helps: http://womenat.s426.sureserver.com
Old Jan 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The background will always have to be set via CSS - however, if the background for all pages that use the template will be the same you can use
HTML Code:
body.page-template-PlainTemplate-php {background.......}
as for teh template, take a look at the 'http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8787' thread in teh Gold Forums tutorials
Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I took a quick look at how your site is constructed and I see that you are using a body background as the background for the page. Also from what you said it seems like you only want this front page and perhaps a select few other pages to be this fixed size with all others being longer to accommodate more text. If those assumptions are correct I would...
  • Use a page as the front page with the welcome message
  • Use the image you are using now as a background for that page
  • Eliminate the right sidebar for just that page
  • Use separate background images for the left sidebar and main content
  • Build the CSS that applies to all other pages
In other words build the front page and use the necessary CSS to make it look like you want but for any other pages anyone creates the CSS you created for all other pages would be in place.

This is all much more difficult to explain that it is to do.