Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

add a 3rd sidebar?

Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:07 AM
ryanl

3 posts · Jun 2009
I am just now starting my first blog and I am psyched to have found the Atahualpa theme! I am a blogging newbie , so being able to control the look and feel of the blog in this way is wonderful! There are a few things that I would like to do and am working on figuring out how to do them, but first of all I am wondering how to add a 3rd sidebar to the left of the right sidebar... I feel that this would involve some tinkering with CSS and also footer.php (perhaps even hacking functions.php...), but I am thinking that its definitely possible.

Does Atahualpa support the addition of a 3rd sidebar?

I also realize that this will involve no simple solution, and as I am still unable to properly show my thanks for all the work and ingenuity it obviously takes to build and support this theme , I do not really expect a complete solution at this time. But, I would like to know if adding this 3rd sidebar is even practically possible for someone with a considerably mediocre understanding of php, such as myself.

Thanks a million!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:48 AM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
I added three sidebars in the footer by placing this in the footer section of the Atahualpa options:

<div id="footer-bars" class="secondary">
<div id="footer-bar1" class="sidebar">
<ul><?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar')
|| !dynamic_sidebar(3) ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?></ul>
</div>
<div id="footer-bar2" class="sidebar">
|| !dynamic_sidebar(4) ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?></ul>
</div>
<div id="footer-bar3" class="sidebar">
|| !dynamic_sidebar(5) ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?></ul>
</div>
</div> <!-- Close footer-sidebar -->

Not sure where you would place the above to add a second sidebar.

You also modify functions.php by adding this:

register_sidebar(array(
'name'=>'footer-bar1',
'before_widget' => '<div id="%1$s" class="widget %2$s">',
'after_widget' => '</div>',
'before_title' => '<div class="widget-title"><h3>',
'after_title' => '</h3></div>',
));
register_sidebar(array(
'name'=>'footer-bar2',
));
register_sidebar(array(
'name'=>'footer-bar3',
));

In your case you would only need to add one each of the above of course.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 11:55 AM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
this link may help also

http://www.blogohblog.com/adding-ext...rdpress-theme/
Old Jun 24, 2009, 12:59 PM
ryanl

3 posts · Jun 2009
wow, thank you! i can't say that i have been entirely successful, and i could not easily explain exactly what i did just yet, but i know i am close. whats happened now is that the right sidebar is now pushed beyond the right "edge" of the site by the new "rightleft" sidebar. i am assuming that a div style or td style or something like that is incorrect and i am not sure what yet but i am looking into how i can fix it now. atleast the 3rd sidebar is there and also can be widgetized! the link you sent is helpful even though this theme doesnt have a sidebar.php, so thank you for that! any ideas what im doing wrong??
Old Jun 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
ryanl

3 posts · Jun 2009
nope. im not gonna get it tonight... well, this morning (its 4 am in Beijing and I definitely should be sleeping). its a good thing i made back up files of the ones i've been playing with! thanks again, bushtool!
Old Jun 26, 2009, 06:46 AM
bushtool

93 posts · May 2009
beyond my pay grade

I'm afraid that I am just a hacker and your issue is now beyond my level of css comprehension.

Surely there is someone here that can address your layout issue.