Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Categories: Not working

Old Dec 26, 2008, 06:52 PM
Ponics

14 posts · Dec 2008
Costa Rica
Hi to all!

RIGHT sidebar: Don't display on Categories is working but I dont know if this is the way it should work. I checked carefully and the category where I dont want the right sidebar to show up it is the number 77. I added the category in the

To turn off the right sidebar on individual categories, put the ID's of those categories here, separated by comma

If I click on the category " MindMap" from the Category Menu on the front page, I have that category with no right bar, but just the category without the posts inside. If I click on the Category to get the post , than the right bar is showing up! Is it possible that a plug in could cause this? I tried also on the Left Bar, still showing up!

Any suggestions? I have 2.7 and 3.17. The only feature I changed was the width of the columns. That worked.

You can see the site at ponics.org:
1) Category menu on the right
2) click on the CAT "MindMap"
3) than the category shows up ..but just the category title without sidebar
4) click on the MindMap Category to get the post
5) right bar is there (no room to show up the MindMap

Is this normal or do I am missing something?

Thanks

Roger Pilon, Caretaker
Ponics.org
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:48 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
What you're getting after you clicked the category link is an excerpt of the (only) post in that category. If there were more posts you'd get excerpts of the other posts, too.

Then when you click on the title of that post's excerpt you get the full post. I think you want to see the full post after you clicked the category link. To do that change "Posts or Excerpts?" -> "Posts or excerpts on CATEGORY pages?" to "Full Posts"
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:30 PM
Ponics

14 posts · Dec 2008
Costa Rica
First thanks Flyn or such a fast answer!

I set up "Posts or excerpts on CATEGORY pages?" to "Full Posts" I can see that there is no more excerpt after having clicked on a category.

But, yes there is a but, the right column is still showing up . (Firefox 3.0)

Just to be on the safe side (in case of cache issues), I changed browser and used Explorer. (crappy 6.0). The excerpt still shows up on Explorer (no big deal) but on the full post ...again the right sidebar is there!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Merci

Roger Pilon, Caretaker
ponics.org
Old Dec 27, 2008, 03:09 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The right sidebar is gone when you're on a category page. I think you expected the right sidebar to vanish from "posts in category X" as well. There is no such feature though. You can turn sidebars on/off for single pages and for single categories but not for single posts. The feature "Don't display on Categories:" means "category pages" not "posts in that category". I'll make that clearer in the next release.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:03 AM
Ponics

14 posts · Dec 2008
Costa Rica
Thanks for your answer!

What would be the solution for users that need more space to display "something' like in my case a mindmap? I know I could use page to publish the mindmaps but with time, as I want to make many of them, the pages will begin to pile up and ''clogg" the theme.

This is why I prefer to use posts. Question:

1) could you make a post template (yes a post template NOT a page template) without any sidebars? The code would be in the single.php and related to a specific category like: if CAT_X than use nosidebar-post-template.php if not use sinple.php?

2) Extend the sidebars options to individual post for the next version?

Thanks for your outstanding support!

Roger Pilon, Caretaker
ponics.org
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:31 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I might be able to add that option (2) for the next release. A post template would not work, the sidebars are located in header.php and footer.php
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:47 AM
Ponics

14 posts · Dec 2008
Costa Rica
Thank you Flyn!

That would be so nice to have this feature for individual posts. Maybe easier to assign it to all posts that belongs to a category??

Like in my case, just an example, if category "MindMaps", than all posts under that category, I will have the option to "play" with the sidebars.

Maybe to add both options would be better. Ok I am pushing here!

I will use the sidebar-nosidebar options with pages meanwhile!

Great 2009 year!

Roger Pilon, Caretaker
ponics.org