Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How to disable menu from going to parent page with no content?

Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Horse Country in Virginia
its the simple things in life that cause me trouble...
how do you set up a menu to not go to the parent if there is a child and parent has no content?

There is a toggle in the ATO>> Menu to set first Level

HTML Code:
Set this to No to replace the link target of first level parent items with <a href="#"> 
This will basically unlink the first level menu items that have children. The submenus drop down 
when pointing the mouse at the link, but clicking the link doesn't do anything. This is for users
that want to organize their pages in main pages and sub pages but don't have content on the 
main pages. "Yes" means "Yes, don't link".
But what about sub menu items?

In the case below I never want anyone to be able to go to Event Pictures
"Pictures" is taken care of by the toggle above in ATO.
I only want user to be able to go to Team pictures or specific event-1, specific event-2...
Event Pictures has no content.

Pictures--------------------about--------Contact--------home
>Event Pictures
>>Specific Event-1
>>Specific Event-2
>Team pictures

Atahualpa 3.6.7
Love the Atahualpa Theme!
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just use the WordPress menu builder and use a custom menu item for the top level with a # in the URL box.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The easiest way to do this would be to create a wordpress custom menu, then the "pictures' and 'Event Pictures' items could be custom links with just a '#' or leave it blank in the link area.

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Horse Country in Virginia
Thanks, how is that with SEO?