Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
Click Here To DONATE! Support the theme development, get more attention and additional benefits based on your donation level. Your forum name will be highlighted.

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

How do I make one custom link in the Pages Menu?

Build custom WP THEMES, without
coding.
Click here for THEMEFRAME

From the author of Atahualpa, the #1 most
downloaded (700,000+) theme @ wordpress.org
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:27 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi guys!

I searched previous threads and found an answer to this question (with the same title) from Flynn. However, I am getting an error message.

Flynn said: Add this to the bottom of Atahualpa's functions.php

<?php function replace_menu_link($string) {
return str_replace('http://www.yoursite.com/link/to/dummypage/',
'http://www.othersite.com/link.html', $string);
}
add_filter('wp_list_pages', 'replace_menu_link');
?>

Now, to be clear on what I did, I literally did what he said and added this as an additional <? ?> section after the last ?> of the original function.php code. My specific code is:

return str_replace('http://bestbiztips.com/quickmedquote/web-conference/',
'http://wc.iboomerang.com/skin-iboomerang/join.jsp?p=7711106', $string);
}
?>

Doing this, I get the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/a/b/x/abxnetwork/html/quickmedquote/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/functions.php on line 1059

The website I am working on is for a client: http://www.bestbiztips.com/quickmedquote. I want the Web Conference page to go to an outside URL.

I am not conversant in PHP, so this is pretty Greek to me.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much!

KIP
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:45 AM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.8.5 WP 3.8.x Atahualpa 3.7.x Safari 6.x Firefox 25 XP
What version of Atahualpa and WP?

check your code and make sure there are no invisible characters in it. When I copied the code from the other post, it shows several non-printable characteres which will cause errors when being parsed by php.
If you like my help, please consider donating. I am happy to provide greater detail on this and other topics if you hire me. Please send detailed support requests to me as a private message, thank you.
Juggledad | Forum Moderator/Support

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:49 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
LOL! That would help!

The latest of both: WP 2.8.5 and Atahualpa 3.4.1

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:54 AM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
Atahualpa is at 3.4.4 - see http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=81
If you like my help, please consider donating. I am happy to provide greater detail on this and other topics if you hire me. Please send detailed support requests to me as a private message, thank you.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:37 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Juggledad -

Okay, I upgraded and inserted the suggested code as I previously described.

Now I am getting this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/content/a/b/x/abxnetwork/html/quickmedquote/wp-content/themes/atahualpa344/functions.php on line 657

I have left the site with the error showing.

So I am still doing something wrong!

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:50 AM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
please send me a copy of your functions.php I can't reproduce this adding your code in. Must be something else.

If you can't figure out how to send a copy, you can create me an id (send it in a PM) so I can look at your backend (Dashboard->Apearances->Editor) to look at the code.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:28 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Juggledad -

Thanks bunches!!! Here is the functions.php file as a ZIP file.

I am switching back to the original version on the website so I can continue working on the site.

KIP
Attached Files
File Type: zip functions.zip (6.7 KB, 434 views)
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:22 PM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
yup, non printable characters, a bunch of them!
delete the code and then type it in including all the spaces and try it again.

In case you are interested, I'm on a mac and there is a program called TextWrangler. One of it's features is you can 'view invisables' and it shows spaces, tabs, returns and any other non printable character.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 08:59 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Okay, I know what caused this.

I created an html file for my notes on how to do this. I copied from the Design view of Dreamweaver instead of the Code view. So the Design view added all of the garbage.

YAY! It worked! Thanks so much!

Now, I realize there is one tweak not included in the original code. How would I code this PHP to open the link in a new window?

Thanks!

KIP

Last edited by kippiper; Oct 28, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:15 AM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
you could try using
return str_replace('http://bestbiztips.com/quickmedquote/web-conference/',
'http://wc.iboomerang.com/skin-iboomerang/join.jsp?p=7711106 target="_blank"', $string);
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:11 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Juggledad -

Well, I thought about that and wasn't sure how to code it inside the PHP code.

So I tried your suggestions with double quotes, single quotes, and no quotes - and none worked.....

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

KIP
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:58 PM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
hmmm, not off hand. that was a sot in the dark. I'd have to try this and take a look in the code to figure out what to do. Maybe when things calm down...and I get the yard raked...and the computer at church fixed and....
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:26 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
LOL! I hear that! Thanks so much for your time and all of the hand-holding...

KIP
Old Oct 30, 2009, 08:22 AM
Flynn

3,754 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
If you put that code at the bottom of functions.php after the last closing ?> then use the code as is.

?>
}
?>

If you put that code before the last closing ?> then don't use the opening <?php and closing ?> PHP tags of that code snippet:

}
?>
?>
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:24 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Guys!

I have a new issue with this old situation.

There is a new site I am working on:

http://www.bestbiztips.com/biggamestudio

The homepage is straight HTML because the client wants this type of opening page and then link into the blog site.

When you enter the blog site, I want the HOME link to go back to the straight HTML home page. However, when I use the functions.php coding suggested here in this thread, the redirect is not working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks bunches in advance!

KIP
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:53 PM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
Why don't you make a splash page and use it as the home page
There are directions in the gold forum tutorials
Old Aug 7, 2010, 03:06 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
I can do that within the Atahualpa theme? Cool! I didn't realize that! I'll go check it out! Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Juggledad -

Well, the concept for a splash page is good but not working with this particular site. I have 2 issues:

1. I am using an image map menu with the main graphic, and the image map does not work.
2. I am using Cincopa photo slide show, and it won't center.

You can see this at http://www.bestbiztips.com/biggamestudio/site/

So back to my original question: When you enter the blog site, I want the HOME link to go back to the straight HTML home page. However, when I use the functions.php coding suggested here in this thread, the redirect is not working.

Thanks!

KIP
Old Aug 14, 2010, 05:54 AM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
try this, code a home.php and just put your page's html in it...
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:31 AM
Whatsthatcat?

25 posts · Mar 2009
Hi All,

I wanted to reply to this thread:
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3513

But it was closed, so I found this one. I am also adding a link in the page menu, and added the code flynn suggested at the end of functions.php. I am, however, getting these errors:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-login.php on line 337

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-login.php on line 349

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 690

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 691

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 692

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

Whenever I do anything. Using newest atahualpa, 353, and WP 301
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:07 PM
juggledad

21,944 posts · Mar 2009
check to see if the first or last line of the file is a blank. if so delete it
Old Sep 5, 2010, 08:17 PM
Whatsthatcat?

25 posts · Mar 2009
No Dice! I checked again, added the code and saved, and went back to the site and edited for a little while but then got this:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:796) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

THEN I took out the offending bit of code, made sure no spaces were there, and re-saved. Now when I attempt to log in I get this:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-login.php on line 337

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-login.php on line 349

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 690

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 691

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 692

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-content/themes/atahualpa353/functions.php:1) in /var/www/html/im/imandyhaynes.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 890

Please help! Attaching file with the replace menu link code in.
Attached Files
File Type: zip functions.php.zip (8.3 KB, 321 views)
Old Sep 5, 2010, 08:20 PM
Whatsthatcat?

25 posts · Mar 2009
Also, a maybe helpful update:

Whenever I copy over the functions PHP from my backup unedited atahualpa theme files all the errors go away, so something is going on. I just don't know what, because I checked the encoding and everything. I am editing in TextWrangler on a mac, btw.