Version 126.96.36.199 of Atahualpa introduced the 'New Widget Areas'. However, there was a bug in the code that only allowed one new widget area to be created. And, you couldn't delete the widget areas. This bug persisted until release 3.4.3
With 3.4.3 you could now create use the new widget areas, but any 'new widget area' created prior to 3.4.3 was still in the database. The following program will correct this issue by deleting one row from the wp_options table.
1) BACKUP YOUR DATABASE
2) download the attached file and unzip it. It will contain:
a folder named 'bfa_widgetfix'
a file inside called 'bfa_widgetfix.php'
3) copy the file to the 'wp-content' folder on your server
4) run the program by typing in the browser address bar:
NOTE: depending on how you insealled wordpress, you may not need the 'wordpress' portion of the address
You will see 'BFA_WidgetFix: processing complete' indicating it is finished.
5) view your site and REFERESH THE SCREEN TWICE.
this will recreate the row containing the 'new widget area' information without the artifacts from the pre 3.4.3 'new widget areas'
6) delete the program 'bfa_widgetfix.php' from the wp-contents folder on
7) (optional) press the donate button on the bottom of the screen to reward me for coming up with this fix