Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

[SOLVED] custom order of cats and tags

Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:11 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
[SOLVED] custom order of cats and tags

Here's an idea. I'm not sure it's even possible:

I would like to order my postinfo categories and tags in a certain order. By default it's alphabetically, but it is possible to make it custom? My vision is a field in the Atahualpa post options when I am editing/writing the post, where I can enter cats and tags in the order (by ID) I want to display them, e.g. 'Enter categories to display: 312,567,886,...' It's just about structuring my cats and tags so it's easier for my readers to find related cats and tags. Or is this already possible today, via php?
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:24 PM
wmoura

7 posts · Jun 2009
jankph,

I don't know how to order the tags, but for the categories I've been using "My Category Order" plugin with Atahualpa 3.4.2 and WordPress 2.8.1 and it works very well.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:06 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoura
jankph,

I don't know how to order the tags, but for the categories I've been using "My Category Order" plugin with Atahualpa 3.4.2 and WordPress 2.8.1 and it works very well.
Doesn't that only work for the category bar? That's not an issue. It's the postinfo I want to order.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Technically possible yes, but that a bit very specific I'm afraid. I wouldn't mind adding it to post info items once the todo list is shorter however I wouldn't want to make the Write Panel too crowded since many users probably wouldn't use this.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:12 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Technically possible yes, but that a bit very specific I'm afraid. I wouldn't mind adding it to post info items once the todo list is shorter however I wouldn't want to make the Write Panel too crowded since many users probably wouldn't use this.
The reason for asking is that my blog posts are very often about published research papers. I use categories for the main topic(s) of the paper and tags for the name of the authors and more specific keywords within the paper. Here it makes sense to list the name of the authors first and then the keywords. It just looks more clean and structured. With an alphabetical listing like now that is not possible.

I do agree that it will crowd the Write Panel and maybe be too much of an overhead for something most people have simply accepted as that's the way blogs are.

Anyway, thanks for taking note.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 04:58 PM
lizenkohlhaas

1 posts · Jul 2009
i got the solution for "custom-order-tags":

1.) in db > wp_term_realtionship > term_order change to primarykey and autoincrement and standard nothing. (delete the 0) to do this, because of primary / no double numbers, you have first to delete complete or to fill "term_order" with a incremetal number. (export .csv > exel > import .csv)

2.) lock in taxonomy.php for the "function wp_get_object_terms.. " an there for string
$defaults = array('orderby' => 'name', 'order' => 'ASC', 'fields' => 'all');

an now, you can change the 'orderby' from 'name' to 'term_order' so you got

$defaults = array('orderby' => 'term_order', 'order' => 'ASC', 'fields' => 'all');

thats all! it tooks me 2 hours to find out. I hope everybody with thes problem will find safe the hours.

custom-order meens, in the order you put the tags while editing the post. if you want change after, you have to delete and re-put them.

greatings from switzerland
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:43 AM
harrison72

1 posts · Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizenkohlhaas
i got the solution for "custom-order-tags":

1.) in db > wp_term_realtionship > term_order change to primarykey and autoincrement and standard nothing. (delete the 0) to do this, because of primary / no double numbers, you have first to delete complete or to fill "term_order" with a incremetal number. (export .csv > exel > import .csv)

2.) lock in taxonomy.php for the "function wp_get_object_terms.. " an there for string
$defaults = array('orderby' => 'name', 'order' => 'ASC', 'fields' => 'all');

an now, you can change the 'orderby' from 'name' to 'term_order' so you got

$defaults = array('orderby' => 'term_order', 'order' => 'ASC', 'fields' => 'all');

thats all! it tooks me 2 hours to find out. I hope everybody with thes problem will find safe the hours.

custom-order meens, in the order you put the tags while editing the post. if you want change after, you have to delete and re-put them.

greatings from switzerland
Wow lizenkohlhaas! That is amazing work! Thanks for figuring that out. I have been wanting such a solution for my cats and tags for a while, but what you came up with is way beyond my skill level. Much appreciated.

Last edited by harrison72; Jan 19, 2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:24 AM
Hody

156 posts · Apr 2012
Is there also a way to order the categories, on how they appear in the menu?