Well ... I think the issue was or is related to WP Super-Cache. It never was working correctly and continued to give erroneous information. So, I had decided to delete the plugin. When I deleted it I was prompted to delete several files. Because all the files were in the WP Super Cache directory, I said yes and I believe I deleted the cache as well. One thing that led me to looking at this plugin as a cause of my problem was because this plugin continued to register that Safe Mode was On; when in fact I had turned it off. It was shortly after that when the errors occurred. However, I had also attempted to add a function and thought errors were somehow related to some error in my function ... which, turned out not to be the case.
All that said, I tried a couple of other options to address these errors. I deactivated and/or deleted a number of plugins I had recently activated, to see if any of them were causing the problem. I also tried to change themes; and was able to switch to a few other themes without any problem. However, when I came back to Atahualpa 3.3.3 I would get the same errors. Then, I changed the theme to an earlier 3.? version of this theme. Whoops ... that was a mistake. After that slight blunder, I was unable to switch themes at all. Every time I would try to preview another theme, I was taken to my home page. So, having had theme issues in the past, I knew that deleting the entire theme from my server would give me back WP functionality. So, I deleted the earlier version and was able to change theme again. However, I still got the same errors on 3.3.3 ... so, I decided to delete the 3.3.3 theme entirely and start with a fresh install. Then, the next step was to upload it again. After uploading it again, I was able to reactivate it and it worked fine. However, I decided to try uploading and reactivating the WP-Super Cache plugin. This only created problems again. Any changes I would make to the theme would not get posted. So, I deactivated WP Super Cache and then the ability to make changes to the theme, returned.
The culprit seems to be WP Super Cache.