Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Newbie questions-Picture in Sidebar, email obfuscators, best way to keep News updated

Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:45 AM
bignose2

1 posts · Dec 2011
Newbie questions-Picture in Sidebar, email obfuscators, best way to keep News updated

Hi, sorry to ask so many questions & perhaps little premature but I have search pretty hard but getting little frustrated.
I do appreciate the Atahualpa is very impressive.

I am sure the answers are out there but hoped someone might point me in the right direction.

So far only changed colours, layouts & banner images etc so not need any real knowledge of code.
Trying to have it more like a normal www & not a blog.

1st
Would like to add linked email without risk of spam so trying some of the obfuscator's
Installed plug in OK & activated.
Tried a few different plug-ins but using this my example.
Not really got a handle on programming this so sorry if being really stupid.

I am obvioulsy missing something basic
I thought I would just add in the body of the normal page field, viewing html

<?php echo eae_encode_str('foobar@example.com'); ?>

But it does not show up, should it have something to says it is code or be in a certain location.
I have other normal text before it.

Prefer not to use a contact page, in the past used images but prefer to allow click to link,

2nd
I can't seem to find a way to add an image to the right sidebar that changes & is specific to that page
ie. not random or the same throughout the whole www.
At the moment I removed the right bar & added a feature image, placed on the right but don't think it looks as professional.

3rd
This might be very obvious.
I would like to have a News text box in the left sidebar.
What it the best way to set this up so I (& only me) can quickly & simply add news & other info
Do I have to log in to wp-admin and go through the dashboard, whilst not hard assume there is a better way.
Is it use some kind of comment box that only I can access.

Again sorry for asking stuff that I should be able to find.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 07:44 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1-
Quote:
I thought I would just add in the body of the normal page field, viewing html

<?php echo eae_encode_str('foobar@example.com'); ?>

But it does not show up, should it have something to says it is code or be in a certain location.
I have other normal text before it.
to have PHP in a post, you need a plugin like 'exec-php' to run it - not a theme issue

2-
Quote:
2nd
I can't seem to find a way to add an image to the right sidebar that changes & is specific to that page
ie. not random or the same throughout the whole www.
At the moment I removed the right bar & added a feature image, placed on the right but don't think it looks as professional.
again this is not a theme issue - If you want a n image per page, there are severale ways to do it, you could use the 'widget-logic' plugin or you could code some php logic to display the image based on the page or there might be some plugin that would do this for you - do a google search

3 -
Quote:
3rd
This might be very obvious.
I would like to have a News text box in the left sidebar.
What it the best way to set this up so I (& only me) can quickly & simply add news & other info
Do I have to log in to wp-admin and go through the dashboard, whilst not hard assume there is a better way.
Is it use some kind of comment box that only I can access.
again this is not a theme issue. - what do you define as 'quickly and & simply'? once again you should look for some plugin that might help you do this.

The best way to determine if this is a theme or 'wordPress' issue is to ask yourself "If I switched to Twenty-Eleven, would I be asking the same question?' if the answer is yes, then it is probably NOT an theme issue.