Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
Click Here To DONATE! Support the theme development, get more attention and additional benefits based on your donation level. Your forum name will be highlighted.

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] How to configure Facebook thumbnails

Build custom WP THEMES, without
coding.
Click here for THEMEFRAME

From the author of Atahualpa, the #1 most
downloaded (700,000+) theme @ wordpress.org
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:23 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
[SOLVED] How to configure Facebook thumbnails

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to configure a specific thumbnail for each post so that if/when shared on Facebook, that specified thumbnail will appear as the accompanying image.

I found an older post in BFA that address this issue...is it still valid? I am not quite expert with coding and before I go into my functions I'd just like to be sure it isn't obsolete already.
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...book+thumbnail

I currently have installed the "Add image_src Meta Tag" plugin, but despite following its instructions (to the best of my ability) I can't get the desired result. I have also tried the "Like-Button-Plugin-For-Wordpress" but it pulls up the wrong image when the post is "Liked", despite its setting to specify an image for each post.

Is there a way to engineer this through Atahualpa without a plug-in? Or at least a way to define a thumbnail for each post that a plugin could latch onto?

My url is http://www.midriffrecords.com

Thanks!

Tony
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:30 AM
lmilesw

10,111 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There are a couple of plugins that I know of. The one I have used is Facebook Like Thumbnail. The one I have not tried is Add Facebook Share Thumbnail + Meta.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:44 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Thanks. I have installed them both, but I am seeing no results as yet. But from what I am reading it takes a while for the caches to rebuild, which is comforting to know. I will report back.

But there isn't any way within Atahualpa to specify this type of thing? Seems like specifying a thumbnail for a post should be built into the dashboard, no?
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
lmilesw

10,111 posts · Jul 2009
That is a WordPress thing. You can set a "Featured Image" for you posts.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:41 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
Hmmm. I tried that, but it simply inserted an image into the post, and didn't indicate it was anything special. Granted, I didn't test it out, as it didn't look like anything special had happened.

But is that all I need to do, set up a featured image and use that image? I may have to smack my forehead multiple times if that is the case...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:55 AM
lmilesw

10,111 posts · Jul 2009
When you are adding an image via the image icon dialog there is a Use as Featured Image link. If you use the Featured Image function on the right column of your editor screen that is the only choice you have.