Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [SOLVED] Site Not Loading correctly (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12157)

petercliff1 Jan 11, 2011 02:30 AM

[SOLVED] Site Not Loading correctly

Sudddenly my site is not loading correctly. Part of the header display is appearing in the left sidebar obliterating the Chitika ads. I have tried reloading the Chitika ad HTML but it makes no difference.

Occasionally it does still load correctly, but then disapears again. The same thing on different browsers. Please advise. I am using V3.6.

juggledad Jan 11, 2011 03:05 AM

what is the url?
did it stop working when you went to 3.6?
please try Atahualpa 3.6.1

petercliff1 Jan 12, 2011 12:31 AM

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. http://www.petercliffordonline.com Yes, this happened after I loaded 3.6 However, I loaded 3.6.1 this morning and it has not made any difference to this problem. Any advice appreciated. Many thanks,

juggledad Jan 12, 2011 04:40 AM

We are looking at a possible cause - if you are able, can you tell me if your site has suhosin installed as part of php? if you don't know what this means don't worry just hold tight and or move back to 353 for the moment.

petercliff1 Jan 12, 2011 07:54 AM

Hi, thanks for looking. I have been into my CPanel and a search reveals no sign of suhosin. My hosting service is Coolhandle and I know they run their servers with Apache if that helps? Let me know if you make further progress.

Also, it may be my imagination, but the Header itself between the page tabs and the theme picture looks much tighter and more cramped with less spacing than it had? The theme picture also looks wider? As I don't have a previous screen shot I cannot be sure. I have not adjusted any parameters on this as far as I know.

Lastly, how can I increase the size of the body text? Many thanks. Peter.

juggledad Jan 12, 2011 08:51 AM

what version are you now using?

petercliff1 Jan 13, 2011 02:13 PM

3.6.1 Have stuck with it as the rest of of the page seems okay and it comes and goes anyway. Peter.

juggledad Jan 13, 2011 02:21 PM

looks like something to do with facebook is causing the extra "> on the page, you should disable all your plugins and see it that goes away.

petercliff1 Jan 15, 2011 07:06 AM

> is not the problem, that is caused by the Google verified tag and I have removed it.

The problem is still the reproduction of part of the Header in the left sidebar..Deactivating Widgets does not solve this. Please help.:(

petercliff1 Jan 19, 2011 08:56 AM

Is that it then? No further help? Please advise.

juggledad Jan 19, 2011 10:27 AM

attach an export of your settings

petercliff1 Jan 19, 2011 02:34 PM

Thanks. Can you advise me how to do that? Would appreciate it.

juggledad Jan 19, 2011 03:05 PM

go to ato->export/import settings export your settings and attach it to a reply using the paper clip icon

petercliff1 Jan 20, 2011 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As requested, settings attached.

I am also having a problem with getting a comments box on the blog home page despite ticking the allow box. Appears on posts when they are archieved but not when they are current. Can you help? Many thanks.

juggledad Jan 20, 2011 05:40 AM

did you do the export under 3.6.1 or 3.5.3
I see no issue on my site with your settings or your site - now I also don't have the same widgets you have and since your site is at 3.5.3, everything seems to be working.

petercliff1 Jan 20, 2011 08:44 AM

My Atuhualpa is 3.6.1 (that's what it says) and I exported from that.

juggledad Jan 20, 2011 09:12 AM

where is the error? I don't see anything wrong in FireFox or Safari

petercliff1 Jan 21, 2011 03:37 AM

That's maddening thing, sometimes it disappears, but it is there most of the time. I have just checke in Chrome, Firefox and IE and the error shows. Any further suggestions Please? I tried turning off all the plugins and it made no difference.

juggledad Jan 21, 2011 04:39 AM

take a screen shot so I can see what you are talking about. IE8 looks fine to me

petercliff1 Jan 21, 2011 07:10 AM

Hi, JD, I have tried to upload a screenshot but the file is too big. Please go to http://www.petercliffordonline and scroll down - Part of header appears in the left side bar (opposite the Amazon .UK add) - it is even clickable! And blots out the ads that should be there. Let me know what you think. Many thanks. Sorry to be a pain, but I don't know how to solve this. Peter.

juggledad Jan 21, 2011 07:56 AM

Not sure if this is part of the issue, but your second text widget in the left sidebar has some messed up HTML. You have a < /span > with out a previous < span >, you have a < /a > in the middle of a < strong >...< /strong > pair.

it looks like you have < p > where you want < /p >'s, spans and the close spans reversed etc.

copy the contents of this text widget to a document, then delete it from the widget and save and see it that dlears up the porblem.

if it does, fix your html

petercliff1 Jan 22, 2011 12:56 AM

JD Thank You, Thank You. Now sorted. It was not in fact the muddled HTML in the second box ( though I have reordered that, I am a novice, but learning) but a line of code in the Chitika ad that was redirecting to "alternate ad" (i.e. my website) when it had nothing relevant to advertise - hence why it showed sometimes and not others. But you finally pointed me in the right direction.

Sorry it took so long, but your help and persistence much appreciated. Have left a small donation, as funds limited but help valued none the less. Best wishes, Peter.