Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [SOLVED] Where did my right sidebar go (and why does my site load so slow)? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=14126)

RHCdG May 11, 2011 07:01 PM

[SOLVED] Where did my right sidebar go (and why does my site load so slow)?

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but if anyone would care to take a look at http://www.cornetsdegroot.com/ I would appreciate. I have disabled the last couple of plugins I recently installed but this does not change things; my right sidebar, which contains a search box, recent post and recent comments widgets is gone, and I don't know where.

Also, I find that the site loads quite slow, i.e. over 10 seconds before a page or a post is fully displayed. Is there a way to find out what is causing this?

Any help is much appreciated you guys!

Rutger

lmilesw May 11, 2011 07:07 PM

Have you tried deactivating all the plugins to see if comes back?
What are the setting for the sidebar in ATO>Style & configure Sidebars?
What else have you recently done?

RHCdG May 11, 2011 07:31 PM

Hi Miles,

Thanks for your wise suggestions!
I disabled all plugins and did find what was causing the slow load time (the Nice Navigation plugin) but the right sidebar still is missing! It should be displayed on all pages according to the settings, and the width is 250 pixels, similar to the left sidebar.

I don't think I have done anything out of the ordinary lately, except post a bunch of new pages.

I am already very happy about the speedy load time; do you know of any other tricks?

Thanks!

juggledad May 11, 2011 08:18 PM

check your posts. This is normally caused by having copied a word doc into a post and the word styling causes an error and nothing after the post is displayed. If you look at the source you will see it ends after the post, no sidebar, no footer etc

so make the last three posts drafts then publish them one after another and see which is the culprit.

If that doesn't fix it, did you make any changes to 'the LOOP'? or any of the code in the center area?

RHCdG May 12, 2011 06:47 AM

Hi, Juggledad,

I think you're on to something here. The sidebar does return when I move certain pages to the trash but it seems impossible to narrow it down to the page that is the culprit because after recovering the pages from the trash one by one the sidebar remains gone. Then when moving other pages to the trash it returns again, but again, its behavior is not consistent.

I am in the process of moving 1000+ html pages from an old static site to this Wordpress installation, and I am using the Word utility to save time as it preserves all kinds of formatting. Are there any special issues I should be mindful of? And, do you have a suggestion as to how I can find the cause of this behavior?

Many thanks,

Rutger

juggledad May 12, 2011 07:34 AM

Please explain the process that you are using to copy these old html pages.

RHCdG May 12, 2011 09:57 AM

Hi Juggledad,

Here is how it goes. I copy the text from the browser and paste it into Word. Then I copy the text from Word and paste it into the Word utility in the wysiwyg editor in Wordpress. Finally, I upload and insert any images that the editor does not copy from Word.

Thanks,

Rutger

juggledad May 12, 2011 12:13 PM

please use the html editor on one of the posts and copy the post text and paste it in to a reply (use the HTML icon) so i can try it on my site,

RHCdG May 12, 2011 04:22 PM

Hi Juggledad,

Not sure what this is going to do but this is the html editor's output of a new "saved as concept" page as derived from a Word copy of an html page.

Thanks!

Rutger

HTML Code:

Bron

R.A. Cornets de Groot, ‘Vestdijk op de weegschaal’. A.W. Sijthoff, Leiden 1972, p. 1-100

Algemene opmerkingen

Dit bestand biedt, behoudens een aantal hierna te noemen ingrepen, een diplomatische weergave van Vestdijk op de weegschaal van R.A. Cornets de Groot uit 1972.

Redactionele ingrepen

Het bij de schooleditie bijgevoegde Werkboekje is beschikbaar in een apart bestand; daarnaast zijn de vragen opgenomen aan het eind van elk respectievelijk hoofdstuk. Ter onderscheiding van de lopende tekst zijn de vragen voorzien van een groene achtergrondkleur.

Een aantal delen van de tekst is in deze publicatie niet overgenomen. Hieronder volgen de tekstgedeelten die wel in het origineel voorkomen maar hier uit de lopende tekst zijn weggelaten. Ook de blanco pagina's (6, 8) zijn niet opgenomen in de lopende tekst.

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 1)]

Vestdijk op de weegschaal

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 2)]

Literaire verkenningen onder redactie van Martien J.G. de Jong

Vierde tijdvak

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 3)]
R.A. CORNETS DE GROOT
Vestdijk op de weegschaal
A.W. Sijthoff/Leiden

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 4)]

ISBN 90 218 8012 1 schooleditie
ISBN 90 218 2052 8 handelseditie

© A.W. Sijthoff's Uitgeversmaatschappij N.V. 1972

Niets uit deze uitgave mag worden verveelvoudigd en/of openbaar gemaakt door middel van druk, fotokopie, microfilm of op welke andere wijze ook, zonder voorafgaande schriftelijke toestemming van de uitgever.

No part of this book may be reproduced in any form, by print, photoprint, microfilm or any other means without written permission from the publisher.

Gedrukt in Nederland

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 5)]

Verantwoording      7

INLEIDINGEN EN TEKSTEN

Tussen stoommachine en computer      10
"Het veer" (Uit: De dood betrapt, 1935)      13

Persoonlijkheid als maat der dingen      25
"Over het lied van de dwaze bijen", (Uit: De glanzende kiemcel, 1950)      29
Fragment uit "Tussen ik en menigte" (Uit: Muiterij tegen het etmaal, 2, 1966)      31

Het aansprakelijk individualisme      33
"Historische contingentie" (Uit: Essays in duodecimo, 1952)      39

Verweys idee en Vestdijks poëzie      44
Sonnetten CXIX CXX CXXI CXXII CXXIII (Uit: "Madonna met de valken", opgenomen in Gestelsche liederen, 1949)      48

Een kwestie van accenten      51
"Hercules" (Eerste hoofdstuk uit: De dokter en het lichte meisje, 1951)      53

De mythe in actie      57
"De sprong van de rotspunt" (Hoofdstuk uit: De dokter en het lichte meisje)      59
"Het rijk van het midden" (Hoofdstuk uit dezelfde roman)      63
Fragment uit "Ik verdedig het midden en mijn eer" (Hoofdstuk uit dezelfde roman)      71
Fragment uit "Een bezoek" (Hoofdstuk uit dezelfde roman)      79

Vestdijk op de weegschaal      83

BlO-BIBLIOGRAFISCHE AFDELING

Beknopte biografische gegevens      88
Synthetisch overzicht      91
Voornaamste werken en literatuur      97

Lijst van illustraties      100

[ongenummerde pagina (p. 100)]
Lijst van illustraties
Eigenhandig door Vestdijk getekende horoscoop      9
Portret van Vestdijk door Paul Citroen (tekening in Siberisch krijt,
Letterkundig Museum te 's-Gravenhage)      47
De Hercules Farnese te Napels      54
Vestdijk voor de piano      85
Handschrift van Vestdijk      98

juggledad May 12, 2011 04:35 PM

that works fine for me. would you be willing to send me a PM with an admin id/pw so I could poke about?

RHCdG May 12, 2011 05:35 PM

Hi Juggledad,

I just sent you the login information, I appreciate your help.
I also just found that it's not possible to post comments at this time; surely this is a related issue?

Thanks,

Rutger

juggledad May 12, 2011 06:18 PM

Very odd indeed. What happens if you switch to the twenty-ten theme?
You should also look at the host's error logs to see if any message is coming out.

I noticed this is a multi site, are any of the other parts having any issues?

RHCdG May 12, 2011 06:33 PM

No issues on the other site http://www.cornetsdegroot.com/rhcdg

With the twenty-ten theme the comments box is back; do you think this means it is in fact an Atahualpa issue? There is also a right sidebar but it differs from what I had, and there is no left sidebar. I will leave the twenty-ten theme on for tonight.

Thanks for your help so far!

Rutger

RHCdG May 13, 2011 08:44 AM

Hi Juggledad,

Can I just ask if you are pursuing a solution for this issue? If not, then what would you do in my place?

Thanks!

Rutger

juggledad May 13, 2011 09:02 AM

I think this has to do with multi sites and I haven't got a setup currently for that environment, so it is going to take some time for me to look at this (today I am on 'grandpa' duty and I have a couple paying projects I'm working on)

RHCdG May 13, 2011 01:42 PM

Hi Juggledad,

Of course. I completely understand, and I appreciate the time you've already invested.

Kindly,

Rutger

juggledad Jun 10, 2011 06:24 AM

I played with this a bit this morning nd can't reproduce this.

Have you looked at the error log on the host to see if there is an error message showing up?

RHCdG Jun 10, 2011 07:11 AM

Hi Juggledad,

I just tried disabling all plugins, and re-enabling them again, and the functionality is back... The unfortunate thing is that I did not note which plugin is responsible for it. Bad practice, but I'm happy the problem is solved. At least it has nothing to do with the Atahualpa theme. Many thanks for your efforts!

Kindly,

Rutger