Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Troubleshooting problem with submenus (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=23149)

bda Apr 13, 2015 07:13 PM

Troubleshooting problem with submenus

First thank you folks for providing the best source of troubleshooting information. I've fixed pretty much every problem I had with the site I'm working on - except this one pertaining to the menus.

I have the color of the current top-level page set to maroon with white text.
I have the color of the parent of the current submenu page set to the same thing.
I have the submenus set to white with maroon text.

All the styling was done in the custom CSS plugin.

It all works except for one menu item "The Art Gallery". Visit http://www.stjathenaeum.org/WordPress and open any menu with the triangle. They all work except for the Art Gallery.

I've checked that the parent page is set correctly. I took those pages out of the menu and put them back into the menu. I even recreated the page for The Domes of the Yosemite.

Any assistance will be gratefully accepted. Please note that some of the content on the pages looks funky as the site is still in development.

juggledad Apr 14, 2015 03:25 AM

1) you are using '!important' in several places and that overrides other css
2) why not put the CSS in teh themes 'CSS Inserts' option? If you had I could just ask you to export the theme settings and I could try to recreate it and as a bonus, you could get rid of a plugin
3) I see no difference in any of the menu's but I think I know what you are attempting. For instance
if you select the submenu 'Renew/Reserve/ILL', you would like it and it's parent 'The Library' to have a maroon background with white text and have 'The Archives' and 'Library Resourses' to have a white background and maroon text.

Is that correct?

bda Apr 14, 2015 04:40 AM

Your description of what I'm trying to do is correct.

I've moved all my CSS to the theme's CSS Inserts. Makes sense.

I have the settings file, but when I try to upload it, I get an error message that my quota has been exceeded. When I click "click here to view your attachments" link I see no way to delete some of the previous attachments. What am I missing?

bda Apr 14, 2015 04:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured out how to delete the post to the forum with the big attachment.

Export settings file should now be attached.

juggledad Apr 14, 2015 01:48 PM

Try the following - replace your menu code in the CSS Inserts with the following
HTML Code:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a:active {
    background: #FFFFFF;
    color: #774041;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current-menu-ancestor a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current-menu-ancestor a:active,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current-menu-ancestor a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current-menu-ancestor a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current-menu-ancestor {
    background: #774041;
    color: #FFFFFF;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li a:active,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li {
    background: #FFFFFF;
    color: #774041;
}

div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li.current_page_item a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li.current_page_item a:active,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li.current_page_item a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li.current_page_item a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li ul.sub-menu li.current_page_item {
    background: #774041;
    color: #FFFFFF;
}

because CSS cascades, you have to turn things on and off in the right order

bda Apr 14, 2015 03:01 PM

I added the code to CSS Inserts and now nothing changes - every menu is white background with maroon text - main menu, submenu, parent page when on a submenu page, etc. Also I had maroon inverted triangles to indicate that there was a submenu and now they are gone. I did this by replacing the image default image file as per a post on the forum.

What next?

juggledad Apr 14, 2015 03:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
when I look at your site, it is working fine for me, try clearing your browser cache

what version of Atahualpa?

bda Apr 14, 2015 06:29 PM

I have cleared my cache.
I'm using ATA 3.7.12 - I see that there is an update available.

I see the same thing as in the screen shot when I'm on a submenu page. What doesn't happen is that if I go to Events (a top level page) it doesn't change to maroon background w/ white letters.

Also, I can't figure out what happened to the arrows that I had to indicate a submenu. I changed expand-down.gif in the Images folder. Earlier today, before this last round of CSS they were there. Any idea how to get the custom submenu indicator back? When I look in the images folder, the date on the expand-down.gif file is Sunday, the day I created it.

juggledad Apr 14, 2015 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3.7.12!! I'm using 3.7.23...time for you to upgrade. You will probably get some undefined index errors so use this export.

bda Apr 14, 2015 08:36 PM

I've upgraded. Didn't see your attachment as I just read the email notification - will pay better attention next time. Header and menu disappeared, but I got them back.

I use Soliloquy Slider for slideshows and that doesn't work after the upgrade.

Just want to make sure that I understand your previous reply - I should import the settings file that was attached?

Still no submenu indicator arrows.

juggledad Apr 15, 2015 03:26 AM

add the following to the end of the CSS Inserts
HTML Code:

div#menu1 ul.rMenu-hor li.rMenu-expand a {
    background-image: url("http://www.stjathenaeum.org/WordPress/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/expand-down.gif");
    background-position: 100% 50%;
    padding-left: 5px;
    padding-right: 15px !important;
}

though, I would put your image in the wp-content/ata-images folder and change the url so it will not get lost on the next update.

bda Apr 15, 2015 04:47 AM

I imported the settings but had to Save CSS Inserts again.

I moved the expand-down.gif to ata-images.

I had to add background-repeat:no-repeat!important; to the CSS you sent to get one arrow. Initially, the entire menu item had rows of arrows across it.

My Soliloquy slider is now almost working. I've sent a support email to them - my problem apparently has to do with jQuery instances (not sure of the term as I'm completely in the dark about jQuery). The slider has a panel at the bottom with the caption of the photo and that's not showing.

I'm almost there, and have learned a lot. I'll always export my settings before updating the theme. I'll put images in ata-images - good lessons to learn.