Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   wp-admin screen blank after login (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=4788)

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 08:00 AM

wp-admin screen blank after login

I know there is another thread with a similar problem, but I think that they are different based on what worked for them and not for me, so I've started a new thread. I'm using wp 2.86 and ata 3.4.4. When I login it takes me to a blank wp-admin page. I can get past it by going to /wp-admin/post.php or edit.php or pretty much any other admin page from the white page, but naturally I'd like to get it sorted in case its a symptom of another problem, and also to make usage easier for other users. It's not a browser issue, i'm pretty sure, since I've tried a couple and it does the same thing, and i've got plenty of php memory (64). Here's the site. Any advice?

Many thanks
JC

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 09:09 AM

if you can get into the back end, check the settings at dashboard->settings->general and look at the 'WordPress address (URL)' and the 'Blog address (URL)' options - make sure they are correct

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 10:20 AM

should they be anything other than http://threeguysonebook.com ?

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 11:15 AM

does you dns point to the folder wordpress is installed in? if so, then yes they should be the same

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 11:52 AM

yes, so that's not the issue.

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 12:08 PM

well since using .../wp-admin/index.php brings you right to the logon but using ../wp-admin hangs, I'd suspect that this has something to do with htaccess

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 12:14 PM

ok. I haven't edited it for any reason. Any thoughts?

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 12:38 PM

to see if wp-admin/index.php is actually running, edit it and on line 2 put in
HTML Code:

echo '<strong>debug: in index.php.</strong>';
and see what shows up. this will tell you if this module runs.

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 01:13 PM

I've put that in...how do I know if the module is running? Everything is the same, as far as I can tell.

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 01:15 PM

I have this message:

debug: in index.php.
Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/jasonch2/public_html/threeguysonebook.com/wp-admin/index.php:2) in /home/jasonch2/public_html/threeguysonebook.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-automatic-upgrade/wordpress-automatic-upgrade.php on line 121

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 03:57 PM

Hmm teh header already sent message usually means there are some non blank characters in one of our modules at the end.

If this was me, I would down load a new copy of Wordpress to my computer, and delete teh wp-content forler from it. Then I would connect to the server via FTP and delete everything but the wp-config.php and the wp-content directory. Next, I'd FTP up the new copy of wordpress and see what that does.

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 04:01 PM

Thanks JD. Let me get this straight, so I don't screw it up:
from the new WP, delete the wp-content folder
from the old server version delete everything except wp-config and wp-content
upload the new one.
Is that it? I'll try it tonight. I'll assume I should backup everything first, of course.

juggledad Dec 9, 2009 04:08 PM

you've got it. The only things on the site you need to keep is the wp-config.php because you have that customized for yout database (name, userid, password) and there isn't one shipped with wordpress, just a wp-config-sample.php and the wp-content folder because that has your plugins, themes, uploads. Both of these are things you want to back up along with your database - but this won't effect your database at all - you just should back it up on a perodic basis.

jasonchamb Dec 9, 2009 04:20 PM

OK, thanks. I'll try it tonight or early tomorrow when traffic should be down, just in case. I do backup weekly, so I'm pretty secure.