Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Montezuma Theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   boxed style doesn't work (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=19384)

Ilke Jan 19, 2013 07:37 AM

boxed style doesn't work

I am still working on the site www.tastenfischer.de.
I have uncommented the container in the layout.css and done so as well in the index.php of the main templates.
The site doesn't react to it though. The header, body, breadcrumbs and footer all have their own box shadow. Only when getting to the posts and comments, the container shows (I gave it a colored border, that makes it obvious right away).
Do I need to adjust yet another file somewhere?

Thanks,
Ilke

jerryc Jan 19, 2013 08:09 AM

I see a boxed shadow around your whole layout, and it looks very nice. I'm not sure what else you're trying to do.

Sometimes, isp's cache css files, and, even if you do a reload you see the old one. Try reloading now. If that's a problem with your isp, try your test css in the test template or your test document before moving it to the css files.

Ilke Jan 19, 2013 09:05 AM

Thanks for having a lot at my site. Unfortunately, the shadow only looks as if it's all around; if you look closely, you see that the breadcrumbs-area has no shadow left and right (because when it had, there was the same shadow overflowing the header above and the body below), and the shadow of the footer overflows onto the body as well, only I made it small, so it doesn't show too much. It only looks a bit 'dirty', it was more obvious when the background of the pages was white - then the bottom of the sidebar next to it looked 'dirty' indeed.
Also, I gave the container a pink border, and that doesn't appear, because of the missing boxed style. It looks kind of okay, but knowing what's wrong, I know I'm cheating my way through it.

Ilke Jan 19, 2013 09:06 AM

BTW, I also emptied the cache and tried different browsers and computers.

lmilesw Jan 19, 2013 09:22 AM

Did you also "uncomment div#container in main templates" as instructed in the layout.css?

Ilke Jan 19, 2013 12:14 PM

Yes, I did, as I described (or tried to) in my original post. Took me a while to figure out just what that meant. It's also where I added the pink border, to check whether it shows on the site. And strange enough, it's the layout I get when I search for the posts (which is not even a function of the site, I just filled in some examples and ended up on the blog once by accident. But then I saw the pink border and a complete box shadow without interruptions).

jerryc Jan 19, 2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilke (Post 95102)
BTW, I also emptied the cache and tried different browsers and computers.

Yes, but if your isp is caching it (for example, as comcast, does) you'll still get the old css file, even with a new browser and computer. I pulled my hair out over this a few years ago until I figured it out. If it's not happening for you, it might happening to somebody else, so it's worth mentioning.

jerryc Jan 19, 2013 01:08 PM

Here's an easy clean slate to test new css. http://cssdesk.com/ I expect that there are others.

lmilesw Jan 19, 2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilke (Post 95111)
Yes, I did, as I described (or tried to) in my original post. Took me a while to figure out just what that meant. It's also where I added the pink border, to check whether it shows on the site. And strange enough, it's the layout I get when I search for the posts (which is not even a function of the site, I just filled in some examples and ended up on the blog once by accident. But then I saw the pink border and a complete box shadow without interruptions).

What I was talking about was taking off the comment code from

<!--<div id="container">--> and <!--</div>-->

in index.php
so you left with

<div id="container"> and </div>

When I did that along with removing the comments from the CSS the shadow showed fine for me.

Ilke Jan 20, 2013 02:57 AM

"I have uncommented the container in the layout.css and done so as well in the index.php of the main templates." - is what I wrote in my original post.

This is my index.php:

<div id="container">

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="main" class="row">

<div id="content" class="cf col8">

<?php bfa_content_nav( 'multinav1' ); ?>

<?php bfa_loop( 'postformat' ); ?>

<?php bfa_content_nav( 'multinav2' ); ?>

</div>

<div id="widgetarea-one" class="col4">
<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'Widget Area ONE' ); ?>
</div>

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

</div>

and this is my layout.css:

/* Uncomment for boxed style,
also uncomment div#container in main templates */

#container {
display: table;
background: #ffccff;
-moz-box-sizing: content-box;
-webkit-box-sizing: content-box;
box-sizing: content-box;
-o-box-sizing: content-box;
margin: 0 auto;
box-shadow: 0 0px 60px #ccc;
-moz-box-shadow: 0 0px 60px #ccc;
border: solid 5px #ffccff;
}

/* The header area full width background */
#banner-bg {
background: #ffffff;
}

/* The header area */
#banner {
padding: 20px 0 0 40px;
position: relative;
border-top: solid 0px #ffcc00;
}

#logo-area {
margin-left: 3px;
margin-top: 10px;
margin-bottom: 20px;
}

@media only screen and (max-width: 959px) {
#banner > div, #banner > nav {
float: none;
width: 100%;
}
}

/* The main row, with the #content column and perhaps sidebars left/right */
#main {
padding: 0px 20px 0 20px;
border-bottom: solid 2px #ddd;
z-index: 2;
}

/* A sidebar */
#widgetarea-one {
padding: 10px 8px 0 20px;
}

/* The content column */
#content {
padding: 20px 0 0 20px;
}

/* The footer full width background */
#footer-bg {
border-top: solid 0px #ddd;
overflow-top: hidden;
}

/* Footer content area */
#footer {
text-align: left;
padding: 18px 0px 18px 40px;
color: #666666;
-moz-box-shadow: 0px 30px 60px 0px #ccc;
-webkit-box-shadow: 0px 30px 60px 0px #ccc;
box-shadow: 0px 30px 60px 0px #ccc;
}

But maybe everything looks good enough, and the missing part of the shadow next to the breadcrumbs and the footer aren't so obvious.
Thanks for all the help and the online css-sandbox!

Ilke Jan 20, 2013 03:19 AM

You can see the difference by searching for something nonexistent, then the not-found-page opens up and shows a pink border and a slightly different shadow. That's when I think the boxed style is effective.

juggledad Jan 20, 2013 04:00 AM

Suggestion: Never tough the physical template code/css unless a patch tells you to.

Larry is talking about the VIRTUAL TEMPLATES not the physical templates.
ie mto->Main Template->index.php

jerryc Jan 20, 2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 95134)
Suggestion: Never tough the physical template code/css unless a patch tells you to.

Juggledad, this is one of the best pieces of advice you ever gave me.

Quote:

Larry is talking about the VIRTUAL TEMPLATES not the physical templates.
For newbies, this means edit your templates from the wp admin interface > montezuma options, not via ftp, cpanel, or any other way.

Ilke Jan 20, 2013 08:55 AM

Juggledad, the layout.css and the index.php I edited are both in the montezuma options on the wp dashboard. I don't think I messed with the physical templates, only when I adjusted the language somewhere (montezuma.pot).
I'll keep your words in mind, though...

juggledad Jan 20, 2013 12:18 PM

go to mto->export import and export your settings and attach them to a reply

Ilke Jan 21, 2013 02:31 AM

Here's the file.
Thanks for all the effort!

juggledad Jan 21, 2013 03:43 AM

you need to save it as a text file - don't use word, word tedns to add things t the file that mess up things like exports.

(bty - never do a copy and paste from a word document into a post uless you use the 'Paste from Word' icon which will strip all the formatting from the post - that way it won't mess up WordPress)

Ilke Jan 21, 2013 04:42 AM

I tried, but it's a .rtf-file, and that didn't work. Invalid file. So I made it a doc, which was a valid file at least.
Busy day, I'll try fixing that later.

juggledad Jan 21, 2013 04:55 AM

When you go to mto->Export Import, you will see a box labled 'Current Montezuma Settings'
copy everything in that box and open WordPad.
Paste the contents into WordPad and
ten do a 'Save As' and select the format '.TXT'

Ilke Jan 21, 2013 07:38 AM

Sorry, mac os has the text editor which always saves text as rich text format. I now found how I can change it to plain text. Here it comes.

juggledad Jan 21, 2013 09:42 AM

there is an odd issue that on some hosts when you uncomment the first div in the index.php virtual template, it is being ignored. I have no idea why but will dig into it while time permits.

meanwhile there is an easy get arround. Copy the
HTML Code:

<div id="container">
from virtual template 'index.php' and put it as the first line of the virtual template 'header.php' and add a
HTML Code:

</div>
as the last line of the virtual template 'footer.php'

jerryc Jan 21, 2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 95200)
there is an odd issue that on some hosts when you uncomment the first div in the index.php virtual template, it is being ignored.

Juggledad, I was having trouble with my home page using index.php for my template, and you told me to make and use a template named front-page.php. Since I did that, it's been fine.

Ilke Jan 21, 2013 12:01 PM

Wow. Wow! I am impressed. So easy, and it works like a charm. What a relief.
Thanks a hundred times!

juggledad Jan 21, 2013 02:22 PM

the site is no longer showing, just a contact page...

Ilke Jan 22, 2013 02:39 AM

Thanks, yes, that's good, there's still some content I am waiting for, and I won't get it till next week. Until it's all filled in, it's supposed to not show. I checked it though. It worked wonderfully on three browsers.