Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Header configuration & styling (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Extra space in header (left of logo and right of search bar). (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=14260)

AndrewKelley May 21, 2011 10:16 AM

Extra space in header (left of logo and right of search bar).

I am certain that I've overlooked something obvious. But after substantial time rooting around in the theme options, I can't figure out how to get rid of the extra space at the left and right at the very top of the header (left of the logo and right of the search bar). You can see what I'm referring to here.

Thanks for any pointers about how to get rid of the extra space.

aQuickStudy May 21, 2011 12:51 PM

With the logo, are you looking for the text to align with the edge of the tree image? It looks like your actual logo image file includes that space. You could either upload a new image file with the logo flush left in the file, or you could use a negative margin to move the exiting image over. -10px for the left margin should do it.

For the search, you've got a margin going on:

Code:

div.searchbox-form {
margin: 5px 10px 5px 10px;
}

AndrewKelley May 21, 2011 06:47 PM

You're right about the image file -- since the margins at left and right were more or less symmetrical, I (incorrectly) assumed that it was a padding issue. Thanks for setting me straight. :)

However, I am not sure why the search box is styled with a margin. Here's what I have listed in the "style the search box" field in Atahualpa:

border: none;
border-bottom: 0;
width: 200px;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;

Andrew

aQuickStudy May 21, 2011 07:00 PM

That box is dealing with a different "layer" of the code. You've got to change the margin I pasted before.

Go to the "Add HTML/ CSS Inserts" section and paste this in the "CSS Inserts" box:

Code:

div.searchbox-form {
margin: 5px 0px 5px 10px;
}

If that doesn't work after a hard refresh, you could add an "!important" a la:

Code:

div.searchbox-form {
margin: 5px 0px 5px 10px !important;
}

juggledad May 21, 2011 07:43 PM

or you could use the built in section for the search box styling at ato-> Style & edit HEADER AREA
->Search box

AndrewKelley May 21, 2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 65982)
or you could use the built in section for the search box styling at ato-> Style & edit HEADER AREA
->Search box

Thanks, Juggledad. I've already tried that, unfortunately. I have it set as I describe above, but I'm still getting the padding.

juggledad May 22, 2011 03:30 AM

the reason is that in css.php there is a hard coded
HTML Code:

div.searchbox-form {
        }

not everything can have a theme option, imagine how many pages of options there would be in that case :)

AndrewKelley May 22, 2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 65990)
the reason is that in css.php there is a hard coded
HTML Code:

div.searchbox-form {
        }

not everything can have a theme option, imagine how many pages of options there would be in that case :)

Yeah, fair enough. And easy enough to fix. Thanks to you and aQuickStudy. I made a donation to Atahualpa yesterday, and I'm going to make an additional donation to your "tip jar" after I post this. Great theme, and great support community.