Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Sidebars & Widgets (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   [SOLVED] Right sidebar, footer, and small top bar have vanished. (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=23977)

Drizzt Jul 29, 2017 12:57 PM

[SOLVED] Right sidebar, footer, and small top bar have vanished.

Hello! I use Atahualpa Yesterday the main page for my site (sci-clops.com) suddenly stopped displaying the right hand side, footer, small black bar at the top of the page (with login fields and other things) and majority of the posts I put in throughout the day. In the center, it will display three to four posts (posts are always in the center as I have a left sidebar, center, and on the right side a custom sidebar) now, but no more than that. I had set it to display 10-15 posts all the time. Oddly, if I click on one of the 3-4 posts, a new page appears (as it normally does) and I can see all the settings which I cannot see on the main page. So the problem appears to be isolated to the main, or home page.
I checked in appearance > widgits > custom forum sidebar and all the settings are still there. The custom forum sidebar replaces my right sidebar. My right and left inner sidebars are still empty (as they should be).
I have screenshots of how the main page should look if you'd like me to put those in but I believe if you click the one of the posts, you should see the normal page layout anyway.
I notice there's a caching feature at the top of my page which I never touch. It's options are 1. Purge All 2. Purge This Page 3. Cache Settings. Note that the caching feature also no longer appears at the top of my main page either. Not sure if I should mess with this.
I've read the posts Content No Longer Displayed In Sidebar and also Sidebar Reset After Upgrading to Version 3.7.24. BUT, I may have missed a step. Any ideas would be appreciated.

juggledad Jul 29, 2017 04:54 PM

debugging 101 - when something crazy happens, disable all your plugins and see what changes. If the issue goes away, then activate the plugins back in one or two at a time till you find the conflict.

Drizzt Jul 29, 2017 05:14 PM

Thanks! I'll get to work on that and let you know how it goes! I appreciate the quick reply! :)

Drizzt Jul 29, 2017 05:32 PM

Deactivated/Activated all plugins, checked page after each one. No good. :(

Drizzt Jul 30, 2017 10:30 AM

After working on this for a while unsuccessfully, I think I can clarify my problem a bit more...

1. The Wordpress admin tool bar which shows at the top of the pages won't appear on the main page only, but will appear on other pages. I checked the code in the Theme Footer.php area and it appears to be there. Here's the code snippet:

<?php wp_footer(); ?>
</div>
<!-- / Full Width Footer -->
<?php } ?>

<?php bfa_incl('html_inserts_body_bottom'); ?>
</body>
</html>

2. In Dashboard > Settings, I have the boxes set to show at least 15 posts with the most recent 10 items. But only a handful are showing. I unchecked, reloaded pages, rechecked the boxes -
no good. Additionally, there's no way to go from the main page to older posts any more.

3. I had a footer inserted at the bottom of the main page with copyright and legal stuff. That's gone now.

4. All the features on the right side of the page have vanished on the main page only - login, forum links, ads, etc. But if you view an individual post (which opens in a new page), all the features are there. Interestingly, the left side features are all fine as the left sidebar is the only currently working sidebar.

I deactivated every plugin and brought them back up one at a time, checking the home page each time. Other pages were fine but the home page remained broken. I even had a few updates for some plugins still hanging out there so I updated them one at a time, deactivated them/activated them and checked the page each time. No good.

I've been researching and reading a LOT of old Juggledad posts ;) as I'm really trying to make an effort to solve this myself. It's only the main page that has all the problems.

Note that I have not updated to Wordpress 4.8 yet as I was concerned that it could be an even bigger mess.

Any other ideas are appreciated!

juggledad Jul 30, 2017 12:40 PM

Export your ATA settings (at a->export/import) and attach them to a reply

Drizzt Jul 30, 2017 01:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. Thank you in advance for looking at this. :)

juggledad Jul 30, 2017 05:41 PM

ok, I just imported the settings and it works fine on my site so something else is happening.

If you want to send me a PM with an admin ID/password, I'll poke around tomorrow morning (early EST)

juggledad Jul 31, 2017 03:40 AM

Ok, the problem was with one of your posts. The iframe was causing the issue. I changed the post to a draft and the site looked fine so I republished it and it's now working

I think it must have been a caching issue with the iframe.

When you see a page not render correctly and stop after N posts, first you check the plugins, then you check the posts and it could be the last one displayed or the next one, so disabling those two could lead to discovering that it is something in the post.

Anyways your all set for now and hopefully learned something.

(extra - how I solved this was to view the home page and then use the browser to view the source. I copied the source to a text file and named it xxx.html and saved it (xxx could be anything). I then drag that file to my browser and it displays. I could then edit the file, save it and refresh the browser to see the results. When I removed that post, the site started working, so I then went back into your site and set the post to draft and the site started working. Clearing out the cache and republishing the post fixed what ever issue was being caused.

Drizzt Jul 31, 2017 08:20 AM

Site is back up and running! Many thanks for all your help on this problem! In literally thousands of posts on my site, I've never had this happen before and never would have figured this out. What a great way to start the week!