Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Plugins & Atahualpa (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [SOLVED] Very bizarre behavior... (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18064)

mcphoto Jul 27, 2012 07:18 AM

[SOLVED] Very bizarre behavior...

I'm developing an ATA site for a friend. He had another friend install the wp-checkout plugin (ecommerce). Which broke the site severely.

I deleted all the plugin files and deleted the tables from the DB that the plugin added. Still busted.

I deactivated all plugins - nope.

But when I switch themes, the site returns to working properly. Only ATA is damaged.

So, I switched to 20-10 theme, installed a fresh ATA folder, re-named the old folder, and switched back to the new ATA. STILL broken. (I noticed that the new version of ATA retained all the styling without having to import the settings file, which may have something to do with the carryover of the errors?)

Anyone seen anything like this before? Site is davidcastellmastering.com - now all of the pages have "read more" links (which don't work); and contact form 7 forms are only displaying text content of the forms.

I don't have a pre-errors DB or ATA file; the site had just gotten to the point where I was ready to backup - the ecommerce dude was going to do a DB dump before he started... but forgot to. Seems like there must be something to delete vs. starting from scratch!

(Ignore the JS errors, a script is looking for a DIV that is hidden behind a "read more".)

mcphoto Jul 27, 2012 07:21 AM

I also noticed something: in the old ATA version, I deleted the "powered by ATA" stuff from the footer (yes I paid for that...) The new site should be using an unedited footer, but the "powered by" isn't visible.

Is there some sort of cache file I should be looking for?

juggledad Jul 27, 2012 07:30 AM

i would try a couple things
1) change the premalinks ack to teh defaule, then back to what you have
2) disable all plugins and see what it does

the theme settings are stored in the options table so upgrades don't mess things up.

mcphoto Jul 27, 2012 09:17 AM

Thanks JD - Playing with this still, more out of curiosity now - I did deactivate plugs as a first step.

I installed WP & ATA in a new directory, imported my ATA settings from the old site and some code I'd pasted into the old header - worked fine as expected.

I imported the database from the old site - which broke the new site, same symptoms. So there's something corrupted or stored in the database that's not a table from the plugin.

I'll see if I can just import the old posts from the old database and nothing else - there's a lot of content created. Not a mySql wiz but will suss it out - I'll try the permalinks first though and see what happens.

Lesson learned - I should back up way more often in the development stages! I use automated DB backup when a site is done which gives me great peace of mind, but I'm still working in the "all that HTML is on my local and backed up nightly so no problem" mindset.

juggledad Jul 27, 2012 09:26 AM

if you want, send me a pPM with an admin id/pw and I'll take a peek.

what do you have teh dashboard->settings->reading->Blog pages show at most set to?

why do you have a read more on the pages?

mclinger Aug 12, 2012 06:42 PM

I am having a very similar problem. In my case if I activate more than 4 plugins I start to lose elements on the page. Plugin #5 (any plugin) and the right side bar widgets disappear, Plugin #6 and the body on the main page disappears, plugin #6 and everything below the header disappears.

I deleted the theme, reinstalled the theme and hand configured it back to my style and this didn't fix the problem. The problem doesn't exist in several other themes I have tried including Mantra and Twenty Eleven.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Marke

markeclinger.com

juggledad Aug 12, 2012 06:59 PM

Sounds like you maybe exceeding the php memory limit. You need to contact your host and see what it currently is ask see if they will up the amount.

mclinger Aug 12, 2012 07:30 PM

Thanks for the incredibly fast reply! I made a change to PHP (switched from PHP 5.2 to PHP 5.2 FastCGI) and that fixed the problem.

Thanks!