Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Share This not working in bylines (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17209)

Hody Apr 4, 2012 01:49 PM

Share This not working in bylines

Hi Guys,

I installed the plugin at work, used the %share-this% tag in all the byline settings at the post/page settings - and the buttons showed up fine.
When I came home and wanted to continue my work, the buttons were gone and I cant get them back. Tried various browsers, the code seems to be there but the buttons somehow dont show anymore.

juggledad Apr 4, 2012 03:43 PM

what version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the url pointing to the issue?

Hody Apr 4, 2012 11:18 PM

Atahualpa 3.7.3
Wordpress Version 3.3.1
newlayout.tribe-online.de (test url)

Tried again today and now they are showing. Did not change anything, just activated the plugin again, as I tried yesterday various time. Both Browser and OS are the same in job and at home - just the internet connections differs - do the buttons maybe load from an external source?

juggledad Apr 5, 2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

do the buttons maybe load from an external source?
you would have to look at the plugin to tell this.

Hody Apr 6, 2012 04:28 AM

The buttons get loaded from an external source as FireFly shows. I took my laptop to home now. On my PC at home the social buttons in share this wouldnīt show in Opera, Firefox or IE while on my laptop shows them all. Also tried with an Android tablet and an iPad and they show.
So now I am worry that my pvt machine would not be the only one affected by that error - which would be bad. Also once the Pop-Up Windows for Share This shows on my machine the "X" on the top right wonīt let close it.

The Code within the wordpress is the same always, the browsers are same, the OS is the same - so I canīt figure why the will show in one machine and not in the other. Even if I use my laptop at home they show there but not on my pvt computer - I am really confused. :confused::confused::confused:

juggledad Apr 6, 2012 04:34 AM

It might be that your computer doesn't have some component installed - like java -or you have an old release of something. Or technology has passed it by. Imagine if you were running windows 98 and tried to view the web...

Hody Apr 7, 2012 08:34 AM

No my PC has all updates installed, even more than the office laptop - seems everybody else gets to see the social icons - can you check newlayout.tribe-online.de as well pls - let me know if you can see them, pls!

lmilesw Apr 7, 2012 09:07 AM

I can see them. Maybe try clearing your browser cache.

Hody Apr 7, 2012 10:44 AM

I will leave the plugin plugin active for the moment thanks

Hody Apr 20, 2012 06:14 AM

Hi guys,

share this seems to have a bug, the buttons are only showing on some machines, their support can not figure out why this happens.

I would want to put the buttons of another PI into the byline, they were so nice to provide me with the needed bit of php code

PHP Code:

< ?php echo _trackableshare_embed(); ?> 

Where do I have to add this, in order to appear directly at the beginning of the byline, tried to write it in the styling option where the %share-this% was, but not working...

Hody Apr 20, 2012 08:04 AM

Learning to use firebug I tried:

HTML Code:

#post-byline .shareinpost
{
display: run-in;
}

but I dont get it to work?

I could also use CSS to move them, if they are a widget

#trackable-sharing

but what is the correct syntax to display them in byline, canīt use absolute measurement with pixels for the byline(s).

lmilesw Apr 20, 2012 10:49 AM

Not sure what you want to do but post-byline is a class not an ID as is indicated by your CSS

Hody Apr 21, 2012 02:15 PM

Larry, you gave me in another thread some CSS code to suppress the output of the social buttons of the trackable sharing PI in my widgets within the body.

Now I thought I could use the same logic to trigger it's output within the bylines. Otherwise I have to use the php mentioned earlier on

lmilesw Apr 21, 2012 02:30 PM

I am still not sure what you are trying to do.

Hody Apr 21, 2012 02:43 PM

Trigger the output for the trackable sharing PI within the bylines (replacing %share-this).

I received the php code for it from the developer mentioned in my post at 2:14 pm.

Instead of using that code, because of not knowing where to put it. I thought I could turn CSS code given in http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17365 around to trigger the output in the bylines

lmilesw Apr 21, 2012 08:11 PM

If I am thinking of the same thing you are the CSS was to hide an item that is already there. You can't use CSS to "trigger" something to show. You are getting into stuff that requires a lot of playing around with the idea that some things may not work.

You MIGHT be able to add a new widget area where you want the output of your plugin to show and then use a php aware widget to for the code. There are several plugins that give you a php aware widget. You can do a search on wordpress.org to find.

After that it's back to CSS to style. This is the kind of stuff I sometimes spend hours on and that's with having access to the site and knowledge of CSS and how the theme works.

I wish there were some simple instructions I could give but the best I think to do is point you in a direction.

Hody Apr 22, 2012 04:18 AM

Thanks for the indebt reply.

I already successfully managed to create a new widget area within the body and added php to show the boxes for the meta of the reviews.

But it seems to bit over the top to this in the anyhow small bylines section just to output social buttons there.
Somewhere in the code must be the script the triggers the output of the share-this buttons if %share-this% is entered within the style editing post/page section. If that is replaced by the script for the trackable-share buttons it should work in theory.

Also within that section it says:

Quote:

NOTE: On single post pages the %comments('...')% link won't display anything because the comments are on the same page. If you still want to link to the comments, the comment section and the comment form start with named anchors, so you use something like this:
<?php echo '<a href="'.getH().'comments">Skip to comments</a>'; ?> or <?php echo '<a href="'.getH().'commentform">Skip to comments form</a>'; ?>
So should it not be possible to use php directly there?

lmilesw Apr 22, 2012 01:33 PM

That bit of text needs to be removed as any php other than new widget areas is not allowed.

Hody Apr 23, 2012 06:59 AM

Hmmm, so no way to add anything else then pre-configured %...% expressions to the byline?

lmilesw Apr 23, 2012 07:13 AM

You can add plain text and HTML

Hody Apr 23, 2012 07:24 AM

But php wrapped in html wonīt work, will it?

lmilesw Apr 23, 2012 07:28 AM

No... As mentioned previously you would have to add a new widget area and use a php aware widget.

Hody Apr 23, 2012 07:33 AM

Using the php aware PI already for my metaboxes.

So I just would need to create a widget and put the line to trigger the widget:
Quote:

<?php bfa_widget_area('parameter=value&paramater=value&p aramater=value'); ?>
directly in the byline - I am confused now, as this is php too? Or do I have to add the widget in the index.php?

Thanks

lmilesw Apr 23, 2012 10:13 AM

• Create a new widget area by adding the new widget area code in the byline area
  • Add your php code to a php aware widget that you put in that new widget area