Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   [SOLVED] Byline tooltip? (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=9763)

sunsfan Sep 19, 2010 07:55 PM

[SOLVED] Byline tooltip?

Using 3.5.3

I would like to change the text in the tool tip when hovering over the byline. Currently I have the byline setup for a link to a website and when hovering, it now say "Visit (authors) Website".

Anyone have ideas on how to change that.

Thanks in advance for help.

juggledad Sep 20, 2010 04:27 AM

what is the url?
what EXACTLY do you have in the byline settings?

sunsfan Sep 20, 2010 10:48 AM

It is on a internal dev server right now, so I can't supply the url.

I the byline setup to link to the authors website using %author-link% in the "edit post/page info items". I would like to change the tooltip that appears when you hover over that link.

Thanks

juggledad Sep 20, 2010 11:14 AM

So all you put in the by-line is
HTML Code:

%author-link%
can you provide one of the author's links that is giving the issue - you can PM it to me if you don't want to enter it here.

sunsfan Sep 20, 2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 43960)
So all you put in the by-line is
HTML Code:

%author-link%
can you provide one of the author's links that is giving the issue - you can PM it to me if you don't want to enter it here.

Sorry, juggledad, not sure what you mean. The %author-link% uses what I entered into the users profile website field. So I have that field set up as a page on the site of authors bio. I would like the change the text in the tooltip to Say " Read (authors) Bio" and not "Visit (authors) website"

Does that make sense?

juggledad Sep 20, 2010 01:00 PM

Atahualpa is calling a WordPress function and it returns the entire link html. You can change the text, but you will have to edit author-template.php (it is the wp-includes folder of wordpress) and find the routine
HTML Code:

function get_the_author_link() {
        if ( get_the_author_meta('url') ) {
                return '<a href="' . get_the_author_meta('url') . '" title="' . esc_attr( sprintf(__("Visit %s’s website"), get_the_author()) ) . '" rel="external">' . get_the_author() . '</a>';
        } else {
                return get_the_author();
        }
}

it's line 139 in WP 3.0.1

sunsfan Sep 20, 2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 43968)
Atahualpa is calling a WordPress function and it returns the entire link html. You can change the text, but you will have to edit author-template.php (it is the wp-includes folder of wordpress) and find the routine
HTML Code:

function get_the_author_link() {
        if ( get_the_author_meta('url') ) {
                return '<a href="' . get_the_author_meta('url') . '" title="' . esc_attr( sprintf(__("Visit %s’s website"), get_the_author()) ) . '" rel="external">' . get_the_author() . '</a>';
        } else {
                return get_the_author();
        }
}

it's line 139 in WP 3.0.1

Let me say this SIR! You are the MAN. If half of the people I work with were half as knowledgeable about any one subject as you are.......the world would be a better place.

Just my way of saying thank you!