Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Strategy suggestion re: theme versions (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=12825)

paulae Feb 16, 2011 05:35 AM

Strategy suggestion re: theme versions

I have certain threads set to show me follow-up posts in email alerts. So I'm seeing so many new messages in threads about old versions of Atahualpa, and of course we all see Juggledad and Larry continually asking people, "which version of WP, which version of the theme are you using?"

Wouldn't it be better to require people to first update to the newest, stable version of the theme (and WP too, probably) before asking their question? That way, the moderators and the rest of us who like to help would be dealing with only one, current theme, not having to figure out what the differences were months ago.

Threads relating to old versions of the theme should be closed so that no new posts could be added to them. People should still be encouraged, via sticky posts, to use the search function to find answers, and of course, the answers will be different sometimes depending on the theme version they are using. That's why it seems essential, with such a backlog of old versions, to require everybody asking questions to at least be up to date on the theme. The moderators could put a note at the end of old threads pointing to a how-to about updating the theme.

What do you think? Is this a good idea or not?

juggledad Feb 16, 2011 05:48 AM

I think it is a good idea, but have you seen how many posts I've put "what version...' and people still say 'well I'm using the latest versions' which of course is a meaningless answer.

we are also closing old threads because they are the target of spammers (a daily issue) but you can only do so much.

I've actually stopped getting email notices because of the very issue you mention, so I just look at new posts each time I get in.

paulae Feb 16, 2011 05:55 AM

When someone registers so they can post, make them view and accept a statement like "I have installed version X.X.X of Atahualpa and version 3.X of Wordpress." Obviously, change that every time there is a new, stable version of either.

You'll still get those who fib about it and then ask questions, but at least you've warned them.

Sonja Feb 16, 2011 06:18 PM

Paulae said
Quote:

require people to first update to the newest, stable version of the theme
That is the rub. Stable normally implies a certain level of testing/certification. Wordpress for example has number of levels of testing - alpha, beta & RC before people are gently nudged to upgrade.

How would an Atahualpa release be designated "stable"?

KatyDigg Feb 17, 2011 07:34 AM

Suggestion: Use the "Signature" facility on the forum - thereby displaying the appropriate version(s) and "Update" !

:)

runnerb0y Feb 17, 2011 09:26 AM

Berean,

Great idea. Unfortunately, some of us maintain sites of differing versions of WP and ATA. Not sure if there is a silver bullet on this topic.

paulae Feb 17, 2011 09:37 AM

I have various versions of Atahualpa running on different sites too. I usually wait a while when a new release comes out before switching any of them over, but my goal is to get them all on the same page, so to speak. I always do WP updates right away, having been burned early-on with a security hack.

I think keeping up to date on themes and OS is just part of webmastering.

KatyDigg Feb 18, 2011 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulae (Post 58243)
I think keeping up to date on themes and OS is just part of webmastering.

Likewise, best working practice, surely.