Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   getting 404 on blog (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7749)

jaden Jun 23, 2010 05:39 PM

getting 404 on blog

hi, i have just set up a new wp blog with atahualpa theme...i have it installed so that the home page is the post page, then i have 3 permanent pages...i find that often when i log onto the site, the home page describes 'not found' and my post is not there...i have extended the length of the number of lines on the first page, could this be the reason, or do you think a plugin could be interfering?

juggledad Jun 23, 2010 05:45 PM

(has nothing to do with the other thread so I move this to it's own thread)

What version of Atahualpa and WP?
What is the URL?
you say 'when i log onto the site, the home page describes 'not found'' what if you arn't logged into the backend?
Have you tried with all the plugins deactivated?
What happens if you swap to the default theme,?
Does it always happen,or just sometimes?

jaden Jun 23, 2010 05:50 PM

it happens inconsistently, but when i view the site with my wp-admin open it will work properly, but when i log out, and just type in the URL it goes back...the url is www.blalorphysio.com

juggledad Jun 23, 2010 06:00 PM

what do you have set at dashboard->settings->General for 'WordPress address (URL)' and 'Blog address (URL)'

jaden Jun 23, 2010 07:45 PM

http://www.blalorphysio.com in both

jaden Jun 23, 2010 10:17 PM

Atahualpa 3.4.9

it keeps offering me to upgrade to wordpress 3.0 but i just downloaded a couple weeks ago, so i don't know where to find which version i have

juggledad Jun 24, 2010 03:34 AM

what do you have set at dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays?
what do you have set at ATO->Page Menu Bar->Home link in Page Menu Bar?
Did you create a page called 'Home'? (don't)

jaden Jun 24, 2010 08:49 AM

reading settings: a static page is chosen, without a front page or a post page selected

page menu bar: it has a title called 'home' which my theme is calling 'default', i did not create it,

jaden Jun 24, 2010 08:50 AM

what i am trying to accomplish is a static page on my main URL

juggledad Jun 24, 2010 12:41 PM

Well this explains the 404. You are telling wprdpress that you don't whan a landing page, hence the 404. If you want a static landing page, create a page an denter it's name here. If you want your blog to be teh landing page, then switch to 'Front page displays X Your latest posts'

So you should create a static page and made that the entry for Front Page:
Then create a page called 'my blog' or what ever, and select that for the 'Posts Page'

jaden Jun 24, 2010 01:31 PM

yes, this seems to work, is there a way to set a page as the home page, but not have it viewed as well as one of the tabs up top, so i don't display duplicate pages
found the answer on the forum

jaden Jun 24, 2010 01:31 PM

one more question while i'm at it, how can i reorder my page tabs once i have created them?

found the answer on the forum

jaden Jun 24, 2010 01:34 PM

Then create a page called 'my blog' or what ever, and select that for the 'Posts Page'

where would i go to do this step?

juggledad Jun 24, 2010 03:09 PM

Once you create the page, go to dashboard- settings-reading- front page displays and set the post page to the page you just created

jaden Jun 24, 2010 03:38 PM

sorry, i asked 3 questions in a row, so i'm not sure which one your answer referred to

1. "is there a way to set a page as the home page, but not have it viewed as well as one of the tabs up top, so i don't display duplicate pages "

or 3. create a page called 'my blog' or what ever, and select that for the 'Posts Page'

when i go to the reading settings i only see options for front page displays so i can choose a specific page, but if i wanted to create an additional place for blog posts as well as having a static front page, i'm not sure which part of the dashboard applies

jaden Jun 25, 2010 03:03 PM

i have one last issue unresolved, when i go to settings-reading-settings and it looks like this

Front page displays

Front page displays (unchecked) Your latest posts

(checked)A static page (select below)

Front page: - Select - blalor
Posts page: - Select - Blog

when i go to the Blog page it reads 'page not found"

can you tell where i am in error? this is my attempt to have a static front page, with an active Blog on a seperate page

juggledad Jun 25, 2010 09:30 PM

Did you create a page called 'Blog'? You need to, it can be empty but it has to exist.