Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   New Versions, & Updating (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [SOLVED] Oddity in ugrading from 3.7.18 to 3.7.20 (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=22995)

Alan_OldStudent Jan 7, 2015 04:34 PM

[SOLVED] Oddity in ugrading from 3.7.18 to 3.7.20

I installed an exact duplicate of my site to my WAMPSERVER on my Windows 7 machine, and in the dashboard, I successfully updated ATA from 3.7.18 to 3.7.20. It took about 10 or 15 seconds.

But when I tried to do the same thing on my live site, the upgrade failed with the following error message:
Quote:

An error occurred while updating Atahualpa: The package could not be installed. The package contains no files.
I will try to upgrade manually following Juggledad's instructions, but this anomaly puzzled me.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent
The unexamined life is not worth living—Socrates
Gracias a la vida, que me ha dado tanto—Violeta Parra

juggledad Jan 7, 2015 04:56 PM

Sounds like the update failed. I'd use FTP to look at the contents of the theme folder and see if anyting was in it.

also look at what is in the wp-contents/updates folder

Alan_OldStudent Jan 7, 2015 06:14 PM

Hi JD,

Everything in the /wp-content/themes/Atahualpa was dated 12/28/2013, so nothing changed there, and I didn't see anything unusual. I have my own theme images in the /wp-content/ata-images directory, so they should all be okay. The site looks okay. I looked in the /wp-content/upgrade/ directory and found a subdirectory called "/wp-content/upgrade/Atahualpa.tmp", and it had no content. So, that's what the error message meant, I guess.

I think I'm just going to create a new theme directory called "atahualpa_3_7_20" and copy the theme folder from my functioning WAMPSERVER installation, try to activate that, and see what happens. I regularly back up the site as well as the ATA settings.

My site is at http://15nowtacoma.info/.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

juggledad Jan 7, 2015 07:46 PM

Make sure to delete that too folder. There was probably a time out downloading the theme from wp

Alan_OldStudent Jan 8, 2015 04:36 AM

Hello JD,

I really freaked myself out.

I created a atahualpa_3_7_20 directory in the /wp-content/ directory and put an unzipped version of 3.7.20 in it. I went to the dashboard and activated it. I then went to ATA>Export/Import settings and pasted the contents of the ata-15nowtacomainfo-201501** file into it. The site looked pretty good, except that the menu was an older menu.

So I figured something happened to it and switched back to ATA 3.7.18. There, the menus were fine. So I went to the ATA>Export/Import settings and saved those settings again to another spot on my hard drive. I reactivated 3.7.20 and pasted the supposedly good and newly-saved configuration file into the ATA>Export/Import settings screen of 3.7.20 and got the confirmation message

However, surprisingly enough, the menus once again were still messed up. So I reactivated ATA 3.7.18 again. The menus remained defective.

I looked at the Dashboard>Appearance>Menu to see what was going on. My next surprise was that the intended menu was there on the back end, but nothing could make the front end reflect this. It was the old one that showed up, not what was programmed in at the back end.

I did the obvious stuff, like hitting both Save Menu buttons, flushing my browser, using other browsers, but the new menu setup would not affect what was on the front.

After a bit of frantic fiddling, I deleted the copy of my website I had on my WAMPSERVER (i.e., not the live copy) and reinstalled it from my backup, which I had wisely made before I embarked on this sordid little adventure.

The menus looked correct on the WAMPSERVER. So I copied the configuration file from the WAMPSERVER installation to the live installation, which by then had 3.7.18 activated.

The menu then showed up just fine on the live site, as it should, but I'm back to ATA 3.7.18.

It seems that updating ATA to 3.7320 does bizarre things to the menu. Have there been reports of that?

I'm afraid to go back to ATA 3.7.20 until I know why the menu reverted on the front page and what I can do to prevent it, as careful saving of the configuration file doesn't seem to do the trick.

Do you have any ideas what went awry and what I can do? I hope this narrative is clear.

Regards,

Alan OldStudent

juggledad Jan 8, 2015 04:47 AM

1) are you using the Atahualpa automatic menu or a WP Custom menu?
2) if using a WP custom menu - check the menu location (dashboard->Appearances->Menu ==> Menu Location tab

Alan_OldStudent Jan 8, 2015 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juggledad (Post 111205)
1) are you using the Atahualpa automatic menu or a WP Custom menu?
2) if using a WP custom menu - check the menu location (dashboard->Appearances->Menu ==> Menu Location tab

I am using a custom menu. I just backed up my live site and took down the site on the WAMPSERVER. I then restored it from the backup of the live site, as the live site had both 3.7.18 and 3.7.20 in the subdirectories as listed
  • ~/wp-content/themes/Atahualpa
  • ~/wp-content/themes/3_7_20_Atahualpa)

The 3.7.18 theme was the active one, so I activated the 3.7.20 one, and the menu was not correct. When I went to Dashboard>Appearance>Menus>Manage Locations, I saw that "menu 1" dropdown had "select a menu" in the dropdown. So I selected "Main Menu" and all was fine.

Here's what I think happened, for anyone searching for an answer to a similar problem:
  1. In the "ATA>Style & edit HEADER AREA>Configure Header Area," I had chosen this.
    • %logo %bar1 %image %bar2 %pages
    That was so I could style the menu in ATA.
  2. Then, I created a custom menu I named "Main Menu"
  3. Then, I upgraded the theme, and when I did so, the Dashboard>appearance>menus>manage locations defaulted to --Select a Menu-- instead of Main Menu.
  4. That resulted in the default Pages menu that ATA had instead of my custom menu

So be warned, everybody, upgrading Atahualpa may disable your custom menu and default to the automatically-generated menu until you re-chose it from the Dashboard>Appearance>Menus>Manage Locations!

Late this evening, I'm going to make the change to my live site and hope it all works.

For those who want to see how my site looks, it's at http://15nowtacoma.info/

Regards,

Alan OldStudent