Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Excerpts, Read more, Pagination (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [SOLVED] Upgrade Excerpt Difference in More Action / lost pictures, blackbirdpie twee (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=17754)

dgpeters Jun 5, 2012 11:05 PM

[SOLVED] Upgrade Excerpt Difference in More Action / lost pictures, blackbirdpie twee

I had to upgrade from 3.5.4 to the current version of the theme for security reasons. (I know, I know , I should have done it a while ago but we had made a number of changes and were happy with the site)

In 3.5.4 version I found that if I put in the more tag where I wanted to split the post, I got the added benefit of the picture showing up, blackbird pie showing tweets, vimeo windows showing, etc.
Now in 3.7.7 that's all gone.

Is there any way I can go back to selecting where I want the excerpt to end and maintaining all of the pictures, video, blackbird pie tweets (basically exactly the same look as the full post)?

Thanks,

Dale

juggledad Jun 6, 2012 03:16 AM

are you displaying excerpts or full posts? (ato->convigure EXCERPTS)

dgpeters Jun 6, 2012 07:59 AM

Now I have it configured to post only excerpts, but since it doesn't display right I have the Show the first x posts set to 3. You can see the problem in posts 4 and on at www.digitalbond.com.

You can see it best if you scroll down to the second Friday News & Notes blog entry on the home page. There is no picture, and the tweet of the week is not shown correctly (see the first Friday News & Notes blog, the 2nd or 3rd blog entry to see how it should look).

The way we used to use the theme was to always decide where the break was and use the more tag. Then the picture, blackbird pie, vimeo, all looked right.

Note - there appears to be another change, but it isn't a problem. We use to have the excerpts set at 255 words, but sometimes the More break was lower than that. In the old version the More break was what determined the excerpt length. Now it is the 255 words. Not a big deal as we moved the excerpt length up to 2000 words, and the More always occurs before that.

Thanks for your help.

Dale

juggledad Jun 6, 2012 08:21 AM

the more tag is working fine for me, if the post is a full post, the <!--more--> causes the break
if it is an excerpt and the excerpt count is past the <!--more-->, the break is at the more otherwise it is at the excerpt length

Have you tried temporallary disabling all plugins?

dgpeters Jun 6, 2012 08:36 AM

I haven't tried disabling all plugins. I'll give it a try.

Again, the issue isn't the <!--more--> tag not working. It will set the length of the exceprt.

It's that in the previous version it allowed the excerpt to look just like the full post up to the <!--more--> tag in the full post.

- The original picture and size showed up, so I wasn't required to enter a feature image or be restricted by a set size of that image.

- Something like this [blackbirdpie id="199754204951220224"] showed up properly

- Similarly shortcode for vimeo showed up properly.

Dale

juggledad Jun 6, 2012 10:18 AM

If you set the post page to display 'Full Posts' (ato->configure EXCERPTS) then the <!--more--. will cause the break and all the contents to that point ill show up.

dgpeters Jun 6, 2012 02:18 PM

Thanks so much. That worked (Full Posts with More).

Dale