Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Page & Category Menu Bars (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Sub menu as a localized menu? (or Prev/Next) (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7385)

linearconcepts Jun 1, 2010 02:42 PM

Sub menu as a localized menu? (or Prev/Next)

Coming from an ASP background, I'm new to Wordpress, so bear with me if my nomenclature needs help.

First of all, I'm not building a blog site. I don't need daily posts.

I'm migrating my hand-built ASP site to Atahualpa 3.2 as it seems to handle everything I want. All of my ASP pages (several hundred and growing) will be done as WordPress Pages, and I want them to be as menu items and sub-menu items. So far, so good.

However, a many of the Pages will be under a particular Parent, and I'd like to have an optional sub menu for just these Pages to show the other Pages that are also under the same Parent. Not all the pages will need this submenu, but a few of the Parent pages that have 20+ Pages will need localized submenus. (Hope that makes sense). An alternative to this (preferably in addition to this!), would be to have <<Prev and Next>> links that take the visitor to the prev/next Page under that parent.

I've no clue how to implement that in WP, let alone Atahualpa. Any suggestions?

If I ended up with something like this, I wouldn't be upset.
http://www.linearconcepts.com/photos/2007-israel-03.asp
(note the menu navigation in the top-right - which is actually a subset of the whole site, although you don't see the whole site nav here. Also note the prev/next button at the bottom.)

Thanks!!

TIM

juggledad Jun 1, 2010 05:03 PM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wordpress and Atahualpa!

First off, don't use 3.2, please install version 3.5.1 of Atahualpa (you can get it at http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=92)

as for the menu's - with wordpress there are all types of plugins that work on menus. You should try some of them out - experiment a little.

linearconcepts Jun 1, 2010 06:11 PM

Thanks. I'm uploading the latest version right now.

Unfortunately, my post here comes after toying with various themes, widgets and plugins for several months off/on now, resulting in nothing but a frustration of many "close-but-no-cigar" solutions. I've got about 10 plugins that I've settled on for various things, and the rest I've deleted. Unfortunately, none of the menu plugins I've tried have done what I've needed, so I'm thinking there must be something wrong with the terminology that I'm using to search for these things. The closest thing I've found is a menu widget that I can insert into my PHP footer that will give me what I want, but I have to specify every page it is to include - which is a management nightmare (why can't I just specify the parent and let the computer figure it out? If it could do that, I'd be all set).

And everything I've found for Prev|Next links only refers to paginated items (which are irrelevant to my site) and Posts (I'm using Pages, not Posts).

So either I'm missing something very basic (concept/syntax/etc), or I'm wanting something that only a handful of people want (which I find highly unlikely).

So in my perfect dream world, I'd find a widget that lets me do....

1. Prev|Next links (preferably at the bottom of the Page) to allow users to move between all the Pages under a common ParentPage.

and/or

2. Sub-menu that can be posted so that it only displays a) when a certain pages are viewed b) it only displays a list of Pages under the same ParentPage

Here's a hypothetical implementation:
If someone clicks on my Travel menu and selects the Italy Page, they should see the Page for RomeDay01 alongside a menu that also shows RomeDay02,RomeDay03...VeniceDay14 as all those Pages have Italy designated as the Parent Page. They should not see ParisDay01 or MoscowDay03 or LondonDay02 as those are under France, Russia and UK, respectively. And when reading RomeDay07, if they click on the Prev link, they get RomeDay06, and if they click on Next, they get VeniceDay08. They don't see anything under my History, Photography or Theology sections as those are all different Parent Pages.

Hopefully that makes sense.

And hopefully someone out there already has a widget that does this.

TIM

juggledad Jun 1, 2010 07:23 PM

As a proof of concept, I just tried a simple experiment. I added a text widget to the sidebar and installed teh exec-php plugin. I then put this in the text widget
HTML Code:

?php
global $post; 
echo 'page='.$post->ID.'<br>';
?>

ths will echo the pade id for what ever page you are on HOWEVER it does not give a page ID for teh home page or and Category pages or Archives - just page pages.

With this you could use one of the wordpress functions to list the subpages of just the page you are on. So it is doable.

linearconcepts Jun 1, 2010 11:53 PM

Hmmm. Well, I guess I have a lot of documentation to read then.

Thanks! This will give me something to play with.

(and you're right - the updated theme is definitely worth installing. Not sure how I ended up with an older one.)

Right now, I'm using a widget called Flexi-pages. I've played with this one before and didn't find what I was looking for - but for some reason, it's getting pretty doggone close to what I want, so I'll stick with it for now.

Thanks again!