Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA (http://forum.bytesforall.com/index.php)
-   Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme (http://forum.bytesforall.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CSS Shadows & Radius not showing on all browsers (http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=18057)

petro7447 Jul 26, 2012 10:06 AM

CSS Shadows & Radius not showing on all browsers

I am trying to get my site to look the same across all browsers…I would like to have border-radius and box shadow around the white, “content” part of the page (www.choosemyplan.com).

Originally, I could not get the radius to show on either FF14 or Safari5.1, and could only get the box shadow to display on FF. I added “display:block” to #bodyrow, and all looked great on both browsers. However, when viewing the “blog” page (www.choosemyplan.com/blog), it takes #middle and puts it beneath #left…I have no idea why…Only removing “display:block” from #bodyrow will allow the blog page to be displayed properly…however, I then lose the radius and box-shadow on Safari, and radius on FF.

Wordpress 3.2.1
ATA 3.7.1

Thanks in advance

juggledad Jul 26, 2012 10:50 AM

1) why are you on such an old Atahualpa and WP release?

Quote:

I am trying to get my site to look the same across all browsers…
it never will unless you spend an awful lot of time coding around the shortcomings of IE

while most browsers handle rounding corners IE doesn't until IE9

petro7447 Jul 26, 2012 11:06 AM

juggledad...thanks for the response. I have not updated...simply because I don't know how to. I am not a web designer, but rather trying to clean up/finish the job of someone I hired. I am not concerned with IE because I realize that it is not as flexible as the other browsers, and I don't have time to learn how to customize the site for IE.

Are you saying if I update both ATA and WP, my issue would be resolved?

juggledad Jul 26, 2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Are you saying if I update both ATA and WP, my issue would be resolved?
I'm saying that you are behind in the maintenance of your site and do not have all th lates patches on. Will updating fix your issue? I don't know and won't until you update. If you want me to dig in and figure out what exactly is causing the issue, I'd be happy to, send me a PM and I will quote you my rate

or you could use FireBug to look at the code to determine what is causing it or make a copy of the theme and copy the settings over a page at a time to see which is causing the issue and then figure out a solution.

petro7447 Jul 26, 2012 01:03 PM

I have looked using firebug, and cannot determine what is causing the problem, otherwise I would have fixed it. The change occurs only on the blog page...I am wondering if there is something I can modify in the CSS for the blog page that will allow it to display properly?

juggledad Jul 26, 2012 01:24 PM

As I said back in April when you first started asking questions, there is more than 2000 lines of extra CSS inthis site. That is going to make it nearly impossible to tweek and you would be better off having someone redo the site. Yes I know you already paid someone and weren't happy, but your problem could be caused by some part of that 2000 lines of code and no one is going to look thru them for nothing. If you are not techinally savy enough to find the issues you really need to hire someone to help you.

petro7447 Jul 26, 2012 02:45 PM

I have posted 3 times since April...you make it sound like I post a new thread daily. I realize my site was not designed correctly, and all I am trying to do is to get it done having no design experience. It was my belief that this forum's purpose was for people to help people...not for people to solicit their services. I'd rather you said you just don't want to help.

juggledad Jul 26, 2012 03:11 PM

it's not that I don't want to help you, I AM trying to help you.

2000+ extra lines of CSS makes a site that will be impossible to maintain and you should have someone fix it. In my honest opinion you would be better served by having someone that knows atahualpa, rebuild the sitee. There are a number of developers on the fiorums that would probably do it (sharonj, lmilesw, Dave Pitman to name a few). Maybe you should send a PM to each of them and ask them what they think of the maintainability of the site.

if you want to try, remove all 2000+ lines in the CSS Inserts and then add them back in a group at a time till you find what is causing the issue. then you can ask 'why is this css causing me a problem'

lmilesw Jul 26, 2012 08:38 PM

The remove all the CSS would be my approach as well. Just be sure you have a copy of it and perhaps also export the settings via Export/Import settings.

The other unknown is did the first designer add code to the theme?
So I would probably...
  • Add Atahualpa377 in its own folder using the manual update method as mentioned in the FAQs
  • Take out all the CSS in CSS Inserts
  • Start adding it back in a bit at a time.
  • If things really go south just add all the CSS back in and switch back to the current version of the theme.
I played with the site with Firebug for awhile and much of what I tried did not work as expected which says to me there is CSS that is getting in the way.

This will be quite an involved process and probably take awhile. I wish I could be more help but would require a fair amount of time even if I had access to the site.

Dave Pitman Jul 26, 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petro7447 (Post 87928)
However, when viewing the “blog” page (www.choosemyplan.com/blog), it takes #middle and puts it beneath #left…I have no idea why…Only removing “display:block” from #bodyrow will allow the blog page to be displayed properly…however, I then lose the radius and box-shadow on Safari, and radius on FF.

Is this what you want?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1868808/tf/vv.jpg

I was able to achieve this in FF.14 and Chrome.20 I did not test in Safari.

I agree with Juggledad and Larry; If the theme is chock full of edits, it will be difficult to maintain. Unfortunately, it often takes longer to figure out what someone else has done in order to try and fix it, than to start clean.

SharonJ Aug 24, 2012 05:39 PM

I agree with all the above. I would certainly upgrade everything. It is not hard to do. You go to the dashboard and if you see a number beside the link for plugins or up in the top bar, you will know there is an upgrade.

Also know that if you upgrade the Atahualpa Theme, you will lose your banner, it will be overwritten by the defaults. DO NOT PANIC. In your FTP program, you simply go to wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images/header/ and re-upload your banner and delete the three default images.

The advice you are getting is right, Petro. 2000 lines of code is absolutely insane. My most complex site has not more than about 130 lines and that is pretty excessive.

To tell you the truth, what is important in your site is the content. NO ONE except you will be comparing your site in 3 or 4 browsers. It looks just fine in them all. If money is a problem for you right now because you already paid your designer, just concentrate on the content. It looks just fine in all browsers. When your business has some more money to spare on correcting the CSS, do it later.

Best wishes.